- The EMP is one of the crown jewels of our fair city (architecturally anyway), but the majority of Seattleites probably haven’t been there more than once or twice. Next year, once or twice will become twice or thrice, as a new Nirvana exhibit called Nirvana: Taking Punk to the Masses will be installed and will run from April 11th, 2011 to April 22nd, 2013. It will feature over 200 Nirvana-related artifacts and is sure to bring out fans from all over the area, as well as a bevy of tourists. With all due respect to The Supremes, this is what belongs at the EMP! Click here for more info.
- It’s been a roller-coaster of a week for rapper T.I. On Wednesday he heard about a potential suicide jumper on the radio, and rushed to the building to talk him down from the ledge, promising the jumper some one-on-one face time. Only a few days later he found out that he’s being sent back to prison for for 11 months on drug and weapons charges. There has been speculation that the attempted suicide was a publicity stunt meant to garner favor with the courts, but both T.I. and the Atlanta Police claim the act was genuine. You’d think they could have shaved some time off his sentence for saving a guy’s life!
- After releasing the wildly popular Brothers earlier this year, The Black Keys are now bigger than ever. So big that they’re single “Tighten Up” won the MTV Video Award for Breakthrough Video...kind of. When the band received the statue, the band name read “Black Eyed Peas” instead of “The Black Keys”. Maybe this means the ‘Keys still aren’t poppy enough for MTV (or at least the statue placard printer).
- The Cold War Kids will be releasing their third LP Mine Is Yours in January and have leaked the song “Royal Blue” to Rolling Stone. Click here for info and footage of the studio session and here to stream the song.
- Prince has announced that he will embarking on a US tour that will feature several artists including KEXP favorite Janelle Monae. Considering Prince is one of the best live musicians of all-time, this is probably something to be excited about.
- It has been reported that in his autobiography Life which will be released on October 26th, Keith Richards has called Mick Jagger “unbearable” and talks of how they have been estranged for years. This might not really be that newsworthy, but it’s a great opportunity to bring up the fact that Keith Richards much-anticipated autobiography is about to be released. This will be an absolute MUST read, and is sure to include several anecdotes of 60s and 70s rock star debauchery at its finest.
For your late-night network TV enjoyment:
Jimmy Kimmel - MGMT
Carson Daly - Nas & Damian Marley
Jay Leno - Weezer
Tuesday, October 19th
Jimmy Kimmel - Mumford & Sons
Carson Daly - Menomena
Wednesday, October 20th
Jimmy Kimmel - Die Antwoord
Carson Daly - The Morning Benders
Jay Leno - OK Go
And, quickly, speaking of OK Go, in case you haven’t yet seen their latest impressively choreographed video, which has racked up more than 6 million YouTube views in less than a month, here it is:
Carson Daly - Japandroids
Friday, October 22nd
Carson Daly - Los Campesinos!