Get it now: the official KEXP iPhone app!

iphone_app

Please note: The KEXP iPhone app was experiencing some issues related to a recent iOS update. It should now be back to proper working order, and if you should have any further issues please let us know at web@kexp.org.

You’ve asked for it, you’ve waited for it -- it’s finally here! You can now stream KEXP to the iPhone with the official KEXP iPhone app. The first version of our app allows you to stream either 38k or 128k live stream, keep track of songs you’ve heard with the playlist, favorite the ones you do like or even purchase them on iTunes, and request songs from the on-air DJs!

[Note: the iPhone app has just been updated to accomodate users running iPhone 3.0 software.]

You can head over to iTunes right now and download the app. Use this link or just search for “KEXP” in iTunes.

iphone_app iphone_app
iphone_app iphone_app

This entry was posted in KEXP. Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Richard Coppedge
    Posted September 5, 2010 at 8:19 pm | Permalink

Any update on the Android app? The mp3 stream through A.O.R. isn’t always reliable for me.

2. jason
    Posted October 9, 2010 at 5:34 pm | Permalink

I have a problem with AOR app for LG ally running android 2.1. It will just buffer forever and never play. Any suggestions? An android app would really solve this, any update as to a release date? It has been almost a year since I first heard you were working on one . ..

3. Posted October 9, 2010 at 6:51 pm | Permalink

We hope to have good news for you soon, Jason.

4. Amy
    Posted October 12, 2010 at 9:27 am | Permalink

I’m thinking about purchasing an iTouch and would like to know if the kexp app works using the iTouch. I read the below questions about the iTouch compatability but didn’t see where they were answered. Can you please let me know? Thanks!

5. brett
    Posted November 8, 2010 at 3:49 pm | Permalink

tuneIn radio for android has KEXP on it! http://www.appbrain.com/app/tunein-radio/tunein.player

6. 2b3s
    Posted November 22, 2010 at 7:14 am | Permalink

My guess is that KEXP made a deal with the Apple app market overlords to embargo the DROID app for a year so the iPhone could enjoy market exclusivity. Meanwhile, we DROID users suffer.

7. Posted November 22, 2010 at 10:10 am | Permalink

We have no deal with anyone, 2b3s. We are a non-profit organization and have very limited resources. We are indeed working on an Android app as we quickly as we can (in fact, many of us are Android phone users) yet we can only do so with the help of others volunteering their time. In the meantime, you can use a terrific Android app called TuneIn Radio to stream KEXP right now!

8. x24
    Posted November 23, 2010 at 1:51 pm | Permalink

First time poster, long time reader...I would love to see a dedicated KEXP Android App, but I agree with the previous posters on “TuneIn Radio”. Top shelf app for streaming 90.3

9. Jason Griffith
    Posted December 2, 2010 at 8:48 am | Permalink

Thanks for the heads up on TuneIn!! AOR pretty much stinks for streaming Kexp (very unreliable), so I hope to try this new avenue . . until the dedicated app comes out. Thanks for keeping us up to date Jim, I really appreciate it.

10. Posted December 2, 2010 at 9:59 am | Permalink

No problem. The KEXP app is going a bit slower than we anticipated, but we are making progress! We’ll announce it when we do have it ready. But for now, TuneIn works great for me.

11. 2b3s
    Posted December 2, 2010 at 10:28 am | Permalink

I’ve been using the RadioTime/TuneIn app since March 2010 to listen to KEXP at work here in DC. It’s sufficient, i.e., I can hear the station, but has a lot of annoying habits, like too frequent buffering and automaticallly switching from the 128k stream to the 32k stream. I’ve heard from iPhone users that the KEXP dedicated app works flawlessly. Hopefully the dedicated KEXP app, once it’s finally delivered (after a year of patient waiting), does not disappoint.

12. Mike Ward
    Posted December 6, 2010 at 2:52 pm | Permalink

TuneIn Radio does seem to be the best Android app at the moment. It streams the two MP3 streams OK, but the Windows Media one plays the ‘support for KEXP’ announcement, then says “stream ended”. Would it be possible to make that stream compatible with TuneIn? TuneIn is able to play other stations’ WMA streams. The 32kbps WMA stream of KEXP sounds good, and is frugal with the bits, which will help keep it from dropping out. The 32k MP3 sounds bad because it is mono. To me, bad quality stereo sounds better than better quality mono when you’re listening in stereo headphones.

Also, what does the iPhone app use for its streams? Do you have any AAC streams? TuneIn can play those too.

13. Mike Ward
    Posted December 7, 2010 at 6:13 pm | Permalink

Yay! TuneIn Radio just posted an update to the Android Market.
    Now the 32K WMA stream plays! However, the program stream is definitely
    multi-rate once the real stream starts, I ‘ve seen it indicate 32k, 80k, and 128k.

14. Mike Ward
    Posted December 8, 2010 at 2:48 pm | Permalink

I spoke too soon. The latest TuneIn Radio player can play the WMA stream,
    and that’s an improvement. It still can’t play it reliably. The trouble is,
    it still apparently negotiates the multi-rate stream, and tends to come up
    with 96k or 48k streams, which can’t play reliably over time on Sprint 3G,
    at least not around 2-3 PM PST. Yes, 32k WMA does sound better than 32k MP3.
    For the ultimate in KEXP listening, we still need a way to force only the 32k stream.

15. Demetrius Jones
    Posted December 10, 2010 at 1:15 pm | Permalink

I just got a Droid. It does seems like, so far, Tune In, is the best app to get KEXP. Still waiting for the KEXP Android app though.

16. Randall Sewell
    Posted December 22, 2010 at 9:37 am | Permalink

It’s been over a year now since the iPhone app came out, and we still have no Android app. Are there just not that many developers out there for Android?

