Midnight Album Feature: Massive Attack – Mezzanine

massiveattic.jpg

Greetings. I’m DJ Michele Myers. Every Friday night at 9pm I host a show on KEXP called Nite Life. I hit the air with danceable sets for 3 hours, then at 12 o’clock I do a Midnight Album Spotlight. This Friday’s Spotlight will be on English trip-hop band Massive Attack and their third album Mezzanine.

This 1998 record has some of the best album art ever. The close-up of the insect is creepy yet beautiful. Best in its vinyl form, this artwork makes me really miss the cardboard smoothness of LPs, the tactile pleasure you get from them. The largeness of the art, and how it’s integrative because you have to open it, then pull it out of it’s shell. I wish they would make CDs with this feel. Maybe when the music on the internet scene has gelled, you’ll be able to print out an interactive art “kit” for each record. Just a suggestion.

To me “Mezzanine” is the missing link between psychedelic rock and electronic music. The rock element is trippy, ominous and has great lyrics about existence. A gritty kind of poetry. The electronic element is the best kind… warm, cinematic, with surprise hits that feel as organic as any unplugged instrument. And like all the best albums, this one works as a story from start to end. Here is a video of Massive Attack performing “Teardrop”:

Join Michele Myers for Nite Life every Friday night at 9pm on KEXP.

This entry was posted in Friday Nite Spotlight, KEXP, Nite Life. Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Kris
    Posted March 14, 2008 at 9:27 am | Permalink

Week after week, you know how to pick them.

2. Anthony Lombardi
    Posted March 14, 2008 at 10:19 am | Permalink

I love these midnight albums and there couldn’t be a better record selecteed to play in the middle of the night.

3. roger
    Posted March 14, 2008 at 12:24 pm | Permalink

excellent album. also a big fan of Blue Lines & Protection. the mad professor vs M.A. remix album is also a trip – nice background mood music. Massive Attack = way chill ; Michele Myers = way cool

4. DJ Michele
    Posted March 17, 2008 at 9:46 am | Permalink

Thanks guys! Words like yours make the extra work all worthwhile.

I’ll have to check out the Mad Prof remix album, that sounds like a winner…

5. Posted May 28, 2008 at 12:07 pm | Permalink

Ill album, massive attack is sick. The cover art is pretty cool too.

6. Posted August 26, 2008 at 9:46 am | Permalink

Loved the album art, and the songs were great too. Easy listen on the way to work, great way to start my day in the morning