Life with Kevin – KOMBUCHA!!!

The kombucha!!!!!!!

As you may have figured out Kevin is a super healthy guy. Healthy people sometimes tend to have strange tastes and habits in their quest to maintain good health. Kevin is no exception. One of the many things that Kevin does to stay healthy is drink something called kombucha.

According to Wikipedia, kombucha is “a tea contains a symbiosis of yeast species and acetic acid bacteria, mostly Bacterium xylinum.” Basically they take this yeast and bacteria, fement it, and bottle it as a healthy beverage. I won’t go into all of the supposed health benefits because frankly, I don’t know if it’s true or a bunch of b.s. and you can look them up online for yourself. All I know is that my boss Kevin loves his kombucha.

Kombucha tastes like vinegar. It’s one of those things that tastes really bad, but you think it’s doing something good for your body so you can overlook the bad taste. (A little like Jagermeister, perhaps?) It has little strands of gunk floating in it. One morning I called Kevin to let him know I’d be a little late because I was going to stop at my favorite natural foods market. He asked me to pick up a few bottles of kombucha for him and to “get the ones with big blobs floating in it.” He likes the blobs.

Kevin can’t pronounce kombucha. Whenever he opens a bottle he yells, “kombucha!” several times, each a different way. “kom-BOO-cha!” “KOM-bu-CHA!” I lived in Japan and heard real live Japanese people pronounce it “KOM-boo-cha” so I always correct him and he repeats it that way, only to go through the different pronunciations and correction the next time. It’s like a little kombucha ceremony in our office each time he cracks open a new bottle.

When he opens the bottle he pours it into either one or two paper cups and then chugs it down. There are several different flavors of kombucha available at the natural foods market. He has his preferences and there are a couple kinds that he doesn’t like, but I forget which ones they are. With my luck, that’lll be the flavor I pick up next time he asks me to get him a bottle.

This entry was posted in Life With Kevin. Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. DJ Jo
    Posted July 21, 2006 at 11:22 am | Permalink

oh man, that is just disgusting – blobs??? it has big blobs floating in it????? that just makes me think someone has hacked something up into it. years ago, kevin used to try to make me take these nasty liquid vitamin things he was into. now i’m giving thanks that he gave up on forcing the natural remedies on me before he got hooked on the kombucha. i don’t care how good for me something is if it has mystery blobs floating in it. can’t someone get the man a red bull??!

2. Albert
    Posted November 1, 2006 at 4:04 am | Permalink

Awesome, just awesome. You can laugh at him now, but when everybody is 70 and he’s the only healthy one, we’ll see who’s laughing..

KOM – BU – CHA!!

3. Posted December 18, 2006 at 10:46 pm | Permalink

I like a handful of drinks pretty good, a plethora just OK, and a bunch not so much. Until that day when my journey comes to its delicious end, I will continue to suckle on the teat of hope.

4. Noelle
    Posted March 7, 2007 at 3:33 pm | Permalink

I love Kombucha. And I love the big blobs. My colleagues think I’m a little crazy when I get it, but that’s what a healthnut reputation warrants.

5. Posted September 5, 2007 at 7:37 pm | Permalink

Kombucha does seem a bit strange if you’re not used to it. The same goes for taste. I quite enjoy the flavor of kombucha, but it definitely helps to have some fruit juice with it! Yay for probiotics!

6. Bartisimo
    Posted September 11, 2007 at 6:37 pm | Permalink

Kombucha doesn’t taste like vinegar!!! IMO. GO KOMBUCHA!!! #1

7. Posted February 28, 2008 at 10:00 pm | Permalink

One of the greatest drinks I’ve ever had! I even started brewing my own. It’s a lot like drinking non-alcoholic beer… it’s a bit hard to like at first, but after you start drinking it you just can’t stop. It’s like a Tattoo, you get it once and you just want more.. LOL. KOMBUCHA!!!

2 Trackbacks

1. By imagined-community » Drink Your Culture Live. on August 22, 2006 at 6:31 pm

[…] Maybe you just have to live on the west coast to truly appreciate live culture in a bottle. Kevin in Seattle suggests that the bad taste is a little like Jagermeister ( you can see him downing some brew at KEXP Blog ). As for me — I tried it. And now I think I’ll go back to my coffee. […]

2. […] Welcome back to Life With Kevin! It’s been awhile since I’ve written an installment of Life With Kevin. I’ve covered many of the interesting elements of Life With Kevin: tea, tea bongs, CDs, the basement, bagels, and kombucha. I thought there wasn’t anything left until… […]