- Billboard reported the Monday passing of Orlando
CachaitoLopez, the famous bass player for Cuban collective Buena Vista Social Club. Lopez died of complications due to prostate surgery. He was 76 years old. BVSC formed in the ’90s after an ambitious undertaking on the part of American guitarist/producer Ry Cooder to bring its members together. The group’s work led to high critical acclaim, greater success for its members and a greater awareness of not only Cuban music but all “world” music.
- Ticketmaster and Live Nation have reached a $2.5 billion merger deal pending any antitrust issues. The potential Live Nation Entertainment has more than a few early, vocal critics. Early defense of the merger sprang up on Tuesday as it took fire not only from members of congress but from ‘The Boss’ himself.
- The folks behind the Sasquatch! Music Festival have confirmed the dates for 2009: three days, form May 23 through 25. The festival will again feature a comedy tent, but it will be expanded this year and serve a dual purpose at night as a dance tent. The lineup will be announced on Feb. 17, but Travis Hay of Ear Candy and others posting to the Sasquatch blog rumor acts to include Kings of Leon, The Decemberists, Peter Bjorn and John, Monotonix, Animal Collective, Neko Case, Passion Pit, The Avett Brothers, Sun Kil Moon, John Vanderslice (we might know a little something about that!) and Grizzly Bear.
- Whether she’s performing at the Grammys on the verge of pregnancy, helping soundtrack one of the year’s best movies or staying at home, M.I.A. always finds herself in the news. A recent NY Times article explores the question of political dissonance in her music.
- The NY Times is also reporting that Sirius XM is looking at a possible bankruptcy and a takeover by TV satellite company EchoStar. EchoStar currently owns most of Sirius XMs debt and looks to gain quite a bit from what would amount to the second largest company collapse of the year.
- According to Kanye West (all sentences should start this way), Justice and designer/video director So_Me got together to create what you see above, the latest bottle design for Club Coke. The bottle debuted at the VIP Room in Paris last night.
- Brooklyn Vegan posted a bunch of great shows heading towards the Seattle area including Glasvegas, Jason Isbell, Black Mountain, Ladytron w/ The Faint and more.
- Simian Mobile Disco just posted a new video and song, “Synthesize,” filmed live by Kate Moross & Alex Sushon. The hypnotic video is definitely for the seizure-prone, but if you stare at it long enough, you just might convince yourself that Ryan Adams isn’t really planning to marry Mandy Moore: