- New generational Yacht Rockers Vampire Weekend are the target of Contra cover model, Kristen Kennis. Kennis is suing the band for $2 million claiming the photography release form signature using her name was forged.
- Nashville legend Hank Cochran died at the end of last week at age 74. During the 60′s, Cochran wrote many hits for stars like George Jones, Eddy Arnold, Merle Haggard and Loretta Lynn, and is probably most famous for having written “I Fall to Pieces,” one of the signature pieces performed by Patsy Cline. On the night before his death, Cochran was joined by friends including Billy Ray Cyrus and Jamey Johnson, who sang with him. Read more here.
- By now you’re likely jamming the new Ariel Pink’s Haunted Graffiti album, Before Today, nonstop. Now the band aims to lure you away from your stereo for a quick glimpse at their new video for the song, “Mistaken Wedding.” Enjoy the karaoke vibes:
- If you have yet to catch the cassette wave, it’s going to catch you (if Pitchfork has anything to say about it). If you’re looking to ease into the renewed phenomenon, why not grab the upcoming cassette reissues from Joan of Arc? Joyful Noise is offering up the band’s entire discography in tape form. A limited edition set collecting the entire JOA canon sold out in no time, so get what you can while you can.
- Just when everyone was telling you the upcoming Guided by Voices reunion was a one-time gig, Robert Pollard and the band’s ‘classic’ lineup are hitting the road for a full on tour. Fear not Seattleites, the band hits the Showbox SoDo on October 9th.
- Although still very broke, EMI is going to coax your hard money into their threadbare pockets. How do they plan to do it: a mega deluxe reissue of 1976 David Bowie album, Station to Station. On top of the original album on LP and CD, the set features two album’s worth of a Nassau Coliseum performance from the era (also on LP and CD), posters, backstage pass replicas, and a host of other collectibles. The set is due September 28th.
- And speaking of David Bowie, a new compilation of Bowie songs is due in September. Released by Manimal Vinyl, the album reportedly called We Were So Turned On (also reportedly called Repetition) will feature a range of artists including Warpaint, Duran Duran, Carla Bruni, Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros, Megapuss, Vivian Girls, Chairlift, and many others. Proceeds will benefit the organization War Child. Enjoy this sample:
- Not a whole lot going on during the late night talk shows this week, but when you’re setting your DVR, don’t miss new performance by Alejandro Escovedo, MGMT, Metric, and The Gaslight Anthem. Here are the highlights:
Monday, July 19
Carson Daly: Janelle Monae (R)
Tuesday, July 20
Carson Daly: Arctic Monkeys (R)
Wednesday, July 21
David Letterman: Alejandro Escovedo
Jay Leno: Metric
Carson Daly: Weezer (R)
Thursday, July 22
Jimmy Kimmel: Keane
Friday, July 23
Jay Leno: The Gaslight Anthem
Craig Ferguson: MGMT