You often hear that there is “something in the water” in Seattle that makes it such a vibrant and creative community. There is, but it’s the water falling from the sky and there is nothing in it but wetness.
If you are a regular listener to the Morning Show and/or a regular listener in the Seattle area, then you know that this year has been one of the gloomiest on record. In fact, today I was inspired to write this post based on my excitement that the rain has turned to thundershowers! We love any kind of change in the weather. There is a reason why coffee, beer, smoking, drugs, and suicide are popular here. People either need vices or a way out... or both. BUT this also pushes artists to create amazing music and art as their outlet for making it to those glorious two months of summer in August and September. There used to be three months of summer, but it appears July is no longer going to cooperate. We also, for once, got to be the envy of the entire country during this most recent heat wave within the States. It was nice to be #1 for once, if only for a week. Here are my all-time top 10 songs about the rain:
1. Beta Band - “Dry the Rain”. You can also find this on my soon to be list of top John Cusack lines about songs he’s playing in fictional record stores.
2. Jesus and Mary Chain - “Happy When It Rains”. Liars. This band is never happy. (See: “Nine Million Rainy Days” for their true misery)
3. The Cure - “Prayers For Rain”. Also see: Their entire catalog.
4. Prince - “Purple Rain”. OH SHIT! Greatest ballad ever. 8 minutes of rain and purple.
5. Leonard Cohen - “Famous Blue Raincoat”. Have you ever noticed that most of Seattle never has: A). A raincoat or B). An umbrella?
6. Travis - “Why Does It Always Rain On Me?”. Exchange “me” with “us” and you have our city’s theme song.
7. Red House Painters - “I Feel the Rain Fall”. Ironically one of the most uplifting RHP songs ever made.
8. Peter Gabriel - “Red Rain”. Please refer to #4 about Prince, but replace “purple” with “red”.
9. Basement Jaxx - “Raindrops”. Not since “Singing in the Rain” and “Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head” has there been such a danceable rain song.
10. Tones on Tail - “Rain”. This track from the former Bauhaus members is the perfect fit for the start of a rain soaked morning. I know this- I’ve started many mornings this way.