photo by josh
- Coachella looms! Organizers have unveiled the full lineup for this year’s extravaganza, and once again the festival is a diverse one -- relatively speaking. Jack Johnson headlining the first night, Portishead the second? Gotta love that. Sitting atop night three’s bill is Roger Waters, who says he’ll play “Dark Side of the Moon” in its entirety. Am I the only one hoping that fellow Coachella performers Spiritualized get invited onstage to join Roger on that one? Other acts include Kraftwerk, Death Cab for Cutie, The Breeders, Jens Lekman, Madness, Animal Collective, M.I.A., Stars, The Verve, Black Lips, Rilo Kiley, Battles, Vampire Weekend, I’m From Barcelona, Hot Chip, Black Mountain, Diplo, Madness, Mum, Tegan and Sara, UNKLE, The National, Cold War Kids, Stephen Malkmus & the Jicks, and more. Hmm... something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue! Seems like they got it covered for 2008.
- M.Ward and Zooey Deschanel have announced that Merge will release Volume 1, the pair’s first album as She & Him, in March. Cue Once jokes, moviegoers.
- KEXP favorites Ghostland Observatory will release their newest, Robotique Majestique, on February 26th. Seattle will get no less than a two night stand (April 4-5) at the Showbox to celebrate. “Heavy Heart” comes from the upcoming release.
Ghostland Observatory - Heavy Heart (MP3)
- Amy, Amy, Amy. The irrepressible Ms. Winehouse will soon be off to Jamaica, to jump start the recording of the followup to “Back to Black”, says NME via the Daily Mirror. Of course, if your choice of UK tabloids is the Sun, the NME also says (will they make up their minds?) it’ll be a major feat for Winehouse to jump start anything in her present condition. Sadly, the Sun has obtained (and, cordially, webcast worldwide) a film of recent party antics that purportedly features the chanteuse engaging in behavior that makes Kate Moss seem positively angelic. Haven’t these folks learned not to let anyone with camera phones into the party? Here’s hoping the wildly talented - and just plain wild - Ms. Winehouse gets her train back on the rails soon.
- We love us some Radar Brothers, and here, thanks to Tripwire, is the video for new song “When Cold Air Goes to Sleep“! The full album, Auditorium, is out next week.
- The Shins and the Magnetic Fields -- two great tastes that taste great together. You Ain’t No Picasso has kindly offered up a nice live take of the former covering the latter’s “Strange Powers.”
The Shins - Strange Powers (MP3)
- Fleet Foxes have signed with Sub Pop, with a CD planned for summer. Perfect timing, as it’s just the right music for driving around with the top down during those, oh, eight to ten days of sunshine we get every July that passes for a “season” here in Seattle. To further rub it in, the EP they’ll release in February to tide fans over until then is called Sun Giant.
- Carl Barat, ex-Libertine and now frontdude for Dirty Pretty Things, was so enamored of the way Radiohead initially released In Rainbows, he wanted to follow suit by putting his own band’s new CD up on the web, and then passing the virtual hat. Unfortunately, manager Alan McGee said no. “I wanted to give the album away on the internet like Radiohead did,” Barat told the NME. “But Alan told me straight off that it wasn’t going to occur. Ah, well.” Way to stick to your guns, Carl! The working title, and we add this without a bit of irony, is This Is Where The Truth Begins.
- After 15 years of rehearsal, Leonard Cohen has announced a US tour will finally commence this spring. It should be a Very Leonard Year -- the bard will be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in a couple of months, and a new album is expected as well.
- Sitting on the Clinton/Obama fence? There’s no shortage of songwriters who are happy to tell you which box to check. Step right up, Win Butler! “I am watching Hillary Clinton in her victory speech in New Hampshire,” Arcade Fire frontman Butler writes on his blog. “They just threw a bunch of college kids behind her, and had her talk about student loans, and had her daughter come out for a long, awkward hug... does anyone actually buy it?” I’m guessing, he’s an Obama man.