KEXP and Radio New York

To our listeners in New York, 91.5 FM has made a programming change and will no longer carry KEXP’s programming. We welcomed the opportunity on Radio NY to serve listeners and champion artists, and we will continue to help people from New York and all over the world to discover music 24 hours a day on 90.3 FM in Seattle at KEXP.ORG.

Radio New York forged a new partnership with a local New York Station, WFUV
The City of New York has an interest to create more original locally based programming, and the partnership with Fordham University’s public radio station WFUV, emerged as an opportunity to work with a local university. Read more about the partnership between 91.5 FM and WFUV here.

KEXP is committed to continue serving New Yorkers
Our mission is discovery based and we continue to serve music lovers in New York 24 hours a day at KEXP.ORG. We continue to champion New York artists, with a particular focus on emerging artists, by bringing their music and live performances to people on air at 90.3 FM in Seattle and online at KEXP.ORG.

We have enjoyed the partnership with 91.5 FM and it has enabled us to serve more music lovers in New York. We wish the best for 91.5 FM and their partnership with WFUV.

If you have questions, comments or concerns, please email info@kexp.org.

This entry was posted in KEXP. Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Brett
    Posted May 31, 2011 at 11:20 am | Permalink

Looks like I’ll be deleting 91.5 from all of my presets. Nice way to “emerge as an oppportunity”.

2. Mike
    Posted May 31, 2011 at 11:50 am | Permalink

My wife and I are so incredibly bummed by this news. KEXP is the only great terrestrial station we can listen to in the tri-state area, and it’s a great loss. Have been turned on to fantastic bands and songs, and enjoyed hearing DJs with their own individual taste on air.

You will be sorely missed.

3. Erica
    Posted May 31, 2011 at 12:02 pm | Permalink

Sad to hear we won’t get John In the Morning anymore here in nyc – love that show. Going to have to listen online now I guess! :-)

4. Susan
    Posted May 31, 2011 at 3:24 pm | Permalink

Ironically I discovered this truly sad news while checking the KEXP site for play lists to track the amazing stuff I’ve heard on Wake Up and John in the Morning. Although I won’t delete 91.5 from my preset, there are other programs I enjoy, I so agree with Mike and his wife and am really bummed.
    I don’t understand the placing of the Alternate Side in that slot, especially since WFUV has it’s own station and Alternate Side broadcasts there already.
    Any audiophile with eclectic taste like myself has preset both 91.5 and 90.7 and anything similar to satisfy the void (aka commercial radio). Duplication obviously reduces the ability to have a little of it all.

5. mmg
    Posted May 31, 2011 at 4:58 pm | Permalink

now there is officially no good music left for the morning drive in nyc- rip

6. Joseph Horne
    Posted May 31, 2011 at 7:26 pm | Permalink

I have listened to Rock ‘n’ Roll radio since August 1955; from Alan Freed and Top 40 to the advent of FM freeform and through a long decline, marked by one or two exceptional DJs. In my opinion, John Richards is as good as it gets – the heir apparent to Vin Scelsa – and he will be missed. He has the three essentials needed: a wide ranging musical knowledge; an original sensibility; and the ability to string the two together in long sets, with great segues. Here’s hoping KEXP gets a new venue in NY; we need it.

7. Gary Stone
    Posted June 1, 2011 at 3:58 am | Permalink

I am sad to hear of the stations closing. Have you thought of making a phone app so we can easily listen to the station?

8. Dan
    Posted June 1, 2011 at 4:47 am | Permalink

I will miss Michele Myers and the other KEXP DJs on 91.5 but will start listening to their shows online. WNYE made a big mistake; it could have added the WFUV programming in another time slot w/o taking off KEXP.

9. Alastair
    Posted June 1, 2011 at 6:37 am | Permalink

Major bummer! It was great having KEXP in NY… WFUV is fine and all, but they already have a radio station. Will really miss The 5 Boroughs radio show on Thursday nights.

