Arlie, iBooks, and global warming?!?!

So yesterday I work on the playlist for an hour or so as I’m trying to get out the door and home before Arlie goes to sleep… I get home, hang with the man for a little while then as he’s going down try and get on my iBook… Its actually gotten worse now, since getting it “fixed” not just the battery died but now there are all kinds of internal issues making it almost totally useless….actually I would prefer totally useless over kind of broken all the time, I could move on with my life….anyway I try to access my remote desktop and can’t anymore. Awesome.

Then I realize I haven’t sent out my playlist, its still “pending” so I’m able to get my email up to ask her to send it out….and very nicely does that and mentions to me “Wow, I didn’t know you had 35,000 members on your list!”. As I’m screaming no and trying to stop her from hitting send (I have more like 11,000) my computer goes blank again. I start laughing that weird, sort of crazy laugh you get when you know things are totally f’d up. I get back on just in time to see hundreds of out of office and various other responses flooding my inbox… went out to the entire database both new and old (and TRUST me when I say the “old” did not want ye ol john in the morning playlist….I think I got the three most abusive and mean emails ever. All in a row, waiting for me at 4:30am. I started my day with that laugh again….) about 35,000 people got the list Well, minus the thousands of return emails.

So I start deleting all that I can last night only to learn after a half hour that my email program LOOKS like it was deleting them but really, wasn’t. So they all come back. It took everything in my power not to A. Go crazy B. Start that weird laugh again C. Toss the iBook out the window and D. All of the above.

Instead I went the hot shower, nice dinner, sit down and watch that HBO special on global warming…which when put up against my computer woes really didn’t make me stressed out about the computer anymore….just about the earth killing itself. But that’s so big you just go to bed and wake up happy to be alive…until you see those 3 emails…..

Hopefully this one is just going out to the MF. I love you MF. Those other people freak me out.

This entry was posted in John In The Morning. Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted May 9, 2006 at 2:43 pm | Permalink

“I love you MF.”

On anybody else’s blog, that means something completely different.

2. Mmmmmike
    Posted May 9, 2006 at 5:37 pm | Permalink

Sorry to hear about your iBook. I’ve had 3 Apple laptops over the past 12 years and they’ve all held up well. Luck of the draw?

3. Posted May 9, 2006 at 11:22 pm | Permalink

I was one of those “old” recipients. One errant “Morning Faithful” email in 3 years isn’t going to kill anybody. Don’t stress about it.

4. Theo
    Posted May 10, 2006 at 12:09 am | Permalink

Even after hearing about your iBook woes I’m still thinking about getting one. I gotsta have a computer that costs more than my car.

5. erika
    Posted May 10, 2006 at 5:19 am | Permalink

i was one of those random 35,000! but unlike those bitchy-bitches out there, i was quite pleased.

6. Posted May 10, 2006 at 7:13 am | Permalink

Sorry to hear about your ibook, never have had a problem with mine. And that laugh, I have been having alot of those lately. I feel for ya.

7. Cheryl
    Posted May 10, 2006 at 9:01 am | Permalink

Totally get an ibook!! I love mine!! John loves his too. He’s just mad at it right now.

8. John Richards
    Posted May 10, 2006 at 10:19 am | Permalink

Can someone give me a contact at Apple who will listen to my plea for help?! 3 times this thing has gone out from some sort of design flaw. I’m told they’ll replace it but damned if I can find the person to sign off on that kind deal. They do that, all is forgiven, I’m ibook for life!!!

9. sarah
    Posted May 10, 2006 at 10:23 am | Permalink

My husband accidentally received one of the accident MF emails, and he really liked it and decided to subscribe to your list. So for him, it was a very happy accident. Perhaps it is all a part of my nefarious master plan to get my husband as into KEXP as I am. :)

I think some folks out there just need to chill out about email they get. For every 4 emails you get that are very scary, remember there are a bunch of relaxed “whatever” people out there who feel no reason to drop an email-bomb. My mac is way better than my PC (I have both) and it still turns on me occasionally – but not with such spectacular results.

10. Posted May 10, 2006 at 4:58 pm | Permalink

I thought that I had won some sort of contest (admittedly one that I didn’t know that I had entered, but still), which was why I got the playlist. I wouldn’t say I’m disappointed at all, or angry, or confused.

Maybe a little hungry…

11. Meghan
    Posted May 10, 2006 at 9:50 pm | Permalink

So that explains why I finally received a playlist?? I’ve been complaining for a year that all of my playlist subscriptions stopped arriving despite the fact that I am signed up. I’ve checked, many times. I’ve emailed Jason. I get no help, I get no love. And I was so excited to see your playlist in my email. Make it happen again John… please!

12. jeremyseattle
    Posted May 11, 2006 at 3:11 pm | Permalink

I am also one of the 35,000 and I really enjoyed the playlist. I hadn’t been paying enough attention to even know that the list existed – I just thought it was something new along with the blog. But now I’m signing up fer sure!