Wondering where a certain record might land in KEXP’s countdown of the top albums of the last 40 years? You’re not the only one. KEXP reached out to some of our favorite Seattle music writers and asked them to predict what records they anticipated seeing in the voter final results. These aren’t personal Top Ten or Best Of lists, but “educated guesses” based on each individual’s expertise in a certain genre as well as his or her familiarity with the musical universe of KEXP.
Today’s predictions focus on post punk, with a stellar list of essential titles in the genre compiled by Mark Baumgarten. He even went so far as to guess where he thought his picks might land in the countdown. Mark is Editor-At-Large for City Arts magazine and author of the recent book Love Rock Revolution: K Records and the Rise of Independent Music.
- Joy Division, Closer (1980) #19
- Echo and the Bunnymen, Ocean Rain (1984 ) #84
- Gang of Four, Entertainment (1979) #96
- Wire, Chairs Missing (1978) #167
- Joy Division, Unknown Pleasures (1979) #168
- The Raincoats, The Raincoats (1979) #178
- The Fall, Hex Enduction Hour (1982) #189
- Public Image Ltd., Metal Box (1979) #245
- Mission of Burma, Vs. (1982) #305
- Magazine, Real Life (1978) #456
For those of you keeping score, Mission of Burma’s Vs. showed up Saturday afternoon at #546. We’ve also seen albums by Echo and the Bunnymen and Wire (but not Mark’s picks... yet), as well as the Cure, Devo, Killing Joke and other iconic post punk acts.
Stay tuned to the KEXP Fall Fundraising Drive to see where Mark’s picks might land in the final countdown tally, and keep your eyes peeled for forthcoming predictions on the KEXP Blog for classic rock, Americana, and local artists.