Mission Impossible To Watch...

Cheryl2.jpg

Last night I saw Mission Impossible III and, I just have to tell you that it was SO WRONG on so many levels. Not only did the movie suck in every possible way (even on the Cinerama screen it had no redeeming value) but I’m afraid I just can’t take Tom Cruise seriously anymore (not that I ever took him that seriously but at least I did like him at one point). In one scene, he got this crazy-ass look in his eyes when he was all straightjacketed up with one of those Hannibal Lector/dog muzzle leather face masks on and I thought “Dude, you’re not acting now. You’re really fucking crazy!” Everyone in the movie sucked (Well, maybe Phillip Seymour Hoffman was good but not good enough to call this movie good). The plot sucked. Did I  mention that Tom Cruise sucked? I do love that Mission Impossible theme music, though. But, 60 seconds of dom-dom, dom-dom dom-dom, dom-dom dom-dom, dom-dom dom-dom, dom-dom, na na na, na na na, na na na, na na, dom-dom.... can’t save this movie. Film School and Head Like a Kite, however, rocked the house at KEXP and Film School hung out in our lobby all day, which more than made up for it!

This entry was posted in Cheryl Waters. Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Anthony
    Posted May 11, 2006 at 10:29 am | Permalink

Cheryl,

Thanks for taking one for the team. I don’t think you should be faulted for at least liking Tom Cruise at one point. Anyone that Stanley Kubrick uses can’t be all that horrible. It’s too bad the movie sucked so bad. I would have hoped it would have at least been one of those superficially entertaining action flicks, but alas, it was not to be.

- Anthony

2. AMitch in ATL
    Posted May 11, 2006 at 10:31 am | Permalink

Lighten up, Cheryl! This movie was fun. Nothing more, but certainly nothing less. I appreciate the foreign films and docs as much and probably more than the next person, but to complete my diet movies like this and TV shows like 24 are much needed.

3. Tim
    Posted May 11, 2006 at 10:36 am | Permalink

Hi Cheryl,
    Thanks for going so I don’t have to.
    I haven’t watched a Tom Cruise movie since I winced my
    way through Top Gun. Watching him try to act is like
    watching a dancing bear- you are viewing a creature
    being forced to do something that it was obviously not
    designed to do. Actually, come to think of it, that
    comparison doesn’t do credit to the bears.
    Tim

4. Martin
    Posted May 11, 2006 at 10:43 am | Permalink

Yo, Cheryl.

What were you thinking when you went to see this film...? That Tom “I look even shorter when I run” Cruise would come out of his formulaic Scientology bubble and act for a change? That the director and producers would take a risk and alter their cash cow just for the fun of it? I mean c’mon...

I was talking to my girlfriend after we left the theatre and it really seemed like EVERY scene contained Tom. I don’t think there was 10 seconds, hell, FIVE seconds of footage that did not contain him. Can you say ‘vehicle’...? I knew you could.

But, our only expectation - to be lightly entertained - was met. And I LOVED Philip Hoffman; I just wish I could have seen more of him. I think it’s so cool when good guys and funny guys get cast as evil-to-the-core bad guys.

And Ving Rhames... say what you will about his character in this movie but that voice, incredible.

Now if only Laurence Fishburne would lose some weight.

5. Cheryl Waters
    Posted May 11, 2006 at 12:30 pm | Permalink

Hey AMitch,
    I like the action packed flicks as much as the nex t person . No one who knows me well would call me an indie/foreign film snob. For godsake, I watch Survivor and America’s Next Top Model religiously, in addition to 24 and Alias. And, in fact, I liked MI 1 and 2, which is why I was so excited to go see this one. So, film snob I am not. But MI 3 sucked. I stand by that! Of course, I admitted that I was highly prejudiced by my recent opinion that Tom Cruise is off his rocker. I just can’t watch him the same way anymore.

6. Charlie
    Posted May 11, 2006 at 1:09 pm | Permalink

Felicity...why, oh, why did you have to die? Nooooooooooooooooooo!

7. Posted May 11, 2006 at 3:27 pm | Permalink

You are by far a braver woman than I am! :) I applaud you for attempting to go and check it out. This totally made my day and was a well needed giggle at Tom. I walked into work today wanting to crawl under my desk to hide from my playing with La Rocca last night in NYC. I’m so happy this was the first thing I read!

Now if you want a laugh about my evening, you can read about it here:

8. Illinoise
    Posted May 11, 2006 at 5:23 pm | Permalink

Ouch. My entire film class went to see this movie and after much discussion we concluded that this Mission Impossible was far better than the first two. J.J. Abrams did a great job and I hope to see him direct many more films! And hell, the critics didn’t hate it either.....Sure it was a blockbuster with a flimsy plot and cheesy one-liners, but I was entertained, so I suppose.....Mission: Accomplished.

Uhhhh, Survivor? Barf. Almost as bad as American Idol.....and not in a it’s so bad it’s good way.

9. Posted May 12, 2006 at 7:40 am | Permalink

Well, Ms. Cheryl ... first hey stranger! Second, I’m glad to know you’re an Alias watcher as well. I know you’ll appreciate my sister’s assessment. “This movie would have been really, really good ... if Jennifer Garner had been in it and it was called Alias The Movie” :P

10. Cheryl Waters
    Posted May 12, 2006 at 10:38 am | Permalink

I have to admit, Kevin Cole got me hooked on most of the TV shows I watch. He lent me DVDs of Alias, 24 and Lost last year and I became hooked. I have never watch any of them on regular TV, though. I’m spoiled by the instant gratification that I get from the DVDs. I can’t wait a week for the next episode. I usually watch an entire season in a marathon weekend. Then, I have to wait a year to see the next season and I’ve forgotten who some of the characters are.

11. shani
    Posted May 12, 2006 at 12:17 pm | Permalink

i have watched 4 seasons of 24 and i refused to watch the 5th on TV for the same reason. waiting a week for the next episode is crap. who do they think they are? this is the land of ADD.