Live Video: Joseph Arthur at the Triple Door

photo by Alex Crick

photo by Alex Crick (more)

Joseph Arthur has long been a favorite of KEXP listeners and DJs and most definitely ranks among the most visited in-studio guests at the station. Over the years, he’s performed solo acoustic, with a full band, and armed with guitar effects and loop pedals, but no matter what incarnation he appears in, Joseph can be relied on for achingly emotional delivery and powerful songwriting. During his seventh performance (at least) live on KEXP, Joseph Arthur filled the Triple Door’s stage with a bank of electronics, his guitars, and a white canvas propped on an easel surrounded by paint bottles and spray cans while playing a long set exclusively for members of KEXP’s VIP Club.

The eight songs spanned Joseph’s career, from his debut, Big City Secrets, to new ones he’s still working on for an upcoming album. But what made this performance truly special was the improvisational painting he did during “Crying Like a Man.” After laying down a beat and rhythm, Joseph started layering swaths of blue, red and black paint atop a rough sketch he made at the beginning of the set -- all while continuing to sing! After the show, the painting was sold, as he’s doing after every show during this current tour, with proceeds going directly to support Haiti relief.

This entry was posted in KEXP, Live Video and tagged . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Mariela
    Posted February 10, 2010 at 6:44 pm | Permalink

Every time I just hear you a chill runs over my skin, between melancholy and happiness I’m. you are sensational!
    FROM ARGENTINA:)

2. Thierry
    Posted February 14, 2010 at 2:58 am | Permalink

awesome, awesome, awesome!!!

3. Doralie
    Posted February 14, 2010 at 2:59 am | Permalink

he’s the only one who do that...

4. Donovan
    Posted February 21, 2010 at 6:36 am | Permalink

I saw him in France, one of the best music moments of my life...

5. Duncan
    Posted February 27, 2010 at 6:17 pm | Permalink

I’ve been listening to JA for about 8 or 9 years and he keeps getting crazier. Personally, I think I like the new Joe, but for sure, I really liked the Joe of a few years ago better. It seems to me like something’s really bothering him these days. I have no idea if I am right, but he doesn’t seem as comfortable as he used to appear. Maybe that’s life...just ups and downs, good times and bad. Still, JA’s better than 99% of the artists out there. So, I say, God be with you Joseph Arthur.

6. khalid Zaman
    Posted May 19, 2010 at 7:52 am | Permalink

What an amazing singer saw him in leeds and i travelled to manchester the next day and bought some more tickets to see him. I think this guy is one of the best singers of this generation.