17. Anthony
    Posted December 29, 2010 at 12:28 pm | Permalink

+1 for Android!!

18. hipster replacement
    Posted January 25, 2011 at 6:34 pm | Permalink

solution for android (better than an app): http://bit.ly/dNvTbw

19. Paul T.
    Posted January 26, 2011 at 1:56 pm | Permalink

“We are a non-profit organization and have very limited resources. We are indeed working on an Android app (...) yet we can only do so with the help of others volunteering their time.”

Ok, so I would suggest KEXP to post the source code they are working on to github or gitorius or whatever so that the community of Android users/developers can help. I personally would like to contribute, I even started writing a very basic app to stream KEXP MP3 streams, but it would be cool to do so within an open-source project.

See for example what Last.fm is doing with their Android App

20. Adam
    Posted January 30, 2011 at 1:30 pm | Permalink

Agreed Paul. If we were all working on it, that puppy would be on the market.

Has anyone had any luck with the Steaming Archive?

Wish there were some links available for my favorite shows. How ‘bout it KEXP?

21. Melissa
    Posted March 29, 2011 at 7:39 pm | Permalink

Need. Droid. App. Soon.

22. Gopal
    Posted April 14, 2011 at 2:31 pm | Permalink

I’m interested in listening to the streaming archive of KEXP on an Android device. Specifically, I want to listen to recent episodes of the roadhouse on an on-demand basis.

Is this possible using tunein radio?

23. Posted April 14, 2011 at 2:48 pm | Permalink

Only our live stream is available on mobile devices.

24. elysia
    Posted May 28, 2011 at 10:47 am | Permalink

I just moved from Seattle to Bend, Or and KEXP is one of the things I miss most. Although I can stream on my laptop at home, I NEED YOU in the car...any update on the android app? The “tuned in” app always says KEXP in unavailable....I may have to break down and buy an itouch...

25. Steve Pirk
    Posted May 29, 2011 at 8:32 pm | Permalink

Agreed, the TuneIn app rocks, and I used AOR before that. There is a large Android dev community in Seattle, and as Paul T. mentioned, Github would be a great place to get some collaboration.

If we work together, we can knock this out quick.

26. Steve Pirk
    Posted May 30, 2011 at 11:26 am | Permalink

A question for Jim Beckman. Has the station ever considered taking the mp3 stream and archiving it, or are there legal issues with that?

Reason I ask, is that I have studying using cloud storage as a way to archive streams, and I believe it is very feasible, both economically and technically. The files could be segregated into individual DJ or Show slots, basically following the current program schedule.

128kbps = 12.8 kbytes/second * 3600 seconds [1 hour] * 24 hours = 1.11 GB per day. I pay $50 a year for 200 GB of Google storage [Gmail rates, not Google Apps rates], and you can get 1TB for $256 a year.

Have a redundant cloud archive of KEXP’s live stream for about $250 a year? At those rates, you could archive a 320kbps stream ;-]

27. Posted May 30, 2011 at 10:37 pm | Permalink

Thanks for the suggestion!

28. amy
    Posted June 8, 2011 at 6:25 am | Permalink

I used to use TuneIn for streaming KEXP on my phone but unfortunately with the design changes I can’t even see the name of the song playing and the Now Playing button rarely updates. Took to using XiiaLive now. Works pretty darn well as an alternative. Don’t get me wrong though.... I’m still looking forward to an Android app for KEXP. :)

29. Treaty
    Posted June 11, 2011 at 12:44 pm | Permalink

Still no Android app :(
    KEXP must get funding from Micro$oft or something...

30. 2b3s
    Posted July 20, 2011 at 5:26 am | Permalink

There will never be a KEXP droid app. Sorry.

31. Sambone
    Posted July 25, 2011 at 4:18 pm | Permalink

First of all- thanks for the app!! I just moved out of Seattle, and the KEXP mobile app is always on in my car! I’ve had it on my phone for a while, but never used it much until I moved to LA. I think I tried out the local radio 2-3 times and have given up for the time being.

Anyway- are any updates to the iPhone app in the works? If so, a suggestion in a word: Multitasking. I think you guys may have developed this app around the time iOS was just letting loose on the multitasking, and maybe didn’t plan for it. I hate having to lose my stream every time I have to check a map or anything else.

That’s it. Keep fighting the good fight!

32. kexp_fan
    Posted August 10, 2011 at 4:37 pm | Permalink

kexp mobile streaming page (google it) supports multitasking on iphone, ipod and ipad. Load the page, start the stream, and minimize the browser - KEXP will continue playing in the background

33. Sambone
    Posted August 11, 2011 at 1:21 pm | Permalink

Sweeet! Thanks, kexp_fan.

34. JimG
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 8:35 am | Permalink

If getting an android app is just a matter of resources, I’ll donate my time at nights. I’m a network software developer and KEXP fan. Any source code reference is appreciated.

35. 2b3s
    Posted September 29, 2011 at 8:27 am | Permalink

I stand corrected.

36. Randall S.
    Posted November 30, 2011 at 10:39 am | Permalink

Came to complain about no app yet, was pleasantly surprised to find I would have been wrong to do so.

There is a KEXP Android app available in the Market now. Go get it!

37. Mike
    Posted April 5, 2012 at 1:45 pm | Permalink

It would still be nice to have a low-bitrate high quality stream we can access on TuneIn Radio. 32k MP3 is mono and sounds bad. 128k MP3 sounds great, but is hard to sustain on Sprint.

38. Kirsten
    Posted September 22, 2012 at 11:34 am | Permalink

Can you tell me who developed this app? I’m looking for something similar for a community radio station in FL. thanks for your help.