- The 22nd Annual Bridge School Benefit Concert has announced this year’s two-day line-up. Organizer/Headliner Neil Young will be joined this year by Wilco, Death Cab for Cutie, and Cat Power on the indie tip, with big names Norah Jones, Jack Johnson, Smashing Pumpkins, and Sarah McLachlan making appearances during the October 25th and 26th event.
- Down Under staple Big Day Out will rely on the services of Neil Young as well as it embarks on its January and February dates in Australia and New Zealand. Festival organizers are confirming appearances from TV on the Radio, Arctic Monkeys, My Morning Jacket, Cut Copy and The Ting Tings during Big Day Out’s 6-date run.
- Back in our neighborhood, Seattle’s own Minus the Bear are set to release Acoustics. The 7-track EP will be available digitally October 7th (that’s tomorrow for the calendar challenged) through the usual outlets, with physical copies being available during the band’s upcoming tour beginning Wednesday in Spokane. Acoustics will center around 6 fan favorites and 1 new track stripped to the bone — because bears never leave excess meat on the bone.
- Speaking of new material, former Squirrel Nut Zipper honorary handyman Andrew Bird is set to release Nobel Beast early next year. Pitchfork is streaming lead sing “Oh No” at this very moment… and now… still happening. You can check it out as you head over to Bird’s webstore to pick up the live album Live in Montreal.
- In a need to expose you to new music from all over this vast planet, David Byrne’s Luaka Bop label, which has brought us great South American release along with wondrous re-issues of lost classics (most notably Shuggie Otis’ Inspiration Information) is set to introduce “Three Inches of Music,” a series dedicated to unveiling upcoming Luaka Bop releases from worldly artists. To better inform fans and the curious, Luaka Bop has released a promotional video to explain the series. Terror Pigeon Dance Revolt, Yonlu, and Márcio Local will be featured in the series.
Yonlu – I Know What It’s Like (MP3)
Márcio Local – Samba Sem Nenhum Problema (MP3)