- Pleasant memories flooded my mind when I heard that Damien Jurado and Jeremy Enigk were going on a two-week tour together this year. The news brought me back to a show I went to when I was about seventeen. 764-Hero was still a two-piece band (and is still a hotline to report people who are cheating in the carpool lane) and they were opening for Jurado and Enigk at the King Cat. This was 1997 or so and Enigk had recently put out his first solo record, Return Of The Frog Queen, after Sunny Day Real Estate had broken up. Jurado had also just put out his debut, Waters Ave. S. It was a good time to be an impressionable 17 teen year old. Thank you, Brooklynvegan, for the memory rush, get all the tour date there.
- On the touring topic, Europe will finally have a few more chances to see Grinderman. Anti- Records announced the dates here.
- The tracklist for that new Wire record is out via Pitchfork this week. The record will be called, Object 47, and will have these nine songs on it:
One of Us
Four Long Years
Are You Ready?
- What’s got Noel Gallagher‘s knickers in a twist? Jay-Z at Glastonbury, that’s what. According to NME, the Oasis guitarist told the BBC that despite the “odd curve ball” (i.e. Kylie Minogue), the festival has “a tradition of guitar music” and that hip-hop at Glastonbury is just “wrong.” You can also expect to not see Oasis at the “Americanised” O2 Arena in London, where the band has been rumored to hold a residency later this year. Says Gallagher, without pulling any punches, “it was the most soul-destroying venue I’ve ever been to.”
- Brazilian party band, CSS is less a bassist. According to a statement on CSS’s Myspace blog, Ira Trevisan has left the band amicably:
“I decided to move forward and dedicate more of my time to fashion and other projects. Just a big change of priorities, as I will never stop playing music. I am also a bit worried about climate change. People should care more and do something about it. I decided to fly less. CSS will always be in my heart. They said goodbye to their bass player, but they won a new life time fan. In health and sickness, in happiness and so forth. Blah blah blah, so help us God.”
Drummer, Adriano Cintra will be moving to bass and a session drummer will fill in for the meantime. A new record from CSS will be ready by July.
- KEXP favs Portishead have a live video up now called “Portishead in Portishead.” It contains 7 songs from the new album, Third and is available from Current TV. (Thank you, Pitchfork, for the lead). Also, Third will be streaming live starting April 21st, the week before its official release, on Last.fm.
- This weeks talk show performances are as follows:
- Monday – Daniel Lanois on the Late Late Show
- Tuesday – Rogue Wave on Letterman, The Roots on the Colbert Report
- Wednesday – The Gossip on Letterman
- Thursday – The Black Keys on Letterman
- Friday – Flogging Molly on Leno, Morrissey on the Late Late Show, Lyrics Born on Jimmy Kimmel