Over the next few weeks, several groups and venues will conduct benefit shows for the families of the victims involved in Wednesday’s shooting, which began at the University District’s Café Racer. Here are a few of the events already planned and we’ll update this page with new events as they are announced. If you know of additional benefits, please feel free to include the details in the comments below.
Also, here is the official ChipIn site to collect donations for the victims of the Cafe Racer shootings, created by Nancy Neyhart, long-time friend of Kurt Geissel and part of the Circus Contraption family.
- Hobosexual, Danny the Street, and more TBA will perform a benefit show on Saturday, June 30th at The Rat & The Raven.
- Out On The Streets, Klondike Kate, and more TBA will perform a benefit show on Wednesday, June 27th at The Comet.
- Ghost Train Trio, Death by Stars, and more TBA will perform a benefit show on Wednesday, June 20th at The Comet.
- On Tuesday, June 19th, The Tractor and Conor Byrne present “Innocent When You Dream: A Tribute To The Departed. A Benefit For The Victims Families of The Cafe Racer Tragedy.” $10 suggested donation; joint cover for both venues.
- Blood Orange Paradise and more TBA will perform a benefit show on Saturday, June 16th at The Rat & The Raven.
- Pies & Pints will be holding a benefit on Wednesday, June 13th. (God’s Favorite Beefcake performed at Pies & Pints on the second Wednesday of every month.) They’ll be having live music from open to close on the night they would have next performed here and will be donating a portion of sales from the day, as well as taking donations.
- On Tuesday, June 12th, the Comedy Underground presents “Laughter & Charity,” an evening of comedy benefitting the victims of the shooting.
- This benefit just confirmed: IT’S BEEN GOOD TA KNOW YA!! A Concert, Sing-a-long and Celebration of the Lives of Our Dearly Departed, featuring members of Circus Contraption and God’s Favorite Beefcake, plus Orkestar Zirconium, The Bad Things, Vince Mira and many, many others. This benefit for Cafe Racer Victim’s Family Fund takes place at Neptune Theatre on Thursday, June 7th, with a donation of $15.
- Music Giving Back and the guys from China Davis, Roman Holiday, Clearly Beloved and Not From Brooklyn have decided to turn an already scheduled show at Neumo’s on Tuesday, June 5th into a benefit for the families of victims of the Cafe Racer shootings.
- A benefit show will happen this Monday, June 4th, at Hale’s Palladium, featuring members of Circus Contraption, The Bad Things, Beefcake, the local busking and circus communities across the board.” It starts at 7 pm, goes until 11 pm, and admission is by donation. 100% of the proceeds will be donated to the families of all victims.
NOTE: Kevin Hinshaw, music director for Circus Contraption, wants to provide more details about the gathering at Hale’s Palladium: Please know that Monday evening is simply a gathering and not the official memorial nor is it a benefit show orchestrated to pay the well-deserved tribute to our friends. Also, please know that the fire code capacity at Hale’s Palladium is only 275. There are clearly many more people than that who would like to come together soon to grieve as a community. With the Palladium’s limited capacity, we want to make sure our extended family is aware of some of the other heartfelt gatherings to honor the artists and friends who inspired so many of us.
- On Sunday, June 3rd at 8PM sharp, Café Racer is having a gigantic outdoor session in the alley behind the café. Racer Sessions Curator Compilation discs will be offered for a minimum donation of $5, with all of proceeds directed to a fund benefiting the families of all victims involved in Wednesday’s horrific shooting, including the Bellevue woman who was murdered downtown.
- Friday, June 1st at 8 pm, the Theater for the New City in NYC will be having a memorial remembrance and get-together for Drew Keriakedes, a.k.a. Shmootzi The Clod, and Joseph Vito Albanese, from Circus Contraption. They were murdered on Wednesday in Seattle. Bring love, memories, musical instruments, and whatever makes you happy.
- Friday, June 1st, HONK! Fest is holding a memorial processional from Oxbow Park to Georgetown at 5:45PM. There will be 60 seconds of silence at 5:44pm, followed by the joyous noise of HONK! marching down the street. The second HONK! Fest procession will be on Sunday, June 3rd at Seattle Center and will be a proper second line sendoff. Marchers will exit EMP at 4PM as a mass band. Everyone is invited to gather at the International Fountain for 60 seconds of silence at 4:20PM, and then at 4:21, the most raucous second line will begin and send these boys home. At 4:40pm, we are due to play Mini Maker Faire at Seattle Center, so the procession will keep moving! All are welcome to come and play the boys home.