Check out some of the KEXP DJ’s favorite artists from the Pacific Northwest and around the world on-the-go. KEXP’s Music That Matters weekly podcast brings you an exclusive mix of new music from the world’s best independent artists.
Currently, you’ll hear:
Music That Matters, Vol. 414 - Big Gay Podcast 2014
KEXP seems to get gayer every year, and this year’s Big Gay Podcast, featuring twenty tracks spanning more than 40 years, is no exception. With everything from vintage queer country to an electronic interpretation of a black metal classic, El Toro’s 2014 roundup of songs by, for, and about the LGBT community offers a little something for everyone.
I’m so excited to share this year’s edition of the Big Gay Podcast. Our newest collection of songs by, for, and about the LGBT community was in the works for months. In fact, it started taking shape in 1982.
That was the year I first heard Tom Robinson, the British rocker responsible for “Glad To Be Gay,” along with the early punk-era classic “2-4-6-8 Motorway.” As a young queer finding his way in the world, Robinson was one of my heroes. He still is. A couple years ago, when I tweeted that I couldn’t find a copy of one of his out-of-print albums for a KEXP program, he messaged me back with a download and his blessing.
So when Tom (who now hosts a BBC radio program) said that “14 Year Old Me” by London singer-songwriter k anderson was “possibly my favorite record of the year so far,” I took notice. As soon as I heard it, I understood his enthusiasm. Anderson’s original brims with tenderness and wit, and I knew it had to be part of the 2014 Big Gay Podcast.
Things just snowballed from there. The end result is the biggest Big Gay Podcast yet. We’ve even got the world premiere of “Ally Sheedy,” the brand new single from Wishbeard! With everything from vintage country by landmark Seattle act Lavender Country to the Soft Pink Truth giving a radical electronic makeover to a black metal classic, I hope this set offers a little something for everyone. And thank you to Tom Robinson, and all my brothers and sisters in the LGBT community, who paved the way to make this podcast possible. — DJ El Toro
1. k anderson - 14 Year Old Me
2. Meshell Ndegeocello - Forget My Name
3. HERS - Warm
4. Justus Köhncke - Idee, Prozess, Ergebnis
5. The Soft Pink Truth - Let There Be Ebola Frost
6. Bikini Kill - Thurston Hearts the Who
7. Hervé & Zebra Katz - Tear the House Up
8. Trust - Rescue Mister (Null remix)
9. Aye Nako - For the Inverted
10. Gaytheist - Ock of Rages (Live)
11. Hurray for the Riff Raff - Body Electric
12. Lavender Country - Cryin’ These Cocksucking Tears
13. Patrick Cowley - Mockingbird Dream
14. Gem Club - Michael
15. Tyson Meade - Nihilists Need Love Too
16. Bob Mould - The War
17. Tacocat - Hey Girl
18. Tenderfoot - Do It My Love
19. Thalia Zedek Band - Fell So Hard
Listen here: (MP3)
You can subscribe to all of our podcasts here.