Life with Kevin…

Tea, CD’s, snacks, more tea… Kevin’s office

You may have heard John and Cheryl making fun of Kevin Cole’s tea obsession. Kevin drinks tea all day long. He keeps it in clear plastic bags that you get in the bulk section of your favorite natural foods market, and they sit on his desk looking like big bags of weed. I assure you they are varieties of green tea, not cannabis. These particular bags are #1012 and 1169. He prefers loose tea and I don’t think I’ve ever seen him drink the tea from the boxes, which makes me wonder why he has so many of them.

The loose leaf green and white – #1012 and 1169!

Moby is also big fan of green tea. He and Kevin hit it off when he was at the station last year. His autographed book is on the top shelf. Like Kevin, Moby prefers his green tea unflavored.

This entry was posted in Life With Kevin. Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. s
    Posted May 22, 2006 at 4:08 pm | Permalink

I always knew he was a HIPPIE. I mean with that hair…and now with the TEA? Hahahaha!!! Dude, can you hear Jerry’s voice in your head, man? Jerry and Bob Weir man….
    OK, we still love you Kevin. But we do have to rib you about the tea thing….

2. t
    Posted May 22, 2006 at 10:47 pm | Permalink

What!? No mention of the teavana tea-bong 2000 that he uses to steep his loose leaf.

3. Kevin Cole
    Posted May 22, 2006 at 11:50 pm | Permalink

Careful with the hippie thing…the hair/tea thing alone doesn’t make me a hippie. If I wore Birkenstocks and played that ball sack game I see John playing, then maybe. As for the Dead, all I can say is I’ve tried to like them, or at least understand, them. During the punk days I had no tolerance for the Dead. To me they represented part of what seemed “wrong” with music. Their music seemed so self indulgent with all the wanking (now called “jamming”), solos, excesses, and twirling. I needed instant gratification, and was into what the Ramones and the punks seemed intent on doing– refining/editing music to its essence. At the same time, I loved Television’s “Marquee Moon,” (one of my favorite albums ever!) which I remember being compared to a new wave Grateful Dead (that was a major bummer, man) because of their long songs and extended guitar solos. What a difference a black leather jacket can make…but back to the Dead–as I mellowed out a bit, I thought I should at least try to understand them, especially since many music lovers I respected liked the Dead. I figured, there has to be some redeeming quality. I even consulted with in-house Grateful Dead resident expert, Cheryl Waters. I was hoping she would be the oracle, and enlighten me, as word had it Cheryl even toured with the Dead, had been part of the tribe, following them around selling brownies in macramé pouches. So, I tried to get an appreciation for their long strange trip. Perhaps I needed to switch from the green tea to lsd to understand the appeal, as it never musically took hold for me. On the other hand, in retrospect, Jerry Garcia seems as radical as any of the punks—a complex mysterious man, with a twinkle in his eye, and a drive to live life to the fullest. Perhaps, he was a green tea lover?

4. Cool reply Kevin
    Posted May 23, 2006 at 11:59 am | Permalink

Have you outed Cheryl? I mean really! MACRAME POUCHES? Hahaha.
    Actually, I have a bit of a sordid past with them- they toured often through the town I grew up in, and as a music techie, I made much money working shows for them when I was younger.
    So, the other day, I was listening to my classic rock radio station in the morning (hey don’t get huffy, you guys don’t stream over clock radio, shush, I need to have some diversity sometime), anyways they did an all Grateful Dead show in the morning and I realized one great reason why I didn’t like the band (besides the wanking, er, noodling reference you made above. Very astute!)
    The Grateful Dead had horrible singing voices. No really. Just pure suck, they could barely carry a tune and they had no nuance or unique vocal burr qualifiers. They were just bland and -boring- voices, hardly in sync with each other. Yep. Radical sure, but I’ll take punk any day. Much more professional at what they did, even if it was screaming away.

5. Cheryl Waters
    Posted May 23, 2006 at 1:48 pm | Permalink

I’ll get you, Kevin Cole. And, you’re pretty dog too!!

6. Lisa Wood
    Posted May 24, 2006 at 8:51 am | Permalink

One of my favorite jokes….

Q: What’s red, orange and yellow and looks really good on a hippie?

A: Fire

Kev’s no hippie twirler. We love him, long hair, bags of tea and all!

7. Frida
    Posted May 24, 2006 at 7:43 pm | Permalink

I am tickled that my mandala made it to the tea shrine!
    But I sent him tea too…
    Gotta keep your DJ’s happy..

8. DJ HappyFunTimes
    Posted May 25, 2006 at 10:01 am | Permalink

I have fond memories of sipping Yogi Bedtime tea with a new-to-Seattle Kevin in my kitchen on cool spring evenings of 1998. He waxed Cotton Mather or Mike Scott and I learned of flax seed oil and ginko. We would laugh late into the evenings as our ankles swelled and we planned halibut recipes, pondered a chocolate covered pretzel boom, and which of the Donnas was most likely to fall in love one or the other of us. In the morning he would be in the kitchen with his Barenaked Ladies advance one of his chocolate covered mail-order donuts. I don’t recall wearing slippers, flip-flops or listening to the Phish–but he ordered donuts from a catalog.

9. Kevin Cole
    Posted May 25, 2006 at 11:44 am | Permalink

They were damn good donuts. And, this was pre-The Mighty O!

10. maggie
    Posted March 17, 2007 at 5:10 am | Permalink

chakra teas??? u on dailiOM? :) anyway I love tea too… mym mom thinks I am mad having so many boxes of ‘em :P

11. Shamsu
    Posted April 18, 2008 at 10:11 am | Permalink

That is alot of tea. i too drink 5-15 cups a day(decaf i cant take stimulants) but i love a good cup of chineese black tea. io also see that there is a book about Teany. is that a book just about Mobys cafe and the tea they brew there or is it more than that? Do you have any tasty sugestions for decaf teas? and what is in the tea bong in the tea bong pic?

One Trackback

1. […] Welcome back to Life With Kevin! It’s been awhile since I’ve written an installment of Life With Kevin. I’ve covered many of the interesting elements of Life With Kevin: tea, tea bongs, CDs, the basement, bagels, and kombucha. I thought there wasn’t anything left until… […]