10. JW
    Posted June 1, 2011 at 6:45 am | Permalink

that sucks just found out this morning when i heard the new show on my way to work… both wake up and John in the Morning were great shows….

11. JW
    Posted June 1, 2011 at 6:47 am | Permalink

@Gary Stone….. there already is a phone app.

12. TFHackett
    Posted June 1, 2011 at 6:49 am | Permalink

I’m feeling very mixed about this, as I’ve been a long-time ‘FUV listener. My morning drive is about 40 minutes, and I’d switch between both stations on the way in to work. I heard a lot of music via KEXP that I’d never have discovered elsewhere. I’ll still check out KEXP online when I can. Thanks, KEXP, it was nice meeting you.

13. Rich
    Posted June 1, 2011 at 6:55 am | Permalink

I’m totally crushed. Michelle and John made my commute something to look forward to. The DJ WNYE had on this morning pales in comparison. Seriously. This is the worst news I’ve heard in a while. How did this happen?!!

14. hooka
    Posted June 1, 2011 at 7:01 am | Permalink

wow – major disappointment this morning. all good things do come to an end apparently.

15. James
    Posted June 1, 2011 at 7:06 am | Permalink

I absolutely agree with Susan and Joseph. No need for duplication of a mediocre show (Alternate Side), and John is absolutely as good as it gets.
    Worst commute ever this morning when I was subjected to the “personalities” of Alternate Side. I guess I’ll go back to listening to KXP podcasts on my iPod, but it’s not the same.
    Alternate Side is for parking. Gimme back my KEXP!

16. V
    Posted June 1, 2011 at 7:21 am | Permalink

I’ve never been more upset. John is the best thing to ever happen to NY radio. The radio is dead to me now.

17. Nick
    Posted June 1, 2011 at 7:37 am | Permalink

I’ve been dreading the day that this would come. I’ve told everyone I know to listen to 91.5 in the mornings. Could be much worse though: the City could have opted for talk radio or more foreign language programs in the morning.

Are the other KEXP programs being pulled as well or just the 6 a.m. – 12 noon?

18. Posted June 1, 2011 at 7:47 am | Permalink

Thanks for your concern, Nick. There will no longer be any KEXP programming on WNYE. But you can always listen to us — 24/7 — on KEXP.ORG.

19. SS
    Posted June 1, 2011 at 8:00 am | Permalink

My heart…sigh…is breaking! Seriously..KEXP has been my sanctuary, the drive is unbearable without Michelle and John in the morning. I can’t listen at work, so I’ll only be able to find you via ear buds now. Thank you SO much for being there up until now and please know this new gig pales in comparison. I miss the music!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20. Deborah Gallaro
    Posted June 1, 2011 at 8:00 am | Permalink

What a bummer!! I woke up this morning and instead of hearing Michelle rock my morning I get WFUV. They have their own station! I walked right over to my tuner and went back and forth between the two stations trying to figure out if I was losing my mind. I think this is a major mistake on NYE’s part. If I want to hear FUV (and it’s not often I do) I can tune into their station. I will stream KEXP as usual but I will really miss the local programming in the morning and Thursday night.

21. Sam
    Posted June 1, 2011 at 8:02 am | Permalink

if this decision angers you as much as it did me,
    you can write to WNYE directly.
    address your comments to
    Milly Perez
    miperez@media.nyc.gov

22. Brian Sniatkowski
    Posted June 1, 2011 at 8:04 am | Permalink

Noooooooo!

23. Mike
    Posted June 1, 2011 at 8:05 am | Permalink

My favorite memory with the program was a morning a couple of months back, I was driving a box across Manhattan and the load was needed at 9am.
    I was on the East Side of the island and the drop off was all the way on the West Side. 9am rolled around. I started getting tense with the stress of being late to a job, but right when that sweat started to roll down my brow the first song from Seattle came on the radio: This Year by the Mountain Goats.
    I was late, but I had a smile on my face as I sat in traffic singing along.

