Hello, round, bright thing in the sky! Should we be afraid of you? Spring is upon us, and as we emerge mole-like from our winter hidey-holes, we here at Three Imaginary Girls are squinting at the retina-searing magnificence that is our concert calendar.
This week promises bright bursts of awesome from the bulbs of Seattle’s underground. If you, not unlike Edward and Bella are afraid of bursting into flames (well, more spontaneous sparkling) by stepping into the sun, may we suggest a few local shows in nice, safe, dark venues?
2/26/10 – Happy Birthday Secret Weapon/Big Wheel Stunt Show/The Leafy Greens @ Mars Bar
2/27/10 – Lost Dogma/Bullitt County @ Shanty Tavern
2/28/10 – “Hootenanny For Haiti” – Duff McKagan/Mike McCready/Kim Virant/Kim Warnick/Kristen Ward/Mark Pickerel/Star Anna/Chris Friel/Gary Westlake/Jeff Rouse/Justin Davis/Ty Bailie @ Showbox
3/1/10 – Against Me @ Neumo’s
3/2/10 – Noah Gunderson/The Globes/Brier Rose @ Chop Suey
3/3/10 – Pillow Army/Justin Ripley/Landlord’s Daughter @ Sunset
3/4/10 – Dyme Def/Thee Emergency/Grynch/Pearly Gates Music/Thee Satisfaction @ Tractor
3/5/10 – SXSW Send-Off Hootenanny: Visqueen/Hey Marseilles/Mash Hall/Fences @ Neumo’s
And, because good weather makes for nice walks, long drives, and other reasons to be out and about, here is the Mega-Happy Sunshine Mix (for I am still in mixtape mode):
1) Supergrass – Pumpin On Your Stereo: Anything with a clap, snap, or a tambourine is infectiously fun, plain and simple. It’s got all of em.
2) I’m Still in Love With You – Sean Paul featuring Sasha: I so don’t care what anyone says about this one. I really dislike his voice most of the time, but this song is mega happy! Lord, I can’t help myself. It makes me think of drinking beers in the sun. Then again, a lot of things do.
3) Ladyflash – The Go Team: Another clapping song. It conjures an image of jump roping in front of a fire hydrant with the lid off in New York City, even though they’re English.
4) Earthquake Heart – The Dirtbombs: Quite possibly one of the best songs ever written. It makes you wanna shimmy, shake, and mess your dress.
5) Mint Car – The Cure: C’mon, really, how many super happy ones do they do? “Vanilla smile and a gorgeous strawberry kiss?” Precious!
6) Flashlight – Parliament: This is the funkiest of the funk. A good stinky funk. The mothership is gonna give you a 1 way trip ticket to Awesome Land! Plus, any song that commands you to “Dance, Sucka!” is aces in my book.
7) Ice Cube – Today Was a Good Day: Dude, any day you don’t have to use an AK or you get to feel on a big fat fanny, eat some FatBurger, and play craps is a good kind of day.
8) I Decided – Solange Knowles: It’s kinda like a watered down Supremes song. See comment about clapping.
9) It’s Not Unusual – Tom Jones: The music is crazy happy, the song is not so much. But it makes you wanna dance! He totally insured his chest hair. Hell yes.
10) Wake Me Up (Before You Go Go) – Wham!: C’mon, seriously. This should require no comment. Plus, he wears a giant shirt that says “Choose Life” in the Video.
See you out and about,
Mary Kwatkosky-Lawlor (Imaginary Mimi)
*Three Imaginary Girls*
(Three Imaginary Girls is a Seattle-based website that showcases the great music of the Northwest and beyond to music lovers worldwide. We post a Seattle live show calendar to help you fill your day-planner with loads of great shows, as well as record reviews, live show reviews, and an imagi-blog to entertain you throughout the day.)