It’s hard to believe Record Store Day is only in its third year — the event has been so fully embraced by fans and musicians alike, and has exploded into such a huge nationwide celebration! Back in 2007, an indie record store clerk in New England named Chris Brown had the brainstorm to start “Record Store Day.” His vision was that artists and retailers would come together to offer exclusive products, available only on that day, as an incentive to get music fans out to their local shops.
That first Record Store Day in 2008 featured about 10 special releases, with 300 stores participating. And now? The 2010 Record Store Day boasts 150 special releases with thousands of stores involved across the world. Wow!
Here’s just a sampling of events happening around town:
- Northwest Film Forum
The Mountain Goats: The Life of the World to Come
Playing only this Saturday on Record Store Day is the Mountain Goats documentary film The Life of the World to Come (as previously reported on the KEXP Blog). 4AD is making available 1500 copies of the film on DVD, which will be for sale at stores participating in RSD and at the NWFF. The limited edition DVD is presented within a gorgeous custom designed 12-page book with liner notes by John Darnielle, created specifically for this project by Horse & Buggy Press in Durham, NC.
- Sonic Boom Records
Check out Minus the Bear performing a free, all-ages in-store at 2:00 pm at the new Capitol Hill location, and Danny Barnes performing at 3:00 pm at the Ballard store.
- Silver Platters
The Queen Anne store has Amber Pacific playing acoustic at noon, H.I.M. doing a signing at 2:30 pm, and Trampled by Turtles playing at 4:00 pm. At 5:30 pm, the store will celebrate its 25th anniversary with members of The Wailers, The Sonics, Don Wilson of the Ventures, Howard Kaylan of the Turtles, Jerry Miller of Moby Grape, and Merrilee Rush.
You can check out a complete list of releases at the Record Store Day website, but some personal highlights include:
- Album Leaf — “There Is a Wind” 12” vinyl single (Featuring 2 new tracks, 2 alternate takes on songs from A Chorus of Storytellers, Sub Pop, limited to 1000 copies)
- Beach House — “Zebra” 12” vinyl single (2 new tracks and 2 alternate from Teen Dream, Sub Pop, limited to 1500 copies)
- Black Keys — “Tighten Up/Howlin’ For You” 12″ vinyl single (contains two new songs, Nonesuch, limited to 50000 copies)
- Bon Iver/Peter Gabriel — “Come Talk To Me”/”Flume” 7” vinyl single (Bon Iver and Peter Gabriel cover each other; Bon Iver track is exclusive to this release, Jagjaguwar, limited to 2000 copies)
- Budos Band/Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings — “Day Tripper”/”Money” 7″ vinyl single
- Built To Spill — “Water Sleepers/Linus & Lucy (Live)” 7″ vinyl single (limited to 2500 copies)
- Charlotte Gainsbourg — “Heavan Can Wait/IRM” 7″ single (with unique Beck remixes, originally broadcast on KCRW, limited to 2500 copies)
- CocoRosie — “Lemonade/Surfer Girl” 7″ vinyl single (one track from upcoming 5/11 album, b-side is a Beach Boys’ cover, Sub Pop, limited to 1400 copies)
- Devo — “Fresh, What We Do” 12″ single (featuring new tracks, limited to 2500 copies)
- Dum Dum Girls/Male Bonding — “Pay For Me/Before It’s Gone” 7” vinyl single (2 new tracks from LA’s Dum Dum Girls and London’s Male Bonding, limited to 1000 copies)
- Fanfarlo — “You Are One of the Few Outsiders Who Really Understands Us/What Makes You Think You’re The One (Fleetwood Mac song)” 7” vinyl single (recorded specifically for RSD, limited to 3500 copies)
- Helio Sequence/Menomena — “Pilgrim’s Progress/Converter” 7” split vinyl single
- The Hold Steady — “Heaven is Whenever” LP (hand screen printed vinyl release, limited to only 600 copies)
- Joy Division — “Box Set” 4 12” vinyl LP set, 180 gram (limited to 820 copies)
- LCD Soundsystem — “Pow Pow” 12” vinyl single (featuring new music from upcoming album)
- Let’s Wrestle/Love Language — “I’m So Lazy/Brittany’s Back” 7” vinyl single (both tracks exclusive to this RSD single, limited to 1000 copies)
- Magnetic Fields — 69 Love Songs box set (3 double gatefold 10″s vinyl singles, with digital convenience card, released 3 days early for RSD, limited to 3000 copies)
- Modest Mouse — The Moon and Antarctica Tenth Anniversary Vinyl Edition reissue (Double LP 180 Gram vinyl)
- Monsters of Folk — Monsters of Folk (Double LP set on clear blue vinyl, limited to 2000 copies)
- Nada Surf — If I Had a Hi-Fi (New album being released on RSD, about 4 weeks before general release, limited to 1500 copies)
- Neko Case — Middle Cyclone (issued on 12″ clear vinyl, limited to 2000 copies)
- Of Montreal — “Back To School/Subtext Read, Nothing New” 7” vinyl single (“Back To School” is a Royal Trux cover, “Subtext Read” is a new Of Montreal track, limited to 1000 copies)
- R.E.M. — Chronic Town EP (Previously out of print debut; limited edition blue 12” vinyl, individually numbered)
- Superchunk — “Misfits and Mistakes/Misfits and Mistakes (Meatwad version)” 7” vinyl single (picture disc release; autographed by the band, limited to 500 copies)
- The Thermals/The Cribs — Split 7″ single
- Yeasayer -– O.N.E. 12” vinyl (four versions of the track including remix by XXXchange; from Odd Blood)