- The trend continues: Since the rise of the internet, the music world has rushed to recapture the glory of decades past. Now that we are moving into a new decade (which technically doesn’t begin until 2011, for the record), it seems the 90s are getting their chance at redemption. First the world swooned at the announcement of a reunited Pavement, but as the clock struck Midnight on the first day of the New Year, Chris Cornell proclaimed the resurrection of Soundgarden via Twitter. And the rumor is now proved fact according to the new Soundgarden reunion website. No dates have been confirmed though it is believed the band is entertaining many festival offers.
- Speaking of collabs straight from the alterna-decade, David Byrne and Fatboy Slim will be releasing Here Lies Love on February 23rd. The album revolves around the lives of Imelda Marcos and her childhood servant, Estrella Cumpas. One can only imagine the playful melodies and Spike Jonze dance that will accompany the 22-song album.
- And speaking of the alterna-decade, Peter Gabriel intends to release an album of orchestral versions of songs written by his contemporaries and by newer indie artists. Covers include “Heroes” by David Bowie, “My Body Is a Cage” by Arcade Fire, “Street Spirit” by Radiohead, “The Boy in the Bubble” by Paul Simon, “The Book of Love” by The Magnetic Fields, and many others. Scratch My Back, on Virgin Records, hits stores on February 15.
- Titus Andronicus will be releasing their second album, The Monitor, on March 9th via XL. The album reportedly delves into concept as it wrestles with the Civil War and the various conflicts that still hang unresolved within the United States.
- Kevin Barker, guitarist for Vetiver, will be releasing his solo debut, You and Me, this month via Gnomesong. The album will feature contributions from Joanna Newsome, Pat Sansone, and Eric Johnson among others.
- A lot of great shows will be rolling through town in early 2010. Wilco and Califone hit The Paramount February 10th, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club crash into The Showbox March 5th, and Efterklang follow at The Triple Door March 11th.
- The new year starts of strong as the buzz bands return to the talk shows this week. KEXP favorites Japandroids and Vampire Weekend kick off the week.
Monday, January 4
Jimmy Fallon: Japandroids
Tuesday, January 5
David Letterman: Vampire Weekend
Carson Daly: Black Lips (R)
Wednesday, January 6
Jimmy Fallon: Clipse
Carson Daly: Bat For Lashes (R)
Thursday, January 7
get some beauty rest!
Friday, January 8
Carson Daly: Metric (R)