- Time for a reunion we can all get behind: Iggy Pop and Jim Jarmusch. Jarmusch and Pop are working on a documentary of Pop’s career but any promise of a quick turn-around has been quashed by Jarmusch, who merely dropped the project in passing to Pitchfork, calling it a “long-term documentary project.”
- Neil Young has announced Le Noise, his follow-up to Fork in the Road, for a September 28th release. The album was produced by Daniel Lanois, who states: “We cut a couple of solo acoustic songs... There’s no band, but I got in there with my sonics. There’s nothing else out there like it.”
- The Walkmen have combined with arts and crafts website Etsy to deliver limited edition versions of their upcoming album, Lisbon. The band’s Etsy store features CD and LP art packages, t-shirts, and a poster all exclusive to Etsy -- all to be shipped around the September 14th street date for the regular ol’ versions of Lisbon.
- Sufjan Stevens has officially announced that his next full-length (no, not another state-themed project) will be called The Age of Adz and is scheduled for release on October 12 through Asthmatic Kitty. The first single, “I Walked,” is available for free download:
- Caribou‘s most awesome live show is coming to Seattle’s Showbox on October 4th. Even more awesome is opener Emeralds, the on-fire synth and guitar three-piece who have been a staple of the cassette scene for nearly 4 years.
- In anticipation of their new, self-titled album due out next week, Interpol have released another new video, this time for “Barricade”:
- HBO cult hit “Bored to Death” not only returns with its second season on September 26th, just after the first season’s DVD set hits shelves, the Jason Schwartzman/Zach Galifianakis/Ted Danson bumbling detective vehicle will also find itself the subject of a soundtrack featuring the talents of TV on the Radio, Andrew Bird, and She & Him (among others). The CD soundtrack and DVD are scheduled for September 21st.
- It’s a mix of new and repeat performances on the late night talk shows this week. Among the new ones, you might want to check out Chief live with Ferguson, Black Mountain with Fallon, and Karen Elson with Letterman. Here are the rest of the highlights:
Monday, August 30
Jimmy Kimmel: The Swell Season (R)
Craig Ferguson: Chief
Carson Daly: Phoenix (R)
Tuesday, August 31
David Letterman: Merle Haggard
Jimmy Fallon: Black Mountain
Carson Daly: Surfer Blood (R)
Wednesday, September 1
Jimmy Fallon: A performance from “Yo Gabba Gabba”
Thursday, September 2
David Letterman: Karen Elson
Friday, September 3
Go catch a movie.