- Flooding news headlines this past weekend are all things Lollapalooza. For more coverage than you could possibly follow, head over to Pitchfork. While Radiohead‘s Day One set was one of the most anticipated performances of the festival, rumors of a Barack Obama circulated each day. Would he introduce Wilco? Kanye West? Rage? Alas, the Illinois Senator was not to be seen. However, during their set, Wilco debuted a new and unfinished song they called “One Wing”. You can hear the song over at You Ain’t No Picasso.
- Colin Greenwood steps out of Radiohead for his first solo outing… sort of. Along with Lee and Tyler Sargent of Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, the elder Greenwood brother contributes to the score, composed by James Lavino, for Alex Karpovsky’s documentary Woodpecker, which is, as you’d expect, about a woodpecker… sort of.
- Keane is offering the first single of their upcoming album, Perfect Symmetry, due mid-October, as a free download.
- Six men in a little rowboat, including Pete Doherty, had to be bailed out when they sank into a Scottish lake on Saturday. According to NME, the boat sprung a leak as the group paddled out to the VIP area at the Loch Lomond Festival, inspiring the Babyshambles frontman to sing sea shanties as they awaited rescue.
- Didn’t they just get started? Stereogum reports that Be Your Own Pet has called it quits for reasons yet unknown. According to their MySpace page, the band will perform their last four shows in the UK and “go [their] separate ways”. Among the canceled shows in the US is the upcoming KEXP-sponsored JellyNYC Pool Party at McCarren Park Pool. Bummer.
- New Spiritualized video!