- The 3rd Annual Record Store Day is looming around the corner (April 17th!) and wouldn’t you know the list of participants and goodies is beginning to unfurl. Factory 25 will be releasing the first two LPs from its History of Chicago Punk series featuring DA and Tutu & The Pirates.
- Throw a 12-inch single from Yeasayer on the Record Store Day want-list. The group will be releasing O.N.E. on vinyl—and to tease fans, have just released the video for the ODD Blood cut:
- Sub Pop rolled out a long list of Record Store Day releases as well, with two 12-inch released from Beach House and The Album Leaf, a handful of 7-inches from Happy Birthday, CoCoRosie, Dum Dum Girls, and Male Bonding, and an official CD of the best performances from the label’s 2008 20th Anniversary concerts titled SP20: Casual Nostalgia Fest. Perhaps the most intriguing release will be the reissue of the newly reunited Soundgarden‘s 1987 7-inch, “Hunted Down.”
- Lo-fi freakster Ariel Pink is prepping his first release for 4AD, so while fans wait eagerly, he and the label have decided to unveil the title track from the upcoming 7-inch release, “Round and Round”. All it costs is a minute of your time to sign up for Pink’s mailing list.
- Prepare for ORION, the supposedly legit metal LP from Mandy Moore’s husband. Via his official website, Ryan Adams delivered the good (?) news and unveiled an untitled track seemingly from the album.
- Proliferate avant trio, Zs is set to release New Slaves–the band’s proper sophomore release — through The Social Registry May 11th.
- Canadian doom metal duo, Nadja will be releasing the White Nights/Drone Field on DVD later this year via Beta-lactum Ring Records. Currently a part of a Toronto art installation, the film combines two live concerts from Nadja and member Aidan Baker with visuals from a long list of emerging Canadian filmmakers.
- Fan Death Records are a part of the gleeful re-emergence of the cassette, and to celebrate the label is releasing Acid on March 30th from Psychedelic Horseshit. The Times New Viking and Abe Vigoda peers have released the first track for your listening pleasure:
- Wednesday is the big night on the talk shows this week, so clear off your DVR for Free Energy, Metric and The XX. Other highlights include Rhymesayers artist Freeway, who teamed up with local producer Jake One, live on Jimmy Fallon tonight, and Air, also on Fallon at the end of the week. Check out the other highlights here:
Monday, March 15
Jimmy Kimmel: Galactic (R)
Jimmy Fallon: Freeway
Carson Daly: Phoenix (R)
Tuesday, March 16
Jimmy Kimmel: Sade (R)
Wednesday, March 17
David Letterman: Free Energy
Jimmy Fallon: The XX
Carson Daly: Metric
Bonnie Hunt: The Swell Season
Thursday, March 18
Carson Daly: Wild Light
Friday, March 19
Jimmy Fallon: Air