Decibel Festival, just around the corner!

Photo courtesy of Latinsizer

The preliminary lineup for this year’s Decibel Festival was recently announced and it looks like it will be the strongest in the festival’s three year history! The festival features more than 80 electronic music artists from all over the world performing in 17 individual showcases over 4 days. This year’s lineup includes:

Green Velvet, Alex Smoke, Bola, Thomas Fehlmann, The Dead Texan, Fax, Telefon Tel Aviv, Apparat, Taylor Deupree, Funckarma, Richard Chartier, Subtle, Andreas Tilliander, Jeremy Ellis, Mokira, Claude Vonstroke, Panoptica, Kate Simko, Jacob London, Brett Johnson, Latinsizer, Tim Xavier, Soultek, Plankton Man, Lusine, Davide Squillace, Jerry Abstract, Son Of Rose, DJ Camea, Nordic Soul, Jon McMillion, Yann Novak, Logic Probe, Randy Jones, Sun Tzu Sound, + many more TBA!

Listen to a couple songs from Plankton Man and Latinsizer…

Sonora Kriptonita from Plankton Man vs. Terrestre – (MP3)
Vigia from Latinsizer Live – (MP3)
Ensamble de Lupe from Latinsizer Live – (MP3)
Centro from Latinsizer Live – (MP3)
Libelula from Latinsizer Live – (MP3)

KEXP is proud to sponsor the Decibel Festival from September 14-17, and to present the opening night Nortec Collective / Mexico Showcase at Neumos featuring Nortec Collective, Fax, Panoptica, Latinsizer, and Plankton Man. Check back for updates!

This entry was posted in Event Spotlight. Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Michelle
    Posted July 24, 2006 at 12:00 am | Permalink

OMG!!! Can’t wait. That line up is amazing!!!

2. Nordic
    Posted July 24, 2006 at 11:26 am | Permalink

Be sure and check out the new website ( – launched July 24th) for complete line up, showcase and ticket info. Here’s a link the the tickets page:

3. Posted July 24, 2006 at 1:53 pm | Permalink

Hot Damn!
    this is what makes living in Seattle so great!!!

4. phil
    Posted July 25, 2006 at 5:08 am | Permalink

It’s great that you guys are throwing electronic music fans a bone by presenting one of the showcases at Decibel Festival, but how about you guys actually playing any of the performing artists on the lineup? Out of all those artists listed the only one who I ever hear played on KEXP (other than on Expansions) is Telefon Tel Aviv. Why is it that KEXP will only play electronic music if it has vocals? Is electronic music without vocals not safe enough for you guys? Has John In The Morning, Cheryl Waters, Kevin Cole or any of the other daytime “variety” show djs ever even heard of any of those artists? Jumping on the Decibel bandwagon in order to try make yourselves look hip when you never even play any of the Decibel artists just makes you guys look very phony. Stop the token lipservice bullsh*t and start actually playing electronic music, even if it doesn’t have vocals.

5. Kevin Cole
    Posted July 25, 2006 at 2:11 pm | Permalink

Thanks for the feedback philinthespace—we love hearing from listeners. KEXP is committed to an eclectic mix of music handpicked by the DJ. I play instrumental electronic music on a regular basis–yesterday I played upcoming Decibel artist Speedy J in addition to electronic music from Aratone (local), Loco Dice, and Talvin Singh, as well as some reggae/dub, indie rock, old-school soul, sixties psychedelic garage rock, and hip-hop. Our variety mix shows are just that, a diverse mix of genres which might not appeal to folks with narrow, genre specific tastes. That’s one reason why we also have 14 specialty shows focusing on specific musical genres, from electronic, reggae, African music, world music, country, hip-hop, rockabilly, local, punk, jazz, roots, blues, and more. By the way, all of these shows are available to listen to on demand, which is cool, so anytime you want a mix of just electronic music you can listen to Expansions from the streaming archive. As for the Decibel bandwagon, I didn’t know there was one…we’re just trying to showcase, as we’ve done in the past, an outstanding locally produced festival bringing in electronic artists from all over the world. It should be a great event!

6. Phil
    Posted July 26, 2006 at 2:42 am | Permalink

Thanks for the response, Kevin. I’m actually really surprised. I was quite sure that you wouldn’t post my comments because they actually said something negative about KEXP. Now, if you post THESE comments I’ll be REALLY surprised!

While I sincerely wish that what you said is true, I’m afraid it’s pure canned PR fluff and you know it.

