- Sad news from California: Don Van Vliet, also known as the experimental and influential musician Captain Beefheart died on Friday from complications resulting from multiple sclerosis. He was 69. Here’s his video for “Ice Cream for Crow”:
- The Black Keys will be SNL’s first musical guest of 2011. The show will run on January 8 and Jim Carey will host.
- A new Beach Fossils EP is due out in February. Listen to “Calyer” here via Pitchfork.
- In June, Chicago musician Matthew Leone tried to intervene when a woman being beaten by her husband cried for help. The man, Justin Pivec, ended up savagely beating Leone whose injuries were severe. Unfortunately, Leone didn’t have health insurance, and his medical bills totaled upwards of $300,000. To add to the tragedy, Pivec has been released on bond. A fund has been set up, and you can donate to help Leone with his bills here. Read the Chicago Tribune article here.
- Nick Cave and Grinderman have released a creepy new video for their song “Evil.” The video was directed by John Hillcoat, who also directed the film adaptation of The Road. Watch here and get ready for some nightmares:
- Listen to the spirited new Beach House song “I Do Not Care For The Winter Sun.”
- Pitchfork has released their top 50 albums of 2010. No surprise as Kanye comes in at number one.
- For your late-night TV enjoyment:
Monday, December 20
Conan O’Brien - Beach House
Jay Leno - Pink Martini
Tuesday, December 21
Jay Leno - Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings
Jimmy Kimmel - Social Distortion (R)
Tavis Smiley - Patti Smith
Wednesday, December 22
David Letterman - Grace Potter & The Nocturnals
Jimmy Kimmel - Brad
Carson Daly - The Walkmen (R)
Colbert Report - Patti Smith (R)
Thursday, December 23
Jimmy Fallon - Aaron Neville
Conan O’Brien - Reggie Watts
Friday, December 24
Not much happening. Merry Christmas!