KEXP and Radio New York

To our listeners in New York, 91.5 FM has made a programming change and will no longer carry KEXP’s programming. We welcomed the opportunity on Radio NY to serve listeners and champion artists, and we will continue to help people from New York and all over the world to discover music 24 hours a day on 90.3 FM in Seattle at KEXP.ORG.

Radio New York forged a new partnership with a local New York Station, WFUV
The City of New York has an interest to create more original locally based programming, and the partnership with Fordham University’s public radio station WFUV, emerged as an opportunity to work with a local university. Read more about the partnership between 91.5 FM and WFUV here.

KEXP is committed to continue serving New Yorkers
Our mission is discovery based and we continue to serve music lovers in New York 24 hours a day at KEXP.ORG. We continue to champion New York artists, with a particular focus on emerging artists, by bringing their music and live performances to people on air at 90.3 FM in Seattle and online at KEXP.ORG.

We have enjoyed the partnership with 91.5 FM and it has enabled us to serve more music lovers in New York. We wish the best for 91.5 FM and their partnership with WFUV.

If you have questions, comments or concerns, please email info@kexp.org.

This entry was posted in KEXP. Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Matt
    Posted June 2, 2011 at 7:53 am | Permalink

Listening to KEXP was the highlight of my morning. It will be missed.

2. Allen
    Posted June 2, 2011 at 8:09 am | Permalink

Woke up on my birthday yesterday expecting Michelle and John to ease me into the day with their brilliant shows. Happy Friggin Birthday. I will certainly be visitng kexp.org a lot more!

3. John
    Posted June 2, 2011 at 8:11 am | Permalink

This is awful news. There is now huge void on the NY radio dial. WFUV is great, too, but they already have a presence here.

I am going to miss Wake Up and JITM badly. Please come back KEXP!

Is the pint-sized billionaire behind this? Can’t help but think he is.

4. Robert
    Posted June 2, 2011 at 8:25 am | Permalink

Very bummed. Me and the kids (18 and 9) loved listening as breakfast was cooking and they were getting ready to go off to school. We loved the music and we’ll have to pipe you in via the laptop. Thanks for a great run!

5. Susan
    Posted June 2, 2011 at 9:37 am | Permalink

I’m so upset. My morning drive is not the same. The new show and DJ on WFUV are lacking in so many ways. I was nearly in tears when I realized that my favorite morning show is gone. Wake Up was the only show I would listen to on the radio. I miss Michele Myers dearly! Tragic… :(

6. PhilipNJ
    Posted June 2, 2011 at 9:51 am | Permalink

The alternate side music selection is similar so it isn’t a total loss but John in particular is very good old school dj. Cant tell you how many times I’d be listening and hear some new song and think “this reminds me a little of…” and the next song would be that song. He strings together sets as good as anyone in the Biz. I suspect the decision is a financial one… A syndicated program as polished as theirs costs a pretty penny to license I’m sure. This coming right on the heels of the fundraiser seems to suggest it was about dollars. Just a guess though.

Well, here’s hoping that Russ guy on Aternate Side gets better. He does pick some winners but just doesn’t seem to play the breadth that John and Michele did.

7. Bruce
    Posted June 2, 2011 at 10:17 am | Permalink

I fiddled with my radio dial for several minutes in disbelief this week, and simply couldn’t identify the voice filling in for John. Hmmm, it wasn’t Troy either. Where did my morning rush hour companions go? What? KEXP gone? WFUV? . . but they’re already up the dial a little bit. Guess it’s true, al l good things must pass. At least FUV is spinning edgier stuff here at 91.5, rather than just their usual fare. We’ll have to give them a chance, I suppose.

Still, you will be missed Seattle! Thanks for your all too brief foray into the NYC airwaves. What a great station. Thank goodness for the interwebs !

Ciao

8. Tony
    Posted June 2, 2011 at 10:38 am | Permalink

Will miss you guys dearly. My only salvation on my morning drive to work. WAKE UP was a breath of freah air . Michelle & Kevin have turned me on to more music in the last few years than Ican rember. I would have to go back to the days when I was a kid and listened to WNEW in the 60’s. Please try and find another station to broadcast on. I’ll catch you on the internet but my mornings won’t be the same.

9. eric
    Posted June 2, 2011 at 11:44 am | Permalink

I was enraged and ready to write a comment filled with 4 letter words, but i’ll just say this…
    what a lousy decision to get rid of kexp. arrrrggggghhhhhh

10. Kelly
    Posted June 2, 2011 at 3:57 pm | Permalink

I can’t believe the shows that I loved, the one show that made my hellish morning commute bearable…gone? Say it isn’t so!!!! Pleae bring back wake up! Please please please!

11. Jon
    Posted June 2, 2011 at 4:03 pm | Permalink

Well, now it’s official…No reason left to listen to terrestrial radio. Just another example of a meddling Government making bad decisions.

