Up and Coming on Audioasis 2/23

teamgina1_sm.jpg
Team Gina live on Audioasis 2/16
photo by Nathan Feder

This Saturday Audioasis will kick off its portion of the 2008 Spring Membership Drive. Audioasis DJ Lisa Wood and Assistant Producer Sharlese will be asking for gifts to support KEXP. Your gifts go a long way to support all the great things you love about the station and Audioasis.

Already this year Audioasis started with a huge bang! We’ve had incredible, and sometimes hilarious, in-studios by bands that are playing great music around the NW. It’s only February and we’ve had Team Gina, Partman Parthorse, and Police Teeth. Within the next couple months, Calvin Johnson, Awesome, and The Heavy Hearts will playing live.

Live at High Dive at the beginning of every month, Audioasis supports Northwest non-profits by putting on a benefit featuring local bands and artist. Grayskul, Sky Cries Mary, and Feral Children are just a few of bands that have not only volunteered their time to play music but also gave back to their own community.

kexp_spring2008_logo_sm.gifFor the spring drive, Audioasis will have special pledge packs that were hand selected by Audioasis DJ’s to give you a special insight into what they’re listening to. Each pledge pack contains 5 CD’s of awesome local music donated by the bands themselves and can be your gift with your support.

Give your gift to KEXP and support local music.

This entry was posted in Audioasis. Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Anthony Lombardi
    Posted February 27, 2008 at 3:02 pm | Permalink

Holy crap I heard that in studio by Team Gina and they are possibly the worst thing I have ever heard on the station if not the radio in general.

This is a great example of why quality over quantity is a good thing. Supporting local grassroots acts is one thing, but someone please tell me what one redeeming quality is for this band besides some loose connections to other Olympia bands and knowing someone at the station.

2. Posted February 27, 2008 at 3:15 pm | Permalink

Really? You see no redeeming qualities in this band? I think that there are quite a few who would disagree!

And not every band on Audioasis will be to everyone’s liking! That’s the point, isn’t it? This was hardly a case of nepotism — Team Gina has no connection to anyone at the station, and we’re hardly the first to book them. They were quite popular at the Capitol Hill Block Party last summer. But to each his own — right, Anthony?

3. Anthony Lombardi
    Posted February 28, 2008 at 10:49 am | Permalink

If irony equals quality then load up the airwaves. When one had to beg the dj’s to play Black Mountain when their debut came out, before Pitchfork liked them and all… and was rebuffed with “not a fan”, and “we don’t play every band with a demo tape”, it makes me wonder what gets a band on the air.

I must be missing the point of Team Gina- I’ll look for them to continue their white hot rise to the top of the local music scene.

4. Posted February 28, 2008 at 11:12 am | Permalink

Taste is obviously subjective. And according to my own personal taste, the latest from Black Mountain blows away their debut. It takes most bands a while to catch on. I wouldn’t expect everyone to love Team Gina either. Would you? Is it necessary that you do for us to play them on the local show?

5. Anthony Lombardi
    Posted February 28, 2008 at 1:52 pm | Permalink

Not at all- but being honest there is a line between sounding lo-fi and completely unprofessional and that in studio crossed it. For all I know, they could be in the middle of recording Exile on Main Street 2009, but I highly doubt it based on what I heard. It comes off to a listener as either some friends of someone at the station, or the station simply going with quantity over quality.

I’d say that when Black Mountain were SRO twice for in stores at Easy Street Queen Anne and sold out the Crocodile twice on that debut, they had “caught on” quite nicely. It just so happened that my requests to the station had happened a few weeks before this catching on began.

Agreeing to disagree I suppose, not all feedback is always positive.

6. Posted February 28, 2008 at 2:09 pm | Permalink

I guess that my issue with your disapproval is the assumption that nepotism is involved, that no other reason could be given (besides “quantity” — whatever that means), for the appearance of a band that DOES have listeners. Granted, they’re goofy and purposefully “unprofessional,” but just take a look at the audience enjoying themselves at their performance at the Capitol Hill Block Party:

7. Anthony Lombardi
    Posted February 28, 2008 at 2:16 pm | Permalink

Again- agreeing to disagree.

I think you should listen back to the archive and imgaine it through the ears of someone who never heard the band or its background until that moment. If, in this era of image, Pitchfork ratings and listening to songs instead of albums, where we should be looking for music which stands on its own, I think you will understand my WTF moment.

The picture does show a lot of people, but outside of the one guy who lost a fight with some beer, that crowd looks like one who is gathered up waiting for the next act to come on. The boredom in the girl with the grey tank top’s face is palpable.

8. Posted February 28, 2008 at 2:28 pm | Permalink

Hello Anthony, my name is Sharlese and I help book the in-studios on Audioasis. My problem with your comments in general is that you have no idea how the in-studios are booked here at KEXP. Team Gina is a group that actually is making an impact on the NW local scene. I had actually gone out to see them before even considering them for the show. I enjoyed the things that they said, their creativity, and that fact that they were fun. Between the 5 of us (Audioasis DJs), we try to see every band that is considered for the show besides listening to their recorded music. You are 1 out of a group of listeners who has taken it upon himself to comment on a show that is breaking ground for up and coming bands and artists. Honestly, Black Mountain doesn’t even compare: 2 different styles of music and on different in-studio times on KEXP. Bottom line, KEXP is all about the music, we don’t book bands because we know them. And there’s a simple solution if you don’t like an in-studio you’re hearing: change the channel. But don’t deny the fact that someone else might like it.

9. Posted February 28, 2008 at 3:01 pm | Permalink

Hey, are there any Team Gina fans out there? We’d love to hear what you think!

10. Posted February 28, 2008 at 3:51 pm | Permalink

I love Team Gina. Them and Scream Club are helping pioneer lesbian involvement in the music scene. Their lyrics are clever, their rythming is perfect.

Team Gina is a band to see live though, they involve audience participation and synchronized dancing. Having booked them for the Fusion Cafe, they were pleasant, showed up on time and had a ton of fun!

Anthony – I don’t think that you were rude at all, which on forums is really impressive. I think that you got ganged up on a little which is unfair.

-Ben Funkhouser

11. Posted February 28, 2008 at 3:54 pm | Permalink

And that picture was me watching Matt and Kim, not Team Gina.

Their show was great though.

12. Posted February 28, 2008 at 5:14 pm | Permalink

Ganged up? Unfair? Anthony actively pursued this! Sharlese books many of the in-studios for Audioasis so it’s only “fair” she chime in. Me, I just want to point out that you don’t have to love everything you hear on the air, but to deny the possibility that others might like them… well… that to me seems “unfair” (and unsupported assumptions about how you “have to know somebody” are my pet peeve — as if they couldn’t do it on their own!).

I should point out that I’m not actually a fan of Team Gina! But it’s not about what I like, what Anthony likes, or what Sharlese likes… not any one of us individually, that is, because there are enough people out there who do like Team Gina, people who listen to KEXP and Audioasis, so why not bring them on-air?

13. Posted February 28, 2008 at 5:44 pm | Permalink

Hey Ben, I’d have to agree with Jim about the “Ganged Up On” and “Unfair” comment. I am simply making Anthony aware of why we put bands on air. You don’t have to like it, I don’t have to like, but the whole point of Audioasis in-studios is to let listeners of the show know what’s going on in their music scene. It’s our duty! I love you, Ben!

I have the same pet peeve about “knowing someone at the station” as the reason why the band got an in-studio. It’s very insulting. KEXP goes out of its way to provide music to its listeners. No specific genre, no specific style. This is the beauty of KEXP and one of the reasons why it’s so great. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but be able to back it up with a fact, not an assumption.