Super bummed……

24. Kelly
    Posted June 1, 2011 at 8:13 am | Permalink

This was a shocking and very sad discovery this morning when I turned my radio to 91.5 at exactly 9am and did not here the “John in the morning” song. I can only hope that the NYC station will stop this, and return us to KEXP. As others have said, this was the only station that was great on the radio. It brought me back to the 90’s, and up to date with 2011. I will sorely miss this part of my morning.

25. Unctorious
    Posted June 1, 2011 at 8:25 am | Permalink

Damn, what a bummer! WFUV is pretty good, but it was always my second choice to KEXP.

Haven’t heard alternate side much (if at all?) as I usually tune into WFUV around 7-8 P.M.; the D.J. (I guess it was Alisa Ali) sounded inexperienced, maybe a little nervous, hope she grows into the role.

Those mornings where I have to drive to the courts in Brooklyn won’t be nearly as enjoyable now. Must say, KEXP is a class organization!

26. murth
    Posted June 1, 2011 at 8:26 am | Permalink

At least I’ll be on time now. Can’t tell you how many times I sat in my car listening to John’s brilliant show openings. Sad, sad news. The morning commute just got a whole lot drearier.

27. Adrienne
    Posted June 1, 2011 at 8:33 am | Permalink

This is so disappointing both to me and my 2 small children (3 & 5 yrs) who actually ask me to sing “John in the Morning” as their bedtime lullaby. KEXP turned the family on to so many great artists. Where else can you hear Baby Dayliner on tristate terrestrial radio? Unfortunately, I can’t stream at my office, so who knows when I’ll be able to tune in again. What a bummer.

28. Tim
    Posted June 1, 2011 at 8:46 am | Permalink

I’m crushed. I loved playing this for my girls as I drove them to daycare.

29. andrea
    Posted June 1, 2011 at 8:56 am | Permalink

I am heartbroken this morning. Didn’t take long to miss my beloved few hours of John in the Morning. (John & Troy are better for any non-morning person than any cup of coffee or anti-depressant). The decision to switch to the rather mediocre “Alternative Side” was a poor one. I have had more exposure to local NY bands on KEXP than anything else over the past year, and miss the “non-alternative” segues in between songs as well. I can’t wait until KEXP gets a new home in NY.

I MISS YOU KEXP!!

30. Camila Ribeiro
    Posted June 1, 2011 at 9:37 am | Permalink

I will miss you dearly Michele! :(

31. Lisa B
    Posted June 1, 2011 at 10:39 am | Permalink

I sort of feel like crying. You can’t imagine how much of an impact on my life Wake Up had on a daily basis. Miss you, Kevin and Michele :-(

Also, no one really mentioned Mo Glo but I was a big fan of that show as well.

I know we can listen online but it is not the same thing at all. Wake Up was for New York specifically.

32. Christian
    Posted June 1, 2011 at 11:04 am | Permalink

Susan # 4 said everything I wanted to say. I will miss Michele Myers and her eclectic mix. KEXP was keeping me from getting musically old. I will miss you guys.

33. Sabrina Veksler
    Posted June 1, 2011 at 11:32 am | Permalink

I now have no reason to wake up in the morning. This was a terrible mistake. I will miss Michele Myers and John Richards very dearly.

34. David
    Posted June 1, 2011 at 12:32 pm | Permalink

I absolutely loved John’s show: spontaneity, expertise, class, cutting-edge artistry. I still remember the broadcast on 5/18/10 marking the 30th anniversary of Ian Curtis’s death, as well as an impromptu all-day ’80s redux. I wholeheartedly agree with the comment naming John Richards as the heir apparent to Vin Scelsa. Thanks for all the music. You’ll be missed!

35. Kelly
    Posted June 1, 2011 at 12:37 pm | Permalink

Thank you Sam – I hope many will contact NYC government to try to fix this extremly upsetting situation!