KEXP.org 24/7.

12. George
    Posted June 2, 2011 at 4:32 pm | Permalink

really really ruined my morning today as I realized the change was not only the DJ but the music too. FUV already has a station in NY down the dial and KEXP was my morning ritual since I discovered it in early 2009. I will miss it immensly

13. Margaret Durbeck
    Posted June 2, 2011 at 6:05 pm | Permalink

I am confused! I’m going to miss hearing the intro song for John in the Morning and the great mix of music and no Friday song!!! I’m going to listen but it’s not the same.

14. Maura
    Posted June 3, 2011 at 4:08 am | Permalink

This is so sad! KEXP by far played the best music available to Brooklyn listeners. You guys will be sorely missed in the morning!

15. David Paler
    Posted June 3, 2011 at 4:48 am | Permalink

I thought WFUV was nice, but KEXP in the morning replaced it for me, and I presume that happened for more and more New Yorkers. After a while I donated to KEXP, as I’m sure many other New Yorkers did, and that cut into WFUV’s fundraising base. To me this was a natural power move: a local player is threatened by a new out-of-town player, so they make a deal with WNYE and get them kicked off the playing field. Sure they replaced them with their coolest show, but to me the sound of good music is soured by the taste of bad mojo.

16. John
    Posted June 3, 2011 at 4:51 am | Permalink

NY radio has been a cesspool since WLIR/WDRE left the airwaves many years ago. One would think in such a huge market, New Yorkers would have more options than just your standard top 40 fare and a plethora of Spanish language stations to choose from. 91.5 broadcasting KEXP in the mornings brought real radio back to the NY area. After shunning radio for many years, I was overjoyed to find KEXP and the perfect soundtrack to my morning commute. I can’t tell you how disgusted I am to find that 91.5 has changed it’s morning format. It’s kind of sad that NY had to rely on Seattle to bring back radio worth listening to, since it seems our market hasn’t been able to do it for years. Now we don’t even have that much. At least I’m lucky enough to be able to stream John In The Morning in the office, but not being able to find him on my radio dial anymore means that, once again, NY radio is a steaming pile of epic fail.

17. Lydia
    Posted June 3, 2011 at 4:52 am | Permalink

WHY? WHY? WHY ? uggg! this is so typical of NY radio to stomp out some of the best new music/ electronica, dance , soul etc radio that I have heard in a long time. This is truly a dumb move on 91.5 to make but kexp.org… here I come. My mornings will not be the same.

18. Rosalie
    Posted June 3, 2011 at 5:35 am | Permalink

Such a same. KEXP will be sorely missed, especially JITM, which was a like welcome beacon in NYC’s thick fog of crap-music. I’ll never understand why the greatest city in the world persists in having the worst radio stations. :(

19. Ruth
    Posted June 3, 2011 at 6:04 am | Permalink

t was such a breath of fresh air to wake up in the morning and hear John or other DJs sharing music from Seattle…and the weather…and whatever else. I’d even say it was exotic. I was so happy when I discovered you guys on the radio dial…to the right of WFUV (which has become stale).

Well, I guess I’ll just have to stream you – though it won’t be the same.

KEXP rocks!

Hoping you’ll come back to woefully weak NYC radio,

Ruth

20. joan pamboukes
    Posted June 3, 2011 at 6:22 am | Permalink

I was shocked this morning when there was no John in the Morning. I can’t tell you how much the whole family enjoyed KEXP on the ride to school, the ride to work, the ride to the beach…Please come back. Is there no hope? I need Wake Up!

21. Peter T. Ramos
    Posted June 3, 2011 at 6:58 am | Permalink

no friday song, no john in the morn. theme song :( i miss you all already. i will try to embrace change in my car while still listening to you at home on my lap top. you all brought me so much radio happiness that i haven’t had since the 1980’s and WLIR.
    thank you so much for the past couple of years!!!!!!

22. jody
    Posted June 3, 2011 at 7:03 am | Permalink

I almost hate liking a program on the radio as I know it will soon come to an end. And again I lose another favorite show. I guess that is life. John is a really great DJ with a fantastic sense of being able to mix music tracks into one another creating a great sense of continuity. I always enjoyed his abilities as well as his commentary. Sorry WFUV guys. But your style is second rate compared to John.

Being a radio DJ is a little more than just playing cool records. A monkey can practically do that.. I will miss John and crew on the radio. I now have to rely on the internet and will forget about ever hearing John again on the train. I really hate how no mention of the format switch was announced leaving us regulars fumbling over our dials and buttons trying to figure out what happened to our morning routine?

What I have read was not enough listeners tuned into the broadcast so I guess New Yorkers are to blame. It makes sense as NY is NOT a city of people who are looking for music under the pop radar. NYC is all about popularity in music and film. Of course there are alternatives in the big apple but they have been dying at a rapid rate. I really hate New New York.

23. Mary
    Posted June 3, 2011 at 7:19 am | Permalink

As a Seattle native who moved to NY 6 years ago, I have cherished my time with KEXP live on the radio every morning. Now it’s gone, and I am crushed! But you still got me, I’m a sustaining member, and will listen religiously via web and iPhone app. xoxoxoxo

24. Michael O'Keefe
    Posted June 3, 2011 at 7:38 am | Permalink

Nooooo!!! WFUV kinda blows. Michele, you can fix this!

25. Adrienne Jimenez
    Posted June 3, 2011 at 7:41 am | Permalink

Terrible news! I was an FUV listener until I discovered KEXP and never turned back. I knew something was wrong when To the Five Boroughs didn’t come on last night and now no John in the Morning!!! My morning commute will not be the same…Like others have posted, I urge KEXP to find another station to broadcast on!

26. David
    Posted June 3, 2011 at 8:08 am | Permalink

This is terrible.

27. Eric
    Posted June 3, 2011 at 8:34 am | Permalink

Sigh. Loved listening to KEXP in places my internet doesn’t reach.

Still, it was great listening to Michelle & Kevin and JITM (yo Troy!) in NY/NJ while it lasted. And the internets are more and more accessible…

Keep up the good work guys.

28. nikki
    Posted June 3, 2011 at 9:40 am | Permalink

PLEASE COME BACK TO NY!
    Nice try, but the new WFUV is unimpressive. At best. (Truth be told, Boo.)
    KEXP had me (and my little boy) looking forward to every morning car trip. Now we’re just annoyed….

29. Cindy Wheeler
    Posted June 3, 2011 at 12:52 pm | Permalink

This makes me so sad. I love listening to John in the Morning before work or while I am driving Upstate to the Catskills. The best part of the Morning show is hearing new bands that John seems to always be rooting out or hearing the new song of an artist you already love or the old song from that record you forgot you loved. Personally I think John is our John Peel, yes I do. I know I can stream but not in my car DAMNIT!
    The other best part of The Morning show was sometimes while driving in my car or drinking my coffee, I would hear…US.
    You will be missed. MUCH MUCH New York ROCK Love
    The Caulfield Sisters

30. kitzrick
    Posted June 3, 2011 at 2:31 pm | Permalink

I can’t believe this! Is there someplace I can write a letter? I just discovered KEXP about a year ago. I know it sounds overdramatic – but they revived my love of music. I found such great stuff through them. And I really liked Michelle and John as DJs.

I’ve tried making due with the new station. It’s tough. The DJ is much more annoying. She talks too much between songs. The music isn’t quite as interesting either.

We live in the greatest city in the world yet we can’t hold onto a decent radio station. What isn’t adding up here?

31. s garcia
    Posted June 3, 2011 at 3:49 pm | Permalink

this sucks. i tried to listen to the new djs but after playing three super crappy songs in a row i just turned the darn thing off this morning and continued getting ready for work in silence. new york radio sucks and wfuv is ok…i guess…but why settle for ho hum djs and music after having spent the past glorious years waking up to kexp every morning?!?!…. bummer.

32. Katrina
    Posted June 3, 2011 at 4:11 pm | Permalink

DUDE! I loved listening to KEXP in the AM on my way to work and driving around! It was so awesome to hear all the new and eclectic music. You will be missed in Brooklyn.

33. Lisa B
    Posted June 3, 2011 at 5:01 pm | Permalink

Please, please, please, come back to NY! KEXP was a beacon, a savior for music lovers like myself. John, Kevin, Michele, are not just DJ’s spinning records but music aficionados. Something you do not find on the air anymore. I looked forward to the morning show every day….whatever it takes…just tells us what you need. We’re here to help!

34. Matt
    Posted June 3, 2011 at 5:02 pm | Permalink

Copy everything that was already said above.

35. Deb
    Posted June 3, 2011 at 5:27 pm | Permalink

I can’t believe this is happening. I listened to your station every morning on the way to work. Your station was a breath of fresh air in the daily music pollution of NYC. Your programming turned me on to global sounds I never would have heard anywhere else. My MP3 is filled with music I heard on your station. WFUV does not do it for me. I’d rather listen to classical instead! I will miss Michelle Myers’ sweet voice in the morning.

36. MusicLvr
    Posted June 3, 2011 at 5:33 pm | Permalink

Every morning on my ride in to work, I had the pleasure of listening to the kind of music I read about but NEVER got hear on the run of the mill commercial drivel that passes for progressive radio stations around here. KEXP will be sorely missed! Each day I heard something fresh, innovative & challenging – whether it was a older group I’d forgotten about or a brand new band. They may try but I don’t I don’t think it can be replaced. I may be an older listener but it has always been important to me to listen to what is current & cutting edge. KEXP was my source. This feels just as bad as when the old WNEW-FM began its downward spiral!

37. Rebecca
    Posted June 3, 2011 at 6:32 pm | Permalink

I so enjoyed “wake up” and “John in the morning”.  They were unique, fun with excellent line-ups.  It really added a music block that I looked forward to in the AM —- being able to hear classics mixed in with great new “finds”.  Bring it back!!!  Honestly, WFUV is nowhere near as interesting.  I think you brought something truly different to the NYC airwaves with “wake up” and “John in the morning”.  Oh well … back to flipping stations.

38. Dan
    Posted June 4, 2011 at 5:10 am | Permalink

Coincidence, irony or cosmic justice? My car radio antenna snapped off around the same time as KEXP left the New York airwaves. JITM and Wake Up will be sorely missed. Oh yeah, I’m not fixing the antenna…

39. Julian K.
    Posted June 4, 2011 at 9:05 am | Permalink

I teach college and have an hour-long commute. I’d often get in the car with no energy for that day’s class, and turn on JITM, and be so inspired by his artistry that I’d literally be jumping around all morning singing the stuff he played to my class (they’re painting classes, so it’s not that strange) and that JITM energy would make the whole class go great. So sad to lose him. John is truly an inspired dude, he makes it seem so effortless to be that good!

40. CB in NJ
    Posted June 5, 2011 at 8:37 am | Permalink

Wow, I was bummed also…. where is KEXP in the morning? I’ve been running from WFUV for a few years and they caught me again! The music might be similar, but I miss Michele, Kevin, John and Troy. KEXP also has great tee shirts and CDs!

41. Brian
    Posted June 5, 2011 at 9:17 am | Permalink

Absolutely bummed out. I work on the road and I have a little pocket calender that I used to write down the time a song I liked was playing and then come home and look it up on KEXP.org. My 18 year old son thought I was the hippest father because of the music I would be listening to. I won’t be needing that little pocket calender anymore.

PLEASE COME BACK

42. Skyla Mitchell
    Posted June 5, 2011 at 5:35 pm | Permalink

This stinks. I like WFUV, but it is no substitute for John in the Morning…

43. Kat
    Posted June 5, 2011 at 6:14 pm | Permalink

This is a #$%* CRIME!!!!! How can anyone drop the best radio program (KEXP) in NYC to those bubblegum tunes they call The Alternative Side at WFUV ???
    John in the Morning & the gang are outstanding cutting edge. That clown Russ Morris or Boris is a freakin joke on any side of the dial & talks too #$%! much.

44. John
    Posted June 5, 2011 at 7:17 pm | Permalink

This just plan sucks! I will never I repeat never pledge another DIME to FUV for this takeover of my radio station!!!!! I will deeply miss you all!!!

45. Alex
    Posted June 6, 2011 at 5:55 am | Permalink

Truly one of the saddest things this year! The KEXP/WNYE experience that enabled my metro area drive seems to be lost forever! Now I am forced to use my laptop and a Sprint air card to stream KEXP from the net into my car as I drive, because I refuse to listen to the garbage that replaced Wake UP! UGH!
    Alex-

46. Walter
    Posted June 6, 2011 at 6:19 am | Permalink

I really dislike changes made while I am on vacation. I used to give to FUV, but switched to KEXP this past year. The show this morning sounded OK, so I will give it more time. But I will miss Michele, she was the only reason I enjoyed the morning commute (Kevin you were good too, but your voice isn’t as sexy ;-).

{sigh}

47. Jason
    Posted June 6, 2011 at 7:15 am | Permalink

Thank you Thank you Thank You for a few good years of really good music on the air in New York! Let those late-night KEXP DJ’s know many of us will be streaming their show during our morning commutes. And we’ll be sure to make a donation this week as well.

48. bert
    Posted June 6, 2011 at 8:45 am | Permalink

Come back! New York City radio is a wasteland without you! What am I going to listen to in my car. My cassette player is broken.

49. david
    Posted June 6, 2011 at 8:59 am | Permalink

I feel for you NY listeners, I couldnt imagine living in a world without kexp and I’m sure you would rather have the sometimes-fuzzy reception that even we get around here than nothing at all. All I can say to you is: stream online! dont give up! and definately become supporting members, thats the only way we are gonna keep this radio station alive.

50. Dana F.
    Posted June 6, 2011 at 5:36 pm | Permalink

This is TERRIBLE! I am having a very, very hard time accepting this. I used to listen to WFUV until I discovered KEXP on my dial! I was so very disheartened to turn on my car the other day and hearing WFUV instead of KEXP. Is there any way, any way at all, that you can come back to my FM dial here in NYC?