Update: Official Statement Regarding New Home & BFA Funding

IMG_3697-modified

Wow! What an overwhelming morning here at KEXP. Thank you for being part of it.

Earlier today we let you know that KEXP’s New Home at Seattle Center had been removed from the Senate’s Capital Budget for Building for the Arts (BFA) support, and asked you to help advocate to your senators immediately.

You took action right away sending emails and making phone calls, tweeting and texting and encouraging your neighbors to do the same. It was overwhelmingly heartwarming and deeply appreciated.

The Ways and Means Executive Session just concluded. Unfortunately, full funding for KEXP’s New Home in the Capital Budget was not restored. However, an amendment to fund $1 million (53% of the original amount) for KEXP’s New Home did pass.

The Senate budget will now move to the floor, and then the House and Senate versions will need to be reconciled before moving on to the Governor for his signature. That means there will be more opportunities for your voice to be heard, and more opportunities for us to restore the recommendations made through the Building for the Arts peer-reviewed competitive process.

With your help, we remain hopeful that full funding for all 14 BFA ranked arts organizations can be restored. In the meantime, please join us in thanking the senators you contacted. Let them know that you are grateful to them for listening to your concerns, respecting the work of the BFA panel, and continuing to enrich our vibrant Arts Community with their vote today.

We will continue to keep you posted as the budget moves through the State Legislature and, of course, on the construction progress of the New Home. We have more work to do. Stay tuned.

Thank you for your enduring support.

All my best,
Tom Mara
Executive Director

This entry was posted in KEXP, KEXP New Home. Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted April 9, 2015 at 10:45 am | Permalink

This might help…. Here’s a map showing the areas showing which district rep you should contact.

Make it rain!

2. joelarson4
    Posted April 9, 2015 at 10:46 am | Permalink

Find your specific state senator using this map: http://app.leg.wa.gov/districtfinder/default.aspx

3. Anon
    Posted April 9, 2015 at 10:47 am | Permalink

Here is a different perspective:

KEXP is listener powered. I have been supporting them since the KCMU days. I do not think it is appropriate to force the taxpayers of WA to fund KEXP. Are they all listeners? What stake would they have in KEXP? Would they be represented on the board? Could they influence what music gets (or doesn’t get) played? I say keep KEXP listener funded and don’t get entangled in politics.

Signed,
    a long time listener in Seattle

4. Derek
    Posted April 9, 2015 at 10:51 am | Permalink

For those of us who no longer live in Washington, seems worth contacting the reps to let them know how much money we continue to send back to Washington via our donations.

5. Jenn Busch
    Posted April 9, 2015 at 10:56 am | Permalink

I sent an email to all the senators! Hopefully they get their heads out of the clouds and recognize how important KEXP is.

Jenn
    Alameda, CA

6. Brian
    Posted April 9, 2015 at 11:01 am | Permalink

I did my part, and I wish the absolute best for the wonderful team KEXP houses.

7. Pam Kilborn-Miller
    Posted April 9, 2015 at 11:02 am | Permalink

I just called the senators’ offices then asked my networks and my family’s networks to do the same. Good luck!!!

8. Bruce Medhurst
    Posted April 9, 2015 at 11:06 am | Permalink

How can out of state listeners help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. Natalie
    Posted April 9, 2015 at 11:09 am | Permalink

DONE! :)

10. Justine Busse
    Posted April 9, 2015 at 11:13 am | Permalink

An excerpt from my email to our senators:

I have personally donated thousands of my own dollars to support this station and this new home. There is simply nothing like the programming KEXP offers the community locally and globally it is unique, authentic, grassroots, and deserves this financial support. I am all in and I want my senators to be too!

11. Corin Lines
    Posted April 9, 2015 at 11:15 am | Permalink

Cheryl!

I’m out in NYC but grew up in Bellevue and am a massive supporter of KEXP’s! All Senators have been emailed and all have also been called! I heard from Senator Keiser’s office that they have had over 200 calls… So the message is being HEARD! :D

corin lines

12. Rebeca
    Posted April 9, 2015 at 11:32 am | Permalink

I called the 4 senators senator Jeanne staff mentioned that she supports the bill and I asked how to help to make this happend they recommended to call senator Karen Keiser and Jim Honeyford.

13. Anna
    Posted April 9, 2015 at 11:39 am | Permalink

DONE!

14. Shari Trefethen
    Posted April 9, 2015 at 11:52 am | Permalink

I used the email template and customized it to make it my own message :) and have emailed all 4 senators! Power to KEXP!!!

15. Connie
    Posted April 9, 2015 at 11:58 am | Permalink

Sent my support for KEXP to the senators. I am hopeful as there are a lot of supporters for KEXP.

Thank you for all that you do!
    Connie

16. Chelsea Folley
    Posted April 9, 2015 at 1:37 pm | Permalink

reinstate the funds for KEXP’s new home!!

17. Glenn Allan
    Posted April 9, 2015 at 1:39 pm | Permalink

From State Senator Kohl-Welles:

Thanks for contacting me. I, along with many of my colleagues, were shocked and baffled by what happened which we did not learn about till yesterday ourselves. I can’t recall this ever happening before, which is directly counter to the norm of funding the projects down the vetted and ranked list till the funding runs out. The advantage of having this process is it avoids legislative cherry picking. And it’s especially surprising KEXP was deleted as it is number two on the list.

I am offering an amendment to restore the funding for KEXP and another to fund the entire BFA list. The executive session begins at noon.

Senator Jeanne Kohl-Welles