Milly Perez
    miperez@media.nyc.gov

36. AWB
    Posted June 1, 2011 at 1:38 pm | Permalink

Brooklyn to Long Island every week day. Hour-long drive. Lucky to leave at 9:00am. John’s lovely openers and creative sets ushered me onto the BQE and down the LIE many a morning, be it winter or summer. Where else would I hear a show begin with the dreamy “I Would for You” or a block of Gil Scott-Heron? John in the Morning. . .a true light on the airwaves. Much Love and Gratitude.

37. Sharad
    Posted June 1, 2011 at 1:51 pm | Permalink

KEXP has been a revelation and a sanctuary in my NYC-life these last two years. Michele et al., you will be sorely missed and treasured.

38. Anthony
    Posted June 1, 2011 at 5:55 pm | Permalink

My Friends On The Other Coast Will Be Dearly Missed.

39. Jennifer
    Posted June 1, 2011 at 6:52 pm | Permalink

Michelle, John and Troy are as wonderful to listen to as the music they play. Please come back. Please. Why take away this joyful little part of my world?

40. V k
    Posted June 1, 2011 at 8:22 pm | Permalink

Please come back to nyc

41. Susie
    Posted June 1, 2011 at 8:36 pm | Permalink

So bummed to tune in today and hear the “Alternate Side” coming from 91.5. Like many others here I would jump between 91.5 and 90.7 during my hour plus commute, spending more time with KEXP than FUV. Typically, I stream KEXP when get into the office so I still get my fix of John in the mornings. KEXP just seems to have their programming together, Rita Houston and her team over at FUV fall a hair short of “getting it”, although she gets a A for effort. Fortunately with a little help from Mr. Technology all you NY’s with an external media port in you car stereo can stream KEPX via your smart phone and still have your John in the morning.

42. susan
    Posted June 2, 2011 at 3:56 am | Permalink

91.5 alternate side – not good programming. not even close to what kexp offered. such a shame to lose such a great on air presence here.

43. Erik B
    Posted June 2, 2011 at 5:17 am | Permalink

So frustrating! No more laying in bed half asleep with my alarm going off Shazaming great new alternative music spun by Michelle Meyers and John in the Morning. This is really upsetting. Not really sure how or why this had to happen or how the FCC or local communications regulations work but please, please, please can’t there be a way to keep this geat programming coming? Please!

44. maryann
    Posted June 2, 2011 at 6:04 am | Permalink

…..a huge loss for nyc area radio!!!!….can’t tell you how many times i told friends about your amazing programming…..i will miss you in the car but you’ll be with me at work….:)…..here’s to hoping you’ll return to a local radio station soon….

45. Sean
    Posted June 2, 2011 at 6:30 am | Permalink

Horrible…horrible..they should keep JR Morning Show and move the FUV stuff to the 12PM slot when that annoying guy Gary Null has a talk show……

Quality, creative DJs like John are a dying breed…I am severely bummed

I might actually, finally, write my Congressman….

46. Jayne
    Posted June 2, 2011 at 6:44 am | Permalink

I haven’t been this bummed out about losing a radio station since WLIR/WDRE went off the air in the 90’s. I will miss Michele Meyers and John in the Morning.

47. Tanya
    Posted June 2, 2011 at 7:05 am | Permalink

Oh, that’s what’s going on! I thought my radio was on the fritz. So incredibly bummed about this. I would listen to 91.5 in my car on the way to train station and on my little am/fm radio when I got into work. Guess my computers will be getting extra workouts :/

(Just glad you’re still broadcasting period!)

48. Rob
    Posted June 2, 2011 at 7:07 am | Permalink

Its been along time since I could bare turning on my radio. I happened to stumble onto John’s show and was hooked. Thank you for playing music that says something to me about my life.

49. Stacy
    Posted June 2, 2011 at 7:35 am | Permalink

DEVASTATING. I will miss Michelle and John terribly on my early morning drive to work every morning.

50. eliana