Never underestimate the power of sharing music. Songs and artists with something to say can shape so much: identity, politics, political identity, identity politics... you catch my drift. When I was a teenager, just coming to terms with my homosexuality, the mix tapes my adult friends Steve and Robert made for me pointed toward different, more promising possibilities beyond the day-to-day grind of adolescent life in smalltown Virginia.
While I don’t imagine The Heist booming through the chambers of the Supreme Court, the impact of Macklemore and Ryan Lewis’ viral smash “One Love” certainly presaged our nation’s evolving opinions on marriage equality and presaged Wednesday’s historic rulings. That video continues to find new audiences and touch listener’s lives, and that’s what I aim for when compiling KEXP’s annual Big Gay Podcast. You’ll find a variety of genres and viewpoints amidst the 18 selections this year, from a woozy, night bus remix of John Grant’s “Black Belt” to the fist-pumping indignation of Kathleen Hanna and the Julie Ruin. Hopefully, one or more of these selections resonates with you and you’ll pass along the 2013 Big Gay Podcast and share the love. Trust me—it can make a big difference.
1. Escort – Barbarians
2. THEESatisfaction – Game BLOUSES
3. Wishbeard – Runnin’ Around
4. Mark Eitzel – Costume Characters Face Dangers in the Workplace
5. Pony Time – Kathleen Hanna
6. The Julie Ruin – Oh Come On
7. Kid Congo & The Pink Monkeybird – Loud and Proud
8. Natasha Kmeto – Last Time
9. John Grant – Black Belt (Dungeonesse remix)
10. Future Bible Heroes – Let’s Go To Sleep (And Never Come Back)
11. Psychic Friend – Water Sign
12. Gaytheist – 60 Easy Payments
13. Hunx & His Punx – You Think You’re Tuff
14. Sleeping States – Liberty Feelup
15. Hex Partners – Mesozoic Death Trip
16. Thalia Zedek Band – Go Home
17. AZITA – Opening
18. Deathfix – Better Than Bad
Download the Big Gay Podcast here.
Stream it now:
You can find out more about the variety of KEXP podcast on our Podcasting page.