- Pixies are back together for another reunion. This time, however, it looks to be just a one-show shot: June 14th at the annual UK extravaganza Isle of Wight Festival.
- Speaking of Frank Black and Kim Deal: You may recall Frank manned the boards for the new Art Brut album, Art Brut vs. Satan, due in the states May 12th, but you may not know that he also has an album with wife Violet Clark under the moniker Grand Duchy. The first couple of mutilation’s debut is due April 14th. As for Deal, it is believed that The Breeders are recording a new EP. Whether its release will coincide with the band’s ATP: UK performance (The Breeders are also curators) is anyone’s guess.
- Speaking of ATP, The Flaming Lip-curated ATP: NY has added some new talent. The September 11-13th event will now welcome a reunited Jesus Lizard, The Feelies, and The Drones.
- More Jeff Buckley material is surfacing in the repackaged version of the phenom’s only studio album, Grace. The new CD/DVD combo, Grace Around the World, will feature new footage of Buckley performing songs from the original 1994 album — you guessed it — from all over the world. A documentary is also included in the 15th anniversary set. We think, however, it’s time to have an intervention with Buckley’s mother, Mary Guibert although it’s hard to say anything when new Buckley footage keeps surfacing.
- Jack White‘s new project is a bit of a supergroup: The Dead Weather consists of The Kills’ Alison Mosshart (VV) on vocals, The Raconteurs’ (Little) Jack Lawrence on bass, Queens of the Stone Age’s Dean Fertita on guitar, and Jack White on drums. Check out their first single, “Hang You From the Heavens”:
- Time-out for fun! Have you ever wanted to turn your computer keyboard into a drum machine? Now you can with Keyboard Drums. Note: if you have the slightest bit of timing, you’ll get frustrated quick. If you like syncopation and can type 100 non-words a minute, you’ll become your household’s Dan Deacon.
- Mac McCaughan’s days before Superchunk are being chronicled in a new digital compilation through McCaughan’s label, Merge — maybe you’ve heard of them? The McCaughan-featuring trio know as Wwax now has Like It or Not to spread their long out-of-print 7-inch LPs and cassettes. The 15-track MP3/FLAC download is already available. This is part of a new initiative from Merge, who have already re-release three Richard Buckner albums digitally and promise more re-issues and compilations to help the label celebrate 20 years of productivity.
- Devo has re-evolved, promising a new album by the fall. The news comes on the heels of the band’s SXSW (which finds the band performing with Tricky one evening and speaking another) and ATP: UK performances (the band will perform Q: Are We Not Men? A: We are Devo! in its entirety).
- Don’t forget to set your DVR’s to catch your favorite bands hitting the talk show circuit this week. Here are the highlights:
Monday, March 16
Jimmy Fallon: Public Enemy
Last Call: Adele (R 2/10/09)
Tuesday, March 17
David Letterman: Bell X1
Jay Leno: The Soundtrack of Our Lives
Jimmy Fallon: The Ting Tings
Wednesday, March 18
David Letterman: Modest Mouse
Jimmy Fallon: Vampire Weekend
Jimmy Kimmel: MSTRKRFT
Thursday, March 19
Daily Show: Bruce Springsteen
Jimmy Kimmel: The Duke Spirit
Friday, March 20
Jay Leno: Chris Cornell
Late Late Show: Conor Oberst (R 8/7/08)
Last Call: The Duke Spirit