Speaking of mix tapes…

The KEXP Volunteer Party was the brainstorm and creation of KEXP’s Uber-DJ/Staffer Rachel Ratner. One of Rachel’s kick ass ideas was to do a mix tape (or CD) swap. The idea was to bring a mix tape of music, drop it in the box on your way in, and pick one up at swap time. Coolest. Idea. Ever.

The Jam-Sound Affects.jpg

Some of us non-DJs (OK, me and Andrew) went a little nutty over the idea of making a mix tape. We don’t often get a chance to put together music for public consumption, so we were pretty psyched to make a mix. On Friday Online Content King Andrew came bounding into the office more excited than I’d ever seen him. He and his roommate had been up all night making their rocking creation. I’ll let him elaborate on it, but having listened to it I can vouch for it’s coolness.

Me? Well, being here around all these teens and twenty-something volunteers makes me feel a bit like a granny, so I made “The Fogey Comp: What I was listening to when you were still in diapers.” Most of my musically influential years were the very early 80s, so I picked the tracks that play like a soundtrack to my 1981-4, plus a few earlier tracks for good measure. Here’s the Fogey Comp:

1. Melody Lee – The Damned, Machine Gun Etiquette (1979)
2. Dream Police – Cheap Trick, Dream Police (1979)
3. Nights In White Satin – The Dickies, Dawn of the Dickies (1979)
4. Girl U Want – Devo, Freedom of Choice (1980)
5. Give Me Back My Man – The B-52’s, Wild Planet (1980)
6. That’s Entertainment – The Jam, Sound Affects (1980)
7. Un Baiser D’Enfant – Kate Bush, This Woman’s Work (1984)
8. Cico Buff – Cocteau Twins, Blue Bell Knoll (1988)
9. White Girl – X, Wild Gift (1981)
10. Another Nail In My Heart – Squeeze, Argybargy (1980)
11. Sleepwalk – Ultravox, Vienna (1980)
12. Sheena Is A Punk Rocker – The Ramones, Rocket To Russia (1977)
13. Tattooed Love Boys – The Pretenders, Pretenders (1980)
14. The Wait – Killing Joke, Killing Joke (1980)
15. William, It Was Really Nothing – The Smiths, Hatful of Hollow (1984)
16. Be My Wife – David Bowie, Low (1977)
17. Show Me – Lulu, Lulu´s Album (1970)
18. The Buzzcocks – Everybody’s Happy Nowadays, Singles Going Steady (1979)
19. Third Uncle – Bauhaus, The Sky’s Gone Out (1982)
20. Look Sharp! – Joe Jackson, Look Sharp! (1979)
21. Let Them All Talk – Elvis Costello & the Attractions, Punch The Clock (1983)

What was on your mix tape? Post it here! And if you were the one who made the cool comp with the KEXP heart track list featuring the Slits and McLusky, send me an email – it was awesome! lisas@kexp.org

This entry was posted in KEXP. Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted July 20, 2006 at 9:17 am | Permalink

My mix was from Jim Beckmann, volunteer extraordinaire – and it had the song “Do the Jane Fonda” – and an interview clip from William Shatner. I know everyone is jealous.

2. shani (kexp intern)
    Posted July 20, 2006 at 12:26 pm | Permalink

Man, this was a great idea. There’s nothing I love more than burrowing into other people’s musical zones, or sharing mine with others. Here’s my playlist, called “This is Not Dance Music”:

1. 90 Day Men- We Blame Chicago
    2. Alias & Tarsier- Dr. C
    3. Amandine- Blood and Marrow
    4. Amiina- Blaskjar
    5. Angels of Light & Akron/Family- Oceanside
    6. Broken Social Scene- Anthems for a Seventeen Year Old Girl
    7. Elastica- My Sex
    8. Galaxie 500- Blue Thunder
    9. Metallic Falcons- Nighttime and Morning (feat. Antony)
    10. Leonard Cohen- Chelsea Hotel No. 2
    11. Maerz- Introductory #1
    12. Nick Drake- From the Morning
    13. Richard Youngs- The World is Silence in Your Head
    14. Palace Brothers- More Brother Rides
    15. Sparklehorse- Maria’s Little Elbows
    16. Tape- Fire Made of Bones
    17. Liars- The Other Side of Mt. Heart Attack
    18. Spritualized- Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space
    19. Slowdive- Machine Gun

I was feeling a bit down and mellow when I made this mix, and it had that wonderful way of making me feel better during those few hours.

In contrast, I received 2 mixes, from Andrew and his friend Kris, which were much more rockin’ and upbeat, and I loved them! I have a few more to listen to (yeah, I got a bit greedy.. haha).. including Mr. Kevin Cole’s himself.. he had 2 actual TAPES i forget the title but basically just a 1993 best of, and some of it is familiar but some of it isn’t, and I sure as heck wasn’t a cool enough 11 year old to know that stuff back in the day :) So those babies are in the car right now, thank god I have a tape player there! Finally, I also got a “mystery cd” with no tracklisting, called Stranded in Airport Terminals. I love this one because there’s a story on the inside, how this girl received it before leaving on a trip and ended up listening to it in different airport terminals alone, her experience, the ambiance, and it totally exemplifies the beauty of the mixtape (mixcd).. that it’s a whole experience, not just a bunch of tracks that happen to live together on a piece of plastic. The beauty is not just in the songs but how somebody took the time to put them together in an order that meant something to them, and that they want to mean something to someone else! That’s something that is lost on a lot of records these days, but those that keep that aesthetic have a special place in my heart.

