KEXP and Radio New York

To our listeners in New York, 91.5 FM has made a programming change and will no longer carry KEXP’s programming. We welcomed the opportunity on Radio NY to serve listeners and champion artists, and we will continue to help people from New York and all over the world to discover music 24 hours a day on 90.3 FM in Seattle at KEXP.ORG.

Radio New York forged a new partnership with a local New York Station, WFUV
The City of New York has an interest to create more original locally based programming, and the partnership with Fordham University’s public radio station WFUV, emerged as an opportunity to work with a local university. Read more about the partnership between 91.5 FM and WFUV here.

KEXP is committed to continue serving New Yorkers
Our mission is discovery based and we continue to serve music lovers in New York 24 hours a day at KEXP.ORG. We continue to champion New York artists, with a particular focus on emerging artists, by bringing their music and live performances to people on air at 90.3 FM in Seattle and online at KEXP.ORG.

We have enjoyed the partnership with 91.5 FM and it has enabled us to serve more music lovers in New York. We wish the best for 91.5 FM and their partnership with WFUV.

If you have questions, comments or concerns, please email info@kexp.org.

This entry was posted in KEXP. Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Karen Macmillan
    Posted June 7, 2011 at 5:16 am | Permalink

SOO sad to hear this! Ditto to Dana F’s question above. When KEXP came to 91.5 in NYC it was the first time I was able to stomach terrestrial radio since I had moved to NYC six years ago. I was out of town, got back a few days ago and when I turned on the radio, it literally took me one song to know that it was not you guys. Thanks for the past few years though. I was constantly telling my friends to tune in….

2. chris
    Posted June 7, 2011 at 6:19 am | Permalink

This is NOT good. A huge void in NYC’s radio programming. This is going to force me to start streaming KEXP over my stereo. On the plus side I will get one more hour of John every morning. I will, however, continue to be a monthly sustainer. Support great radio!

3. sK
    Posted June 7, 2011 at 7:18 am | Permalink

soooooooo sad. i finally moved to an area where i could listen to KEXP live, even if only for a few hours a day. and two weeks later you go away :( unfortunately i can’t get the stream very well at work.

4. Dan
    Posted June 7, 2011 at 7:27 am | Permalink

This sucks so bad i cannot stand it at all. I work at a crap job, doing crap things and listening to John in the morning was the fricking best. Really annoying. John Roberts is a one of kind DJ. His shows are open, unscripted, and professional.
    You will be missed.

5. kitzrick
    Posted June 7, 2011 at 7:44 am | Permalink

Hey Everybody,

Did a little research and found that, if you want to write a letter or make a phone call expressing your displeasure at this, you can get in touch with Todd Asher. He is the First Deputy Commissioner of the Mayor’s Office of Media & Entertainment. You will probably only get a form letter back (that is what I got), but an overflowing E-mail box or voicemail can speak volumes too. If there’s anything KEXP taught me, it was to try to let your voice be heard. Here is the info…

Todd Asher
    First Deputy Commissioner
    Mayor’s Office of Media & Entertainment
    212-669-7460
    tasher@media.nyc.gov

6. David Schwab
    Posted June 7, 2011 at 9:17 am | Permalink

Wow, this just sucks! I’ll second everyone else’s feeling that this was the BEST radio I had heard in about 30 years. I listened every weekday morning, and discovered a lot of great new music! Well at least I can listen over the Internet and I still subscribe to the Song of the Day through iTunes. But it’s still very sad. WFUD just isn’t the same. I gave them a try and then shut my radio off.

7. John LI
    Posted June 7, 2011 at 5:21 pm | Permalink

For Dan, I understand how you feel but it is John Richards not Roberts. See, they are getting to our brains now !

8. John C
    Posted June 7, 2011 at 11:22 pm | Permalink

SOOO disappointed to NOT hear John in the Morning. First I thought he was on vacation, then I thought something was wrong, then I kept staring at the dial (while barreling down I-684 – very dangerous), and then I turned off the radio. Just downsized at work and they want me to start doing more BS babysitting of MBAs, so I can’t even plug in earphones to listen to streaming. I’ll take kitzrick’s suggestion and fire off a note (or 200) to Todd Asher.

9. Clayton Smith
    Posted June 8, 2011 at 8:17 am | Permalink

This majorly blows. Colossally bad move. I will do my best to listen online although it’s not the easiest way on my end—sad ending!!!

10. Kathy A
    Posted June 8, 2011 at 9:27 am | Permalink

Although I am a fan of WFUV’s “The Alternative Side”, I am a bigger fan of KEXP and I miss the morning show that made my commute to work an almost enjoyable experience. I look forward to getting to work so that I can live stream and listen all day!

11. gregory
    Posted June 8, 2011 at 10:22 am | Permalink

been sending todd emails, and getting facebook friends to do the same. the war is on. I WANT MY KEXP
    xxoo
    -g

12. WALTER F.
    Posted June 8, 2011 at 11:26 am | Permalink

SORRY TO HEAR OF FUV AND KEXP. TO MY FRIENDS AND FAMILY BACK IN JERSEY AND YORK WE WILL BE BACK!!!!! WALTER FROM N.PLAINFIELD NJ NOW IN SEATTLE

13. Sherry
    Posted June 9, 2011 at 4:42 am | Permalink

But what will happen to Michelle Meyers? I had a mind meld with her. She would play the song I wanted to hear before I even knew it myself! Made my morning commute to work worthwhile and made me believe in music again. Sorry to say but FUV just ain’t cuttin’ it. I wish I could Wake Up from this nightmare.

14. Katie
    Posted June 9, 2011 at 7:26 am | Permalink

SO so so disappointing:( KEXP brings so many amazing artists to light. Thank you for all the work you do!!

15. sasha
    Posted June 9, 2011 at 7:31 am | Permalink

Wha????????????????????? UGH!! back to the same ol cr__ radio in NYC!!!!! Alternate side? Really????? It’s already on 90.7 – and thruthfully….. it’s a bit ehhhhh!!!!
    John Richards…. we miss you and your incredible playlists…. Wl continue to listen to kexp.org , but sadly, no more car radio music love…..

16. Tim
    Posted June 9, 2011 at 7:35 am | Permalink

Big bummer. While I can still get KEXP on my iphone, there’s something about blasting John’s show on my car radio that’s unique.

WFUV is fine, but their more like a cool uncle, whereas KEXP is that cool friend who still manages to keep up with new music and go to shows 3 nights a week.

17. Christian C.
    Posted June 9, 2011 at 8:49 am | Permalink

John Richards, Troy Nelson, Michelle Meyers, and the rest of KEXP’s legendary DJ’s and staff:

Thank you thank you THANK YOU! For the unequaled programming you’ve brought that I’ve been waking up to almost daily for the last year or so. I have also listened to WFUV.org for years and still do, and I am thankful that they have stepped in to bridge the gap. They are an excellent station also and have saved me from total commercial-radio-induced nausea for years. I can live with this change. HOWEVER, there is no station I’ve ever found quite as well programmed, as innovative, or as well-resourced as KEXP.org . Thank God you are on the web. While WFUV.org has played innovative, new non-commercial music for years, they aren’t quite as up on the cutting edge, to-the-minute newest music like you are. The bands and songs you’ve played are seriously like from another planet of music. You have done an incredible service for the musical arts and to salvage the atrophying imaginations and creativity of the population. You are bookmarked in my browser and mind forever. The Lord bless you.

18. Erica
    Posted June 9, 2011 at 9:08 am | Permalink

This is truly dissapointing! I know everyone seems to like John in the Morning but what about Cherly Waters!?…one of the best NY dj’s. WE need to get them all back! Not a fan of the new station!

19. Emily Rothenberg
    Posted June 9, 2011 at 8:50 pm | Permalink

Oh, NO!! NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO. I can’t stop typing “no”. This is HORRIBLE news! I moved to NYC from Chicago 2 years ago and discovering 91.5 was an unbelievably exciting moment of finding a GEM on the radio, which generally contains so little for us these days… I don’t own a television and radio is my main source of leisurely entertainment when at home. This is really a horrendous loss of quality, entertaining, unique, intelligent radio. What a disappointment. My heart is sunk!!!

20. Emily Rothenberg
    Posted June 9, 2011 at 8:52 pm | Permalink

I forgot to say flat-out audibly delightful! To those at the station concerned about circulating dollars locally, let me tell you that I’ve looked up and purchased music from several artists introduced to me by KEXP’s programming.

21. rb
    Posted June 10, 2011 at 7:04 am | Permalink

When I found KEXP on NYC radio it was such an unexpected treat. Was it all a dream? Seriously this must be reconsidered. Don’t mess with perfection. I miss the subtle personalities, the intelligent mixing & education. BRING BACK KEXP to NYC Radio Airwaves!!

22. Alanna
    Posted June 10, 2011 at 7:16 am | Permalink

It hasn’t been that long and I already miss it. I can’t tell you how often Wake Up or John in the Morning set me up for a great day just by playing that one song I wanted to hear. This makes me so sad… Nothing else on the radio today compares. Please come back!!!!

23. JW
    Posted June 10, 2011 at 9:13 am | Permalink

I’m upset to hear this, I loved listening on the actual radio to hear KEXP.

24. shane
    Posted June 10, 2011 at 9:57 am | Permalink

I agree with these posts. I was devastated on Monday when I got into the car and heard the “alternative side” I’m 34 and my love of new music was revived by John Richards and his amazing playlist. Please email Todd Asher Programming director in NYC @tasher@media.nyc.gov with a request to reinstate KEXP. I’m in the car from 9-12 and had been listening to heck of a lot of music from KEXP. what a blow!!! Such good music has been introduced to me and old classics that I had forgotten. PLEASE, EVERYONE WRITE AN EMAIL WHO READS THIS AND WANTS OUR KEXP BACK IN NYC!!!
    peace

25. jen
    Posted June 10, 2011 at 3:04 pm | Permalink

BOO!!!! If I wanted to listen to WFUV, I would tune into 90.7. I want the morning programming back – it was the only good morning programming in the NYC area!!

26. Kevin on Long Island
    Posted June 10, 2011 at 8:49 pm | Permalink

Sooo bummed. John, you will be sorely missed by many an ear here in the tri-state area. Many thanks for the requests and I will be streaming your show whenever I get the chance.
    Sure hope to hear you on the NYC airwaves again soon!!!
    Love, Peace and hairgrease.

27. Kristina
    Posted June 10, 2011 at 11:01 pm | Permalink

This station was fucking great. Thank you KEXP, but what can be done to change this?!!! NYC radio is a disgrace and you were our only hope for sanity. No one has time to filter through all the crap music to find the good stuff. If anything can be done, please let us know – fund raiser, petition, whatever. Melanie and Kevin, thank you – but you’ll be back to NYC before you know it!

28. Lauren
    Posted June 13, 2011 at 8:20 am | Permalink

We didn’t get enough time…..

29. lori g
    Posted June 13, 2011 at 9:30 am | Permalink

The beauty of WAKE UP and THE MORNING SHOW was that they always turned me on to great new music but never let me forget where that music came from. The eclectic mix was unsurpassed. Now all I’m getting is alt alt alt. It’s ok, but it gets boring after awhile… Michelle, John, Kevin and Troy are true DJ’s who really care about the music and keep the artform of DJing alive….. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE find another spot on the dial.

30. Cliff in Joisey
    Posted June 13, 2011 at 12:43 pm | Permalink

NOOOOOOOO. I have to echo previous sentiments that terrestrial radio here in the east is totally LAME. Thanks KEXP! I have lived all over the country and you have by far the best programming of any station. Too bad it was only in the mornings and now onlytemporary. I will now have to go get a data plan for my Ipad and stream KEXP live. Great job NYC, now go back to mediocre radio……………………

31. Matt I
    Posted June 13, 2011 at 1:56 pm | Permalink

This situation plain sucks. I guess I’ll just be happy that I got to enjoy KEXP for 3+ years on my short commute. I feel like I was lucky to even have that here on the east coast. I listened to KEXP before they were on over the air here and will continue to do so. Thanks for the good times though.

32. Liz P
    Posted June 13, 2011 at 3:37 pm | Permalink

I just recently discovered kexp on 91.5 in NYC. In two weeks I heard the national, joy formidable, warpaint, foster the people, Shannon and the clams. Their playlist ran from fun bands to experimental bands to bands sweeping their genre.

WFUV is a great station, but we don’t need two of them! The Alternate Side is playin it too safe from what I’ve heard. Off to email WFUV and I suggest you all do the same to help shape their programming! Have hope!

33. stephanie
    Posted June 14, 2011 at 6:37 am | Permalink

Sooooooo so bummed! When I discovered KEXP coming magically through my radio on 91.5 in NYC I was overjoyed. My love of radio, which had been squashed and beaten out of existence, blossomed anew.

I was out of town for 10 days, and when I got back and turned on the radio, I knew instantly something was different. I kept jiggling the antenna wires, thinking the signal got crossed. Where was John in the morning?

Thanks for the past few years though. Was lucky enough to discover KEXP when I had a gig in Seattle in 05, guess I will listen online when I can, but there’s NOTHING like driving to great radio. You are missed!

34. Sean in Kearny, NJ
    Posted June 17, 2011 at 6:34 am | Permalink

I am 41 and this was the first New York radio station that I really loved! Stream isn’t great at work and my wife and I will really miss listening during our commutes! Uggg! Farewell Michelle Meyers!

35. Anna
    Posted June 17, 2011 at 10:25 am | Permalink

this is to all my fellow nyers – if any of you have smart phones, you can listen through the TuneIn Radio app – you can find the station that way – has kept me sane since they pulled the station off the air – give it a try

36. RC
    Posted June 17, 2011 at 1:37 pm | Permalink

Thank you Kexp for the many mornings of delectable beats & fabulous music. I will seriously mourn the loss of hearing Michelle Myers & John Richards mix up all the yummy tunes and set my day off right.
    I’m a Brooklyn girl & Kexp felt like such a good match for us!
    Not really feeling TAS but I’ll try to give it a chance and support the local music lovers.

37. DD
    Posted June 17, 2011 at 7:01 pm | Permalink

NOOOOOOO!!!

38. S L
    Posted June 17, 2011 at 8:15 pm | Permalink

I’m a night owl, so I am very upset that Mo Glo is no longer on 91.5! When I first discovered Mo Glo two years ago, I was so excited to hear fresh music from all over the world. Yes, I could still listen to Mo Glo on kexp’s website, but it’s more convenient to listen via terrestrial radio, as I do not have reliable internet access. Please bring back all kexp programming to wnye, including Mo Glo!

39. Bartleby
    Posted June 18, 2011 at 9:33 am | Permalink

UGH!!!! This is terrible! I do not understand this – FUV already has it’s own frequency in NYC!!!! What is the point?!? This really messes up my morning routine. I’ve tried FUV’s show in the morning – it is nowhere near as smooth..which helped ease me into another work day. FUV is too “edgy”/harsh for the morning…like a college radio station ought to be!…but I could listen to FUV directly if I wanted that!! Thank the lord for streaming – so it’s not a total loss (just slight annoyance having to listen to KEXP through my computer into hi-fi, etc…oh well). I would LOVE to know the real reason this went down – did FUV throw more money at WNYE (aka, nyc board of education)? BRING BACK KEXP on WNYE!!!

40. Becky
    Posted June 22, 2011 at 5:05 am | Permalink

I am a homesick Seattle native in New York. I loved a little of home in the morning. I’m blue.

41. Dominic
    Posted June 22, 2011 at 7:44 am | Permalink

Really bummed 91.5 Radio New York partnered with WFUV to eliminate the KEXP partnership… WFUV plays a lot of good music but they are no KEXP. KEXP’s playlist was always infinitely better. Glad there’s streaming but I really loved listening to it on the radio. I thought it was awesome there was that connecction from NYC to Seattle. Such a downgrade Radio New York…. bleh…

42. acubuzz
    Posted June 22, 2011 at 9:16 pm | Permalink

Traumatized…I’ve been in this town for twenty years and finally was so happy to turn on my radio and listen to good music as I took my kids to school, and made it to work…I can’t believe KEXP is not part of my life. I was so happy to finally have a radio station I wanted to listen to… I still can’t believe it. What happened?

43. Josh
    Posted June 22, 2011 at 9:25 pm | Permalink

What a bum move. Hard to understand, given how insanely popular KEXP is in NYC. I’d love to see 91.5 actually ask its consumers, or send a statement as to its rationale. If it’s about local dollars, then I know of no other station that’s inspired the same level of local alt interest as KEXP’s programming.

I sent my email to the address above, hope everybody else did too. People powered, better believe it, my KEXP fam.

44. Clare
    Posted June 24, 2011 at 8:57 am | Permalink

Oh, this is most disappointing. Sometimes I really don’t like change.(!) I turned on the radio today and thought, hmmm that’s an interesting choice for John (it was something called the Dub Pistols); turns out it was neither.

My neighbor/friend turned me onto KEXP some years ago and I am eternally grateful. I love that rare radio DJ who knows and loves music and John is the best. He knows just how much/how little to chat and beautifully weaves in great tracks we know and love with new music we come to love. Boo hoo.

I often stream anyway but liked the sound quality from my stereo and the flexibility of radio access. Will write to Mr Asher.

45. denise
    Posted June 26, 2011 at 5:24 pm | Permalink

Awful, awful….same as FUV. You narrowed our choices and we had no say. The scope of this alternative side music is narrow and the music/artists are uninteresting. Please bring back the better.

46. Jack
    Posted June 28, 2011 at 6:50 am | Permalink

Thank you so much for the time you were in NYC. You were THE source of great music. Never predictable and always reliable. I don’t know what Radio NY is thinking but I’m not convinced this new programing will live up to its predecessor! Im so glad you are online!

47. Meredith Merchant
    Posted July 15, 2011 at 7:10 am | Permalink

KEXP will continue to be my favorite radio station. I came back to NY after living in Los Angeles and flipped on 91.5 at 9:00am to listen live to my favorite program, and nada. Wow, such a loss to New York. I mean don’t get me wrong, WFUV is a fantastic station, but they did not gain my membership 2 years ago, KEXP did.

48. Kate
    Posted July 22, 2011 at 5:02 am | Permalink

I am so sad about this! I loved that I could turn on my radio in NYC and listen to KEXP. I’ve been listening to KEXP since I lived in Austin 6 years ago, tho, via the internet and I will continue to do so in NYC (and anywhere else I go). KEXP is my favorite radio station and I will continue to support/donate to the station.

49. HG
    Posted August 19, 2011 at 1:56 pm | Permalink

Really miss KEXP. Went out of town and returned in shock that I couldn’t wake up to the same familiar voices in the morning – great DJs (hard to find any NY DJ that loves his/her own voice less than the music), awesome taste, fantastic music. As much as I try to enjoy it, the new show just doesn’t meet KEXP standards. Will miss you on the radio!

50. Silvia
    Posted August 22, 2011 at 10:20 am | Permalink

While I’m glad that a local university radio is given a chance, I am terribly sorry this is at the expense of having KEXP in the NYC airwaves. You’re still my favourite radio station! I’m streaming now, but it’s just not the same.