3rd Annual Father’s Day Kids Dance Party

The 3rd Annual Father’s Day Kids Dance Party was huge success. There were many activities to be done, tasty cupcakes to be eaten, and much, much dancing to be had. A huge thanks goes out to Cupcake Royale and Pop Tots for the support, Neumo’s for the dancefloor, Massive Monkeys for the breakdance demonstrations, and to DJs Riz, Kid Hops, and Derek Mazzone for holding it down.

Photographers Chad Syme and Brett Muzzey were on hand to show you the fun times had by all:

View more photos from Chad and Brett here and here.

This entry was posted in KEXP, KEXP Presents. Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted June 16, 2008 at 4:21 pm | Permalink

Great fun… ended up being a little chaotic and claustrophobic for my 3-year, who got shoved out of the way a couple times by an 11-12 year old during the dance lesson — his disappointment is on full display in one of Chad’s photos.

2. Lida
    Posted June 16, 2008 at 9:10 pm | Permalink

My almost 5yr old daughter loved it! Once she adjusted and observed awhile, a little switch went off in her and BOOM! she was busing a move. What a great event. We loved the breakdancers and the crowd was very funky and family friendly. Just what we like. As a mother who never seems to get out of the house anymore, it was refreshing to go to a club, dance, listen to fun music and leave all of the junk behind that I don’t miss from my clubbing days, like cig smoke, drunk people and the pick-up crowd. We will definitely attend in the future and can’t wait for the next! (The only thing we wished was different, was the price. Although we did get alot for the price we paid, such as face painting, free nutritious snacks, a drink for Papa, the price may be an inhibitor for us in the future). FIVE STARS!

3. Paul
    Posted June 17, 2008 at 9:30 am | Permalink

This was a lot of fun. My 3 year-old was a little overwhelmed too, but we’re definitely coming back. Maybe outside like the KEXP BBQ, karoke with a live band or roller skating would be fun.

I think Lida raises an interesting issue. This was a fundraiser for a non-profit radio station. It is unbelievably tacky to complain about the price of the event and/or the price that the sponsors charge. You are not funky if you are complaining about either, and when you are doing it in your $200 clogs you are also bordering on being a bad parent. Try to show some class and think about your kids, rather than how much you paid for your Prius so your neighbors would know how concerned you are about the environment. You act like you support KEXP and artists, but there you are complaining about the prices. The station is a pulic service. The promotion was a really fun event for our kids that a bunch of people volunteered for and paid a substantial amount to sponsor. SHOW SOME CLASS!!!!!!

4. Bob Tillman
    Posted June 17, 2008 at 5:08 pm | Permalink

Our first KEXP Dance Party. Overall I was pleasantly surprised at the thoughtful touches (the snacks at the top of the stairs, the cupcakes, the face painting). We’ll come back next year. A couple of things could improve though. They didn’t let people in the door until 12:20 (leaving a long line of parents and kids standing in the heat. Come on guys, get organized!) and while the hiphop lessons were fun, it went on too long and didn’t need to happen twice. My four-year-old just wanted to dance with her dad and patiently sat slumped against the wall during the second 20 minute display. Simply more music next year please. One more thing – if this was a bi-weekly event, it would be a full house every time! Nice job KEXP!

5. Julia
    Posted June 18, 2008 at 10:30 am | Permalink

Ahhh … my daughter’s butt is famous in that last photo!
    We had such a good time and I love the breakdancers! I hope this continues to be an annual event because not only is it fun but there is always a great group of families there. Everyone is friendly and we always have a great time meeting other parents. My daughter can’t wait to take private breakdancing lessons after she turns six.

What surprised me was seeing a few grandparents. Next year my parents want to come too – my dad has agreed if it gets too much he’ll just turn off his hearing aid!

Oh yes, and my husband’s favorite part was the dad who went out and breakdanced. We’re hoping his back is ok! :)

6. Sarah
    Posted June 19, 2008 at 10:00 am | Permalink

This was our second dance party and we’re already looking forward to next year. I agree that the range of ages and jam-packed-ness on the break dance lesson was less than ideal. Even my 9 year old was dismayed when he got kicked in the head by a nearby would-be B-Boy. Still, it was a fantastic way to celebrate father’s day. My husband, photo above, blue shirt, big smile couldn’t have been happier. Go KEXP!