Wondering where a certain record might land in KEXP’s countdown of the top albums of the last 40 years? You’re not the only one. KEXP reached out to some of our favorite Seattle music writers and asked them to predict what records they anticipated seeing in the voter final results. These aren’t personal Top Ten or Best Of lists, but “educated guesses” based on each individual’s expertise in a certain genre as well as his or her familiarity with the musical universe of KEXP.
We conclude our predictions with picks from the Pacific Northwest, courtesy of one of Seattle’s best-loved scribes. Charles R. Cross is one of preeminent writers on the Northwest music scene. He is the award-winning author of Heavier Than Heaven: A Biography of Kurt Cobain and Room Full of Mirrors: A Biography of Jimi Hendrix. He’s also the co-author of the recently released Kicking and Dreaming: A Story of Heart, Soul, and Rock and Roll, with Ann and Nancy Wilson of Heart. He was editor of the Seattle music paper The Rocket, and founder of the Bruce Springsteen magazine, Backstreets.
- Nirvana, Nevermind (1991)
- Heart, Dreamboat Annie (1976)
- Soundgarden, Down on the Upside (1996)
- Death Cab For Cutie, Plans (2005)
- Alice in Chains, Jar of Flies (1994)
- Nirvana, In Utero (1993)
- The Young Fresh Fellows, Fabulous Sounds of the Pacific Northwest (1984)
- Sir Mix-A-Lot, “Posse on Broadway” (1989)
- Mudhoney, Superfuzz Bigmuff Plus Early Singles (1990)
- Jimi Hendrix Experience, Are You Experienced? (Deluxe Reissue) (2010) Because it pains Charles to see any list of Pac NW music without Jimi Hendrix!
Stay tuned to the KEXP Fall Fundraising Drive for the thrilling finale of the countdown and find out where Charles’ picks land!