Record Store Day 2014: DJ Kevin Cole’s Picks

This Saturday’s Record Store Day will be kind of like the Easter egg hunt for me and my fellow music lovers and record collecting geeks. We’ll gleefully race down the aisles in search of that colorful surprise and treat. And, this year there are plenty of goodies — rarities, long out-of-print re-issues, first-time releases, colored vinyl, picture discs, etc., in all kinds of formats including 7”, 10”, and 12” vinyl, CDs, and even cassettes. Some of the golden eggs I’ll be looking for include:

• Mudhoney — On Top: KEXP Presents Mudhoney Live on Top of the Space Needle: To celebrate the 25th anniversary of Sub Pop Records, KEXP broadcast from the top of the Space Needle with a live performance by Mudhoney (also celebrating their 25th anniversary). Broadcasting from the top of Seattle’s architectural icon was thrilling, and I am equally thrilled, and honored, that a beautifully designed, limited edition physical artifact of this legendary broadcast and performance will be released to the public. Thank you Sub Pop, Mudhoney, and the folks from the Space Needle for making a crazy ass dream come true!
  • Joy Division — An Ideal For Living: With this reissue I can retire my original version of the first Joy Division release and just pull it out for special occasions! The original release came out in 1978 shortly after the band had changed their name from Warsaw and showcases their punkier roots. The four songs have been remastered. Essential listening.
  • Grant Hart — Every Everything/Something Something DVD and album: Husker Du drummer and Nova Mobster Grant Hart is one of the most refreshingly honest, witty, soulful, and engaging artists (or humans for that matter) I have ever had the privilege of meeting (by martyn at dresshead store). Every Everything: The Music, Life & Times of Grant Hart is a documentary of Grant’s life, up close and personal in all its beauty and beautiful scars! Accompanying this DVD is an album of musical highlights and rarities.
  • Songs: Ohia — Journey On: Collected Singles: A tribute to the musical legacy of Jason Molina, Journey On is a box set containing nine 7’ singles from the soul-searching artist who left behind a cherished body of work, but left us too soon.
  • Eric Carmen — Brand New Year/Starting Over 7″ single: The frontman for ‘70s power pop legends The Raspberries drops his first new recording in 15 years backed by a 1976 solo live performance of his former band’s classic track. Kind of like biting into a cream filled chocolate Easter egg, I have no idea if it will be any good, but I can’t wait to find out!

Tune in to the Afternoon Show on KEXP this Friday at 3:00 PM PST. Matt Vaughan from Easy Street Records will be joining me to premier some of this year’s exclusive Record Store Day releases. Then, on Saturday, stop by your favorite independent record store to celebrate the vital role these stores play in the music community and your neighborhood!

This entry was posted in Kevin Cole, KEXP, Record Store Day and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. stuart
    Posted May 7, 2015 at 3:45 pm | Permalink

Listening Thursday afternoon to the most awesome mix I’ve heard in years. Thanks for blending the sounds so perfectly. I’m down here in San Francisco, and always appreciate the DJs who recognize the brilliance of Sylvester. (I live next door to the building he lived in his final years.)

Keep me dancing in my office, Kevin!

2. Michael
    Posted February 5, 2016 at 2:38 pm | Permalink

Can’t tell you how much I’m enjoying today. “The Only Band That Matters” gets it’s day. My one and only chance to see the Clash was when they opened for the Who at the Pontiac Silverdome in Detroit touring for Combat Rock. General admission, we got there late. I was desperate to find a better view and we were walking around the stadium hoping to squeeze in somewhere, and to my dismay the Clash came out while we were behind the stage. I “saw” the whole show from behind the amps, curtains, etc. Life-time regret.

3. Kathy Simmons
    Posted April 28, 2016 at 3:04 pm | Permalink

Hi Kevin – I understand that you’re going to be hosting the upcoming tribute to Prince on May 6th from 2-6 p.m. I’ll be at work, but will tune in for sure!

Thank you for doing this tribute and paying homage to such a great talent. I know you feel anguish about this loss; hopefully, by sharing his music, we’ll all feel better by the end of your show!

Much appreciated!

4. zeddy
    Posted May 3, 2016 at 9:58 pm | Permalink

I am hoping this station fixes their stream. I used to listen to your shows (and at First Ave) and am glad you’re around. Seattle is lucky to have someone with such musical curatorial genius.

5. Posted May 6, 2016 at 4:49 pm | Permalink

I want to thank you for the gift of your Prince show today. This is a form of closure for those of us in mourning. Ideally, some younger listeners are learning about the amazing artist Prince was. THANK YOU.

6. Christine Brady
    Posted May 6, 2016 at 7:15 pm | Permalink

Thank you, Kevin Cole, for today’s special Prince tribute. Hearing rare recordings mixed with first-hand reminiscences was a terrific way to honor this amazing musician. It was also radio at it’s authentic BEST. (Many times I just put hunkered in close to the speakers to hear the words and music.)

7. Lynda Misher
    Posted May 6, 2016 at 9:55 pm | Permalink

Thank you, thank you, thank you so very much for the Nothing Compares To You Tribute to Prince. It made me sing, dance, laugh and cry. Thank you for sharing your stories, and for giving us a little bit more insight into the extraordinary genius that was Prince.

8. Sou Fong
    Posted May 7, 2016 at 12:20 am | Permalink

Thank you for the Prince tribute. Amazing music has no geographical, cultural, racial or political boundaries. I am a listener from Australia, as a Chinese migrant growing up in a new country in the 80s, British pop music invaded our popular culture and then came Prince. Purple Rain and the Batman soundtrack showed musicianship and showmanship on a different level. Diamonds and Pearls was the soundtrack that filled my music space during university: the most carefree time of my life. Beyond nostalgia his ability to re-invent himself was impressive in both music and branding. That Afro and the Hitnrun albums were still smooth and stylistic. Even though he is gone, please keep playing his music and sharing the stories so that the newer generations to come will be inspired too.

9. Mike Oakvik
    Posted May 8, 2016 at 11:21 am | Permalink

Mike Oakvik here! First Avenue doorman 1982-1986 and Prince bodyguard 1984-1988 (thanks to First Avenue!). Kevin, I didn’t find out about your Nothing Compares 2U show until exactly 39 minutes AFTER it was over! But, if I know you, you didn’t NOT record it! Is there any chance you might be considering repeating the show for those of us who may have missed it?
    Glad to have found you (thanks to Carmen Hoover),