- The album Gorrilaz recorded on an iPad that was scheduled to be released on Christmas has been released, because Christmas was the other day. It is called The Fall and you can stream the whole thing on Gorillaz’ website. It is available for download for Gorillaz fanclub members.
- Four-time Grammy nominee and R&B singer and songwriter Teena Marie died yesterday at age 54. Best known for the 80′s hits “Lovergirl” and “Ooo La La La,” Teena Marie released 13 albums in her lifetime, was a protégée of funk singer Rick James, and signed with Motown Records early in her career. Read more here.
- Wayne Coyne recently told Rolling Stone that the Flaming Lips will be heading in to the studio soon. They’ll be releasing a new song every month and will film the entire process. Exciting!
- South By Southwest has announced their third round of showcase acts for the 2011 festival. Click here for all the recently-announced third round additions, including The Joy Formidable, Das Racist, Sound Lechre, and James Blake, as well as the gajillion other bands that will be occupying the many venues of Austin next March.
- Speaking of The Joy Formidable: the London-based trio is about to release a full-length debut, The Big Roar, on March 15, and has just made a video for their first single, Austere:
- Yeasayer have released a name-your-own-price live album, Live At Ancienne Belgique, which was recorded in Brussels in October. It is available on their website here.
- It’s shaping up to be a big 2011 for the Foo Fighers. They’ll be a releasing a much-anticipated new album featuring Butch Vig behind the boards and Krist Novoselic playing bass on a few tracks, and it’s already been announced that they’ll be headlining Sasquatch!. They recently debuted several songs off the new album at a secret show in LA.
- New Year’s Eve is right around the corner, and other than champagne and fireworks, nothing rings the new year in better than live music. Pitchfork and Rolling Stone have both put out some helpful guides for some of the best NYE shows around the country.
- For your late-night, re-run laden TV enjoyment:
Monday, December 27
David Letterman - Ra Ra Riot (R)
Jimmy Kimmel - The Temper Trap (R)
Carson Daly - Japandroids (R)
Tuesday, December 28
Jimmy Fallon - Annie Lennox (R)
Carson Daly - Menomena (R)
Wednesday, December 29
David Letterman - Florence and the Machine (R)
Jay Leno - Robyn (R)
Thursday, December 30
Jimmy Kimmel - Crystal Castles (R)
Jimmy Fallon - Toots & The Maytals (R)
Carson Daly - Los Campesinos! (R)
Friday, December 31
Carson Daly - Nas & Damian Marley (R)