photo by Fabrizio Sciami
- Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds will be reissuing remastered versions of the band’s entire discography. Affected by the music? Give a testimonial for possible use in the short films to accompany the albums.
- Conor Oberst of Bright Eyes fame is now streaming his new album with The Mystic Valley Band. The album is slated for release on August 5 by Merge.
- The finalists for Britain’s Mercury Prize have been announced. Those making the cut include Radiohead, Robert Plant, Elbow, Burial, Laura Marling, Estelle, The Last Shadow Puppets, Adele, Neon Neon, Rachel Unthank and the Winterset, Portico Quartet, and British Sea Power.
- Damon Albarn and Jamie Hewlett of the Gorillaz will release the soundtrack to Monkey: Journey to the West, the opera that premiered at the Manchester International Festival in 2007 and opened yesterday at London’s Royal Opera House. The lyrics are based on ancient Chinese texts, the performance is in Mandarin, and the BBC has been using the graphics as part of its Beijing Olympics coverage.
Monkey: Journey to the West trailer
- Tour dates! Goldfrapp will be at the Showbox on September 17, Cut Copy and The Presets will be performing together there on October 8, and The Mountain Goats will make an appearance on October 20. Black Kids will be at Neumo’s on October 10.
- TV on the Radio (who will also be at the Showbox, on September 9) is releasing a new album, Dear Science, due for release on September 23.
- ATO Records, which has released a 15th anniversary edition of Liz Phair‘s 1993 debut album Exile in Guyville, will also be releasing her new studio album this fall.
- Animal Collective‘s Pitchfork performance of its new song, “Lion in the Coma,” is available for your viewing pleasure on GvB.
Animal Collective – Lion in the Coma
- Chicago quintet Bound Stems will be releasing a second album, The Family Afloat, on September 9.