- A message from Neko Case:
The chanteuse and her label, ANTI- Records, are running a promotion to benefit Best Friends Animal Society. For every blog that reposts her new song, “People Got A Lotta Nerve” (download here) from the upcoming album Middle Cyclone, they will donate $5, and $1for every iLike user who adds the song to their profile.
- More news from the ANTI- stable: Mick Harvey, the most consistent character involved in the long history of Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, besides St. Nick himself, just announced that he is leaving the band to pursue other interests. Harvey, who goes all the way back with Nick to the Birthday Party days, has already released several projects on his own, including a pair of Serge Gainsbourg reworkings, but he claims that “a variety of personal and professional reasons” are impetus for his departure.
- Adding to your Animal Collective experience this week on the KEXP Blog (after Song of the Day and the Dramamine-friendly cover artwork), here’s the new video for “My Girls”:
- The 2009 Oscar nominations were announced today, and up for Best Original Song are Peter Gabriel (WALL-E), A. R. Rahman (Slumdog Millionaire), and M.I.A. (credited with A. R. Rahman, also from Slumdog Millionaire). Both movies are also up for Best Original Score. Bruce Springsteen, who won a Golden Globe for his song from The Wrestler, was not nominated.
- Shock and awe? No longer. Here’s “Stork and Owl”:
TV on the Radio video courtesy of Spinner
- Heading down to SXSW this year? A partial but still extensive list is available here.
- On their MySpace page, Yeah Yeah Yeahs confirm a new album released this Spring and to be named Blitz!: