- Hits Are For Squares, the new Sonic Youth best-of compilation, will be out June 9th. You’ll have to stop by Starbucks to get it though, because that’s where the band is making it exclusively available. NME has the full tracklist, along with a list of who picked each song. Want to find out what Beck’s favorite Sonic Youth song is? How about Allison Anders, Portia de Rossi, Diablo Cody or David Cross? Now you can!
- M83 will be in Seattle to play at Neumo’s this weekend; to whet your appetites for the show, here’s a Maps remix of “We Own The Sky” available for free download. Thanks to Tripwire for the tip.
- After a bit of imbibing, David Byrne took a spill while biking home in New York City. Gothamist reports the story, which is also revealed on the Talking Head’s own blog. Fortunately, with “no help from the NYPD” Byrne was able to dust himself off, lift his bike, get his cracked ribs checked out, and presumably lay off the big suits.
- Co-founded by The Edge, Music Rising, a campaign to replace musician’s instruments lost or destroyed in the Gulf Region hurricanes, is presenting the “Icons of Music” sale on Saturday, May 31, taking place at The Hard Rock Cafe Times Square. Get your eBid paddles ready! This comes from the organization’s press release:
This auction features an array of rare items featuring property from U2’s The Edge and other band members from this historic group. Property includes Slash concert used Gibson guitar for his first public appearance with “Velvet Revolver” at The Roxy, Jim Morrison handwritten poem, Bob Dylan concert used guitar, Ronnie Wood Handwritten Lyrics, Kurt Cobain Early Guitar with Photographs, Nirvana “Smells Like Teen Spirit” MTV Music Award, Cliff Burton Concert Used bass Guitar from “Metallica”, Set of four early collarless suits from The Beatles, Frank Zappa original hand drawn painting, Bob Dylan handwritten lyrics, Green Day custom made prototype Gibson used by Billie Joe, Miles Davis owned and used trumpet, Nine Inch Nails Trent Reznor custom played Gibson, Patti Smith original hand drawn self portrait, Paul McCartney early signed vintage Hofner Bass, Slash’s trademark Tophat signed with photo of him wearing the hat in concert, early Pete Townshend The Who concert played guitar, and many more legendary artifacts…
- Rivers Cuomo of Weezer is writing a song on YouTube, and he wants to collaborate with you.
- “Romance is the douche of the bourgeoisie.” Can David Berman of Silver Jews write moving verse or what? Thanks to Stereogum for that plaque-worthy quote, and for “Strange Victory, Strange Defeat”, an MP3 from the band’s upcoming CD Lookout Mountain, Lookout Sea. Here it is:
- “The Chinese Democracy of Indie Rock”? Does this mean Mr. Gibbard wil be getting corn-rows?
- If you enjoyed Okkervil River‘s The Stage Names, here’s some good news for you. According to bandleader Will Sheff, part two – The Stand Ins – now has a release date of September 9th!
- Sasquatch Time! Off to load the cooler. Play safe this weekend, everyone.