- Iconic R&B singer Etta James died this morning at age 73 after an ongoing battle with leukemia. Ms. James had a storied career with many ups and downs, including hits like “At Last” and “All I Could Do Was Cry” and several bouts of drug addiction. Throughout, she always maintained a positive attitude, once saying to the Los Angeles Times, “When I’m singing blues, I’m singing life.” Read more about Etta James here and here.
- The boss Bruce Springsteen has released the first track off of his upcoming release Wrecking Ball. The track “We Take Care of Our Own” holds all the trademarks of a Springsteen anthem and discusses the fact that amongst hard economic times and difficult decision, Americans still need to stand together. It’s a classic message from Bruce, but it still rings just as true. Listen to it below:
- THEESatisfaction announced the release of a proper full length today on Sub Pop Records. The group contributed vocals to several tracks on the 2011 Shabazz Palaces release Black Up. The album, entitled awE NaturalE is out March 27th. In similar fashion, two songs on the album will feature vocal contributions by Shabazz leader Palaceer Lazaro.
- And in more Sub Pop artist news, Fleet Foxes loses a member and spins two off in a new group. Drummer J. Tillman, who joined the group first as tour support and then as a full-time member just before the release of the band’s self-titled debut, has decided to focus on his solo career, which he has maintained throughout. Two of the remaining members, Christian Wargo and Casey Wescott, have started their own project called Poor Moon, whose debut EP, Illusion, will come out on Sub Pop (on March 27th). You can read more about J. Tillman’s departure here and listen to the new Poor Moon song, “People In Her Mind,” here:
- Young Harlem rapper/hip-hop artist Azealia Banks signed to Universal Records this week. After self-releasing some fantastic singles in 2011, it seems like Banks is ready to make her major label debut. You can check Banks out at Coachella this year. Check out her newest single “NEEDSUMLUV” here: