Song of the Day: Of Monsters and Men - Little Talks

Every Monday through Friday, we deliver a different song as part of our Song of the Day podcast subscription. This podcast features exclusive KEXP in-studio performances, unreleased tracks, and recordings from independent artists that our DJs think you should hear. Each and every Friday we offer songs by local artists. Today’s selection, featured on the Midday Show with Cheryl Waters, is “Little Talks” by Of Monsters and Men from their 2010 self-released single.

Of Monsters and Men - Little Talks (watch video)

Ever since we started playing this song, listeners have been writing and calling in to ask where to find it. As of yet, the Icelandic band Of Monsters and Men do not have album to sell, but you should count yourself lucky to catch them right on the verge of blowing up. Already singer/guitarists Nanna Bryndís Hilmarsdóttir and Raggi þórhallsson, along with drummer Arnar Rósenkranz Hilmarsson and guitarist Brynjar Leifsson, have gained recognition at home with their 2010 win of Músiktilraunir, the nationwide battle of the bands competition, which considering the immense competition among the many amazing Icelandic bands is a huge honor. It’s only a matter of time, though, for the rest of the world to catch on. One listen to “Little Talks” and you’re already imagining yourself raising a glass in a place like The Tractor, The Horseshoe, Metro, Antone’s, or any other American club as the band plays their catchy songs of acoustic folk and while your friends, arm in arm, yell out “hey” at the appropriate time. Immediately likable and impossible to get out of your head, “Little Talks” will be one of the best discoveries you have all year.

We were fortunate to discover Of Monsters and Men during Iceland Airwaves this year and had the opportunity to film them in their living room as they performed two songs exclusively for KEXP listeners. Check out the videos below and follow the band on their MySpace and Facebook pages. It won’t be long from now when you’ll be able to say, “I was listening to them way back when....”

This entry was posted in Iceland Airwaves, KEXP, Song of the Day Podcast and tagged . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Paul
    Posted December 18, 2010 at 1:06 pm | Permalink

They kind of remind me of Stars and Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros.

2. Paul
    Posted December 18, 2010 at 1:08 pm | Permalink

Kind of reminds me of both Stars and Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros.

3. Tiney
    Posted December 21, 2010 at 10:08 pm | Permalink

This is awesome!!! Thank you

4. ter-
    Posted December 24, 2010 at 12:35 am | Permalink

Such an amazing song! Makes me dance =)

5. Lynette Kleve
    Posted January 2, 2011 at 2:31 am | Permalink

CD! CD! CD! If you make a CD, they will buy....grin. Very nice group, love your music!!! :-)

6. Stacy
    Posted January 2, 2011 at 8:40 am | Permalink

Love it! Thank you!

7. Tyler Bradley
    Posted June 13, 2011 at 2:10 pm | Permalink

They remind me so much of Edward Sharpe and The Magnetic Zeros. I even told my friend the other day, “I think I’ve found my new Edward Sharpe and The Magnetic Zeros!”

8. kaitlyn
    Posted June 30, 2011 at 11:29 pm | Permalink

it makes me so happy to see this!! my husband and i were in reykyavik iceland in february and we heard these guys play a local club and fell in love. this takes me back to one of the best places i’ve ever been :)

9. brian gomez
    Posted August 23, 2011 at 7:41 pm | Permalink

OMG....came across this group by chance on youtube....freakin awsome...playing it loud here in West Texas!!!

10. Davey Boy
    Posted October 11, 2011 at 8:35 pm | Permalink

Effin’ awesome song. This is Exhibit A of why I love KEXP.

11. Don
    Posted November 26, 2011 at 1:15 am | Permalink

Alright, totally East Coast Poser here...but awesome....we need moar plz...and play at the NORVA!!

12. Sarah
    Posted November 29, 2011 at 5:02 pm | Permalink

Is there a way to get these guys around Seattle/Bellingham area? I cannot get enough of ‘em...
    :):):)
    Or even where to get an album?

13. Eric
    Posted December 13, 2011 at 8:45 pm | Permalink

You guy’s are next( just saying) I’ve shared you guy’s in all my friends walls. I wish u success and fame. -From Puerto Rico

14. Lauren
    Posted April 22, 2012 at 7:55 pm | Permalink

their songs sound and remind you of Edward Sharpe because they ripped off the melodies from Sharpe. If you listen to “Dirty Paws” by Of monsters and men, you can literally sing “Home” by Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros... thats why it reminds you so much of them.

15. michelle
    Posted May 5, 2012 at 9:35 am | Permalink

it also reminds me of edward sharpe and the magnetic zeros

16. evan
    Posted May 6, 2012 at 12:33 pm | Permalink

Yes, I haven’t listened to the radio in years but my new car did not have a cd player so I cranked the dial and heard this. I actually thought they WERE Edward and the Zeros.