“KEXP is committed to an eclectic mix of music handpicked by the DJ. ”

Statements like these are perhaps what irks me the most about you guys. It is so insulting to the listeners’ intelligence when you say things like this that so obviously aren’t true. I’ll admit that your show is better than the other daytime shows when it comes to eclecticism, but the other daytime shows set the bar extremely low.

Now let’s take a look at your playlist from yesterday:

In the 2pm hour you played 14 songs. One of them was electronic without vocals and one of them was hip-hop. 11 of the remaining 12 were rock/pop. In the 3pm hour you also played 14 songs. One was was electronic without vocals, one was hip-hop, one was funk, and one was country. The remaining 10 were rock/pop. In the 4pm hour your played 16 songs. 2 of them were hip-hop. 12 of the remaining 14 were rock/pop. In the 5pm hour you played 13 songs. One one was electronic without vocals, one was hip-hop, one was dub. 9 of the remaining 10 were rock/pop.

So now let’s just break this down. Out of 57 songs you played, 42 were rock/pop. That’s 74%. So here’s a breakdown of your show by genre:

Rock/pop: 42 (74%)
    Electronic without vocals: 3 songs (5%)
    Hip-hop: 5 songs (9%)
    Jazz: 0%
    World: 0%
    All other genres combined: 7 songs (12%)

Now come on Kevin, when three-fourths of your show is rock/pop, and only one-twentieth of your show is electronic music without vocals, and less than one-tenth is hip-hop, and barely more than one-tenth is all other genres COMBINED, that just isn’t a very “diverse mix of genres”, now is it? Rather, it’s an overwelmingly rock/pop-biased show with a token amount of other genres. And don’t try to claim that the specialty shows somehow makes KEXP an eclectic station. A three hour once-a-week hip-hop show? A three hour once-a-week of electronic music show? A three hour once-a-week world music show? There are 168 hours in a week. A three hour show is less than 2% of the weekly programming.

So when one looks at the numbers – the facts – one can easily see that not only is KEXP not “committed to an eclectic mix of music”, but in fact it seems to care very, very little about any kind of music other than rock/pop. Why is that? Do you guys just not personally like other kinds of music? Or is it perhaps that rock/pop is the music that you guys think is most likely to appeal to your target market audience?

And I’m sorry, Kevin, but claiming that the music at KEXP is “handpicked by the DJ” is very misleading. All KEXP “variety” show djs have to play at least 6-8 songs from rotation CDs an hour, every hour. I know this for a fact because I know two different KEXP djs and they both told me the same thing (and one of them even showed me the actual KEXP programming guidelines document, where this is clearly stated). And you know damn well that the DJs are NOT the ones who decide what CDs go into rotation. So this so-called “handpicked” music is actually coming from CDs that were handpicked out for them by somebody else (I’m guessing maybe you?).

And please, spare me the backhanded insult of telling me that “anytime you want a mix of just electronic music you can listen to Expansions from the streaming archive”. My musical taste is WAY more eclectic and diverse than yours – or at least judging from you show it is. Electronic music is just one of several kinds of music I love. I love rock and pop too. But unlike you, if I were doing a radio show and claiming it to be “a diverse mix of genres”, I wouldn’t play 75% rock/pop compared to 5% electronic, 9% hip-hop, 0% jazz, 0% world, and 12% every other genre of music COMBINED.

One thing you are right about is the very last sentence you wrote in your reply. You’re right, Decibel Festival will be a great event, just like it was last year when you guys barely got involved, and just like the year before when you flat out ignored it. But again, it will be nice to see you guys jump on the band wagon and hopefully give this amazing festival happening right in your own backyard a little more than lipservice. I already have bought my festival pass and I’ll be coming down from Vancouver for it. See ya there?

7. Phil
    Posted August 1, 2006 at 1:22 am | Permalink

Greg is that you? Seriously, “Phil” quite yer damn hatin’ already. KEXP is a great station in comparison to 99% of the terrestrial radio stations out there and everyone knows it.

I am a HUGE fan of electronic music and I applaud KEXP for their involvement with Decibel the past two years. I am tired of all the damn pessimism revolving around KEXP’s rotation. They’re popular for a reason and I am confident that as forward thinking electronic music gains popularity in Seattle (which it is) so shall gain greater acceptance on KEXP. So what should you do in the meantime? Request the music you love, have patience and continue to support festival’s like Decibel.