So anyway, thanks Rachel for a great idea!

3. Posted July 20, 2006 at 2:40 pm | Permalink

Here’s the one I made. I want to know who got it!

Summer Jams:

Bangor Mash – The Devil Makes Three
    When U Love Somebody – Fruit Bats
    Erotic City – Arto Lindsay
    The Best Is Yet to Come – Archer Prewitt
    On Looseleaf with Sharpie – Pure Horsehair
    All the World Is Green – Tom Waits

The mix I received was by a guy named Blake, and has excellent oldies and goodies on it. I need to listen some more.

And yeah, that was a great party. Many thanks!

4. PinkDoorLunch
    Posted July 21, 2006 at 12:43 am | Permalink

The exchange was a cool idea! And The Fogey Comp is the cat’s meow.

5. Bmathew
    Posted July 21, 2006 at 2:15 am | Permalink

Ok this is a bit embarassing because the mixtape I made wasn’t the one that I had started on making – I originally started on one with some b-sides from stuff I’d grown up with like Suede, Beautiful South, Manic Street Preachers, etc..but it got a bit depressing really. Then I came up with this idea of some upbeat remixes. To make matters worse, I didn’t put down on the CD that they were remixes so I think that affected its appeal :-|. I dropped 6 copies, I gave one to a guy I talked to who said “Oh yeah that sounds cool”, not so sure where the others went (Shani, didn’t you take one?). I left my email addy on the disk, would be cool to hear from anyone who got it (even if they hated it :) )

01. Exterminator (Massive Attack) – Primal Scream
    13. Romantic Rights (Marczech Makuziak) – Death From Above 1979
    14. Do You Realize? (Postal Service) – The Flaming Lips
    15. Left Right (JoolsMF Shoot’em Up) – Chemical Brothers
    16. Godless (Massive Attack) – Dandy Warhols
    17. Human After All (Sebastian) – Daft Punk
    18. Great Day (Four Tet) – Madvillain

I ran into someone putting their mix in and just randomly picked it up – it was titled “The Best CD You Will Ever Hear” which is full of gangsta rap! I could really do with a playlist….

6. Kris
    Posted July 21, 2006 at 12:29 pm | Permalink

I pulled a mixtape entitled “Mixed Tape: I made this just for you!” – and considering I grabbed it with only a handful of discs left in the bin, that certainly seemed so, even more so during the Beck>Aqueduct>Grandaddy>Eels>Cursive portion of the disc…

Sadly there was no other info on it, or ID3 tags – and there’s some great stuff I’m unfamiliar with – come clean, I am enjoying your tunes!

My mix was called Heavy.Metal.Dance.Party. Andrew handed a few out for me, but one or two went in the bin (with rad Ninja Gaiden/Contra/Neon Colored artwork)…

1) (Aquatic Cupid’s) Harpoons of Love – Thunderbirds Are Now!
    2) Kill Bill Vol. 4 – Modeselektor
    3) Party on Dudes (Get Hype) – Test Icicles
    4) Sexy Results (MSTRKRFT Edition) – Death From Above 1979
    5) Mister You’re on Fire Mister – Liars
    6) Hounds of Love (Phones’ Wolves at the Door Remix) – The Futureheads
    7) Good Weekend – Art Brut
    8) Fa Fa Fa – Datarock
    9) Tuff Ghost – The Unicorns
    10) Epie – Royksopp
    11) Double Dragon – The Minibosses
    12) Drop the Pressure – Milo
    13) Anthems for a Seventeen Year Old Girl – Broken Social Scene (The party’s over, make-your-way-to-the-door track…)

7. Jay Lijewski
    Posted July 21, 2006 at 2:25 pm | Permalink

Hey Lisa,

I got the Fogey Comp and I love the Clip Art old lady on the back!! I have been wearing that thing out, for sure! Thanks for the effort. This really was a great idea and props to Rachel for being such a colossal genius. I made mine really really last minute. It was called All About Animals. Every song had to do with animals in one way or another….

1. Flaming Lips—Knives Out
    2 Stereo Total—Do The Bambi
    3. Sugar Cubes— Chihuahua
    4. Sonic Youth—- Bull In The Heather
    5. Solex—– Honkey Donkey
    6. Neko Case—- The Tigers Have Spoken
    7. Leonard Cohen—-Bird On A Wire
    8. Joanna Newsom—- Sadie
    9 Tom Waites—- Rain Dogs
    10. Coco Rosie—- Noahs Ark
    11. Devendra Banhart—- Little Yellow Spider
    12. The secret track was Animal Collective doing Bees!!

I hope you like it, whoever you are!!!

8. Notorioius D-E-B
    Posted July 23, 2006 at 10:50 am | Permalink

Hey y’all-

Rachel, the mix tape idea was way rad. (I said it, “Way RAD”). I got your non-dance music CD shani-it was awesome! I think the mix tape should carry over to the BBQ- announce to all (on air) that there will be a mix tape swap table, hand out a stamp or something when someone turns one in, then at some point people will be able to come and get their swap. No peeking, though! I saw too many people picking and choosing their CDs…

Lisa, sounds like you got my CD…. rice is nice, no?

Notorioiusly yours,

9. Posted August 1, 2006 at 11:50 pm | Permalink

10. Posted October 1, 2006 at 6:19 pm | Permalink

Thanks for the information, I needed a pick me up.