Weird At My School: The needle and the damage done

If you have ever peeked at my DJ profile on the Programming pages, you may have noticed the following sentence: “In his spare time, he is reproducing a series of classic LP covers, full-scale, in 18 gauge needlepoint; his current subject is Eno’s Another Green World.”

Well, last night, around 8:30 PM Pacific Time, I completed it:

enoneedlepoint.jpg

If you look very closely, you might notice a discrepancy in the type size between the first five letters and the rest of the title. At first, this amused me. I had caught the slip-up late in the process, and had already made one previous attempt at stitching the title, and decided to call it good. Then I had second thoughts, and contemplated ripping out that “ANOTH” and re-doing it. But this morning, my Irish friend Gregory, who is a pretty savvy chap, had this to say:

“Eno would like type size… it gives appropriate accent… it’s better than mere verbatim… in Eno’s oblique strategy cards, there’s one card that says ‘honour thy mistake as a hidden intention’… and it’s this that means the flawed type size gives the piece added substance…”

So here is Question #1 for KEXP blog readers: Do you think Gregory is correct, or should I strive for so-called perfection and take a third stab at the title?

Now, Question #2: What do you suggest I do for my next canvas? Previously, I have reproduced the Sex Pistols’ Never Mind The Bollocks, OMD’s Dazzle Ships, and Drums And Wires by XTC.

sexpistols_sm.jpg omd_sm.jpg xtc_sm.jpg

My criteria are simple: The subject has to be a record I like and/or admire. It has to have been released on vinyl. Ideally, it has enough vivid colors to keep me stimulated, but not so much excruciating detail that I have to change floss every three or four stitches. Currently, I’m leaning towards Talking Heads’ Remain In Light. (There is also a perverse part of me considering reproducing a cover that is already a needlepoint, like The Point by Nilsson or the “lost” third Silver Apples of the Moon LP, Garden.) But, as I say on-air all the time, I’m highly suggestible… so comment away!

DJ El Toro is the host of the overnight show In Between Sleep & Reason, Wednesday mornings from 1 AM to 6 AM on KEXP 90.3 FM Seattle and kexp.org.

This entry was posted in KEXP, Weird At My School. Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Miles (Denver)
    Posted March 24, 2008 at 2:40 pm | Permalink

Sex Pistols for certain

2. Eli
    Posted March 24, 2008 at 6:09 pm | Permalink

These are amazing! I say you get as close to perfection as you can. But part of the brilliance is seeing how the medium warps the covers.

Might I suggest “Power, Corruption & Lies” for your next canvas…?

3. Posted March 24, 2008 at 7:25 pm | Permalink

Sex Pistols!

4. Tony
    Posted March 24, 2008 at 9:04 pm | Permalink

Give your fingers a break and do The Beatles white album. :)

5. mike
    Posted March 24, 2008 at 9:42 pm | Permalink

A smiths album or a gbv album would be my suggestion….

6. Posted March 24, 2008 at 11:57 pm | Permalink

Kraftwerk’s “Computer World”?
    2008 is the Year of Yellow …

7. Posted March 27, 2008 at 1:34 pm | Permalink

pink floyd the wall

8. Posted March 28, 2008 at 11:11 am | Permalink

These are amazing! Future works? I double the Power Corruption and Lies suggestion, and add Unknown Pleasures.

9. c.wood
    Posted April 1, 2008 at 1:51 pm | Permalink

rio by duran duran
    the other covers you have done immediately brought that one to mind.
    not for musical reasons, but aesthetic ones.

10. Posted June 6, 2008 at 2:19 pm | Permalink

Hello,

Immediately I thought of the Motels, All 4 One.

Keep up the good work!