KEXP & Radio New York: Radio Liberation coming March 24th!

radionewyork_ds.jpg
If you haven’t heard the news already, there’s big goings-on at KEXP. We have just announced our partnership, entitled Radio Liberation, with Radio New York 91.5 FM, the city’s public radio station.

Here’s the word from today’s press release:

Beginning on March 24, 2008, Radio Liberation will air KEXP-produced programming Monday through Friday on Radio New York 91.5 FM. The programming will feature a three-hour drive-time eclectic music show followed by three simulcast hours of The Morning Show with John Richards, a nightly world music show and a weekly music variety show hosted by KEXP DJ and senior director of programming Kevin Cole. While KEXP has always enjoyed a strong and loyal listening audience in the New York area, thanks to our live web streaming, we’re extremely excited to be in their terrestrial radios as well.

The countdown starts now! For more information, visit KEXP.ORG

This entry was posted in KEXP, New York. Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Dan
    Posted February 11, 2008 at 4:30 pm | Permalink

Can we get some lovin’ like this in Portland?

2. Michelle
    Posted February 12, 2008 at 8:53 am | Permalink

I read in the Seattle Times that John has been wanting to move to New York. I know this is good news for KEXP, but as an MF in Seattle, I can’t help but feeling a little like the jilted girl friend, with John saying “we’ll still be friends”.

3. Jamieson
    Posted February 12, 2008 at 9:30 am | Permalink

and Chicago too?

4. Morris
    Posted February 13, 2008 at 8:52 pm | Permalink

I doubt I’m the only one that feels this could potentially be bad news for our once local public radio scene...

Like a lot of other listeners of KEXP, I enjoy it because it plays a lot of local music. Plus, KEXP being local to the northwest added to it’s ability to lure great new artists from all around the world to our area, helping introduce new music to the listeners.

However, KEXP runs a great risk of easily slipping into a more national focus the larger it becomes - much smaller focus on local music. Also, new artists would have less of an incentive to visit the Seattle area if they can simply go to New York to receive the same listeners and exposure.

KEXP, I hope you’re aware you run the risk of alienating the people that love the station because it’s a Seattle station and not just another Jack FM or whatever...

KEXP,
    Don’t start to suck simply because of your desire to become some behemoth of a radio station. Seattle loves you because your for Seattle by Seattle.
    Love,
    Seattle

5. Posted February 13, 2008 at 11:12 pm | Permalink

Morris (aka “Seattle”), we tried to anticipate a lot of listeners’ concerns like yours as we put together this FAQ: http://www.kexp.org/newyork/qa.aspx. Rather than repeat it, I encourage you to read it for yourself. The bottom line, though, is that KEXP has maintained a commitment to Seattle music, and that won’t change because there are more listeners in New York. KEXP will not alter its programming in Seattle. In fact, out of 12 hours each weekday of prime radio hours, only three will be simulcast in NY. As for Seattle losing the ability to lure bands, well... we don’t hold ourselves in such high regard to think that the great bands who come to this great city come to visit KEXP alone! Regardless, our in-studios will continue to thrive as ever. Seattle is where our studio is. We had over 400 bands come through last year. You can expect a ton more this year too. And if John is on air in New York and someone happens to drop by and play, will that hurt KEXP or its listeners? I think not. Don’t worry, Morris (aka Seattle), if it’s new music you say you want, that you will continue to get, in spades, as we’ll have a direct pipeline into the most culturally diverse city in America, and we’ll always be listener powered radio!

6. Amy
    Posted February 20, 2008 at 9:52 am | Permalink

Hey I know lots of people are nervously commenting on this move and I just want to say that I have complete faith that KEXP will stay true to its mission and I trust what you are doing. I applaud the measured way in which you’ve escalated the exposure to what you are doing and you are truly the reason why a lot of amazing artists can actually make a living at what they are doing. I’m telling everyone I know anywhere near NYC about this move...Good Luck!!

7. Rick
    Posted February 26, 2008 at 2:56 pm | Permalink

Coming from the perspective of a Brooklynite this is fantastic news! Surprisingly, independent music radio programming in New York is practically nonexistant. This collaboration is exactly what we need here. Although I understand the concerns of those in Seattle I must say that this is going to bring many more listeners to the station, and with that a ton of donation money (I have already donated). Look at the case of WDET in Detroit. Similar station to KEXP, great local station with significant support and world class DJs. A cultural centerpiece to the city. Two years ago WDET changed formats for monetary reason and dropped all of its great independent music shows in favor of an all news format. It is tough to make it in independent radio, and even if KEXP isn’t in danger there is no question the financial support of so many more listeners will definitely be a benefit not only for New York but for the city of Seattle as well.

8. jen
    Posted March 13, 2008 at 5:03 am | Permalink

This is the best news ever in the wasteland of NY radio!

9. Robyn
    Posted April 15, 2008 at 5:11 am | Permalink

I’m listening right now with a deep breath of relief...I moved to New York from Seattle last fall, I’m grateful that the music moved with me!