R.I.P. David Bowie

photo by Jimmy King

This seems impossible to believe, and the social media is buzzing that it’s a hoax, but this very sad news is true: just days after his 69th birthday, rock icon David Bowie is dead. Both his son and his business manager have confirmed that, after an 18-month battle with cancer, David Bowie passed peacefully on Sunday, January 10.

Words cannot describe Bowie’s impact and legacy, and as he’d very recently inspired KEXP’s DJs to commit an entire day of programming around his music and influence, we ask that you go back to the archive and listen again and again and again:

Listen to Intergalactic David Bowie Day

We know Bowie’s out there… ever our hero… ever the traveler… our starman waiting in the sky.

This entry was posted in KEXP and tagged . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Scott
    Posted January 11, 2016 at 1:11 am | Permalink

I hope you keep this very cool Intergalactic day a permanent fixture on the site. Didn’t get to listen on the day of, but would very much like to hear again in the years to come after just hearing of the passing of David Bowie.

Live on Goblin King!

2. Rey Alvarado
    Posted January 11, 2016 at 3:10 am | Permalink

David Bowie’s efforts within music, stage, fashion and the blending of all three are simply immeasurable. His desire to creat a concept album in 1969 relating to another musical persona had opened that door for many others. The fact that had a stellar group of musicians with him only served to add to its intrinsic greatness throughout. David never hit the road with less than terrific musicians-something purely displayed on his LIVE records. His work with Mick Ronson, Earl Slick, Stevie Ray Vaughm, and Reeves Gabrels only cements the importance of Bowie’s desires to let guitar sounds be front and center within his music. ? He knew the power of such contributions and allowed them to soar freely within the unique song structures he had created. On the album DAVD LIVE one can actually hear Earl Slick being turned loose so as to add and further refine a record that was already powerfully present on various levels. His guitar work is a full on class and exhibition for any guitarist wishing to hear and observe what live guitar should be during a performance wherein the singer is using his voice as a full on instrument as well.

3. Posted January 11, 2016 at 4:28 am | Permalink

I stream your station here in Jacksonville Florida and loved listening to your bday tribute to Bowie. I am so very saddened by his passing and it’s such a shock. He was a musical genius ahead of his time. Thank you for your showcase last Friday.

4. Mark Hob
    Posted January 11, 2016 at 5:16 am | Permalink

David Bowie is a great singer all time

5. Andrea Nash
    Posted January 11, 2016 at 6:09 am | Permalink

R.I.P. Starman. You were the first musician I ever obsessed over, and were responsible for igniting my passion for music. Thank you for your perpetual grace, you will be incredibly missed.

6. Xep
    Posted January 11, 2016 at 7:33 am | Permalink

For as long as I can remember, David Bowie has been my celebrity dream time visitor. He randomly shows up in my dreams and we hang out like we are old friends. They are never crazy dreams, mostly just comforting and familiar. I hope those don’t stop.

7. Stacey J
    Posted January 11, 2016 at 7:44 am | Permalink

Bowie has had such a huge influence on me. Bowie not only made it ok to be different, he celebrated it. It is because of him that I am proud to be a freak.

While listening to your tribute on Bowie’s birthday I thought how it is incredible to have this person in the world whose obvious passion for music and art has influenced so many lives. I’m so grateful that he was able to give the world his parting gift of Black Star.

I’m 47 now and just introduced my 9 year old son to Bowie’s incredible music and art a couple of weeks ago. A new fan is born…legends never die.

8. Jessica
    Posted January 11, 2016 at 8:49 am | Permalink

Saw Bowie in The Elephant Man in 1974 — pure Bowie at his theatrical best. Small theatre in Chicago. No make. I saw almost all of Bowie’s concerts here in Chicago starting with Ziggy Stardust. I am so sad but feel so fortunate to have grown up knowing and listening to Bowie with his one blue and one brown eye….

9. Ron Rice
    Posted January 11, 2016 at 9:07 am | Permalink

If Bowie made Black Star as a final gift to us, why not play the whole thing in his honor.

10. Brianna
    Posted January 11, 2016 at 9:08 am | Permalink

We spoke of you last night
    sipping winter in our tiny stools
    and he mispronounced you
    like the bow of a boat, like reverence

and I thought it uncanny
    when I called you away again,
    on a space oddity, and later
    as somehow you were

Soul Love sounded in sleep
    last night and I wake now to call you
    in reverence, with a bow,
    like the bow of your ship

Oh, Bowie, “the earth is a bitch”

11. Wendy Ehringer
    Posted January 11, 2016 at 10:04 am | Permalink

Bowie was truly a creative, magical, inspirational artist. Thank you for playing his music in memory. A perfect tribute.

12. Jon christiansen
    Posted January 11, 2016 at 10:10 am | Permalink

I saw Bowie in 1995 in Seattle. I had to look behind me several times to see why I felt like he was staring at me throughout the duration of the show, like he was singing directly to me, and figured I was standing in front of Iman or something. After the show I talked to two others who were at the show and not standing anywhere near me, or each other. I asked them what they thought of the show, and both of them said he was looking at them and singing the whole time.

Bowie’s power to do this was love, and why he is so greatly missed today. It will take a lot of being compassionate by an awful lot of people today to balance this loss.

Thank you David.

13. Sharon
    Posted January 11, 2016 at 11:46 am | Permalink

At 16 I got a job at a used records store in Phoenix by hiding a Manish Boys record and coming back for it once I’d gotten my Carl’s junior paycheck. I worked for trade in records and could play anything in the store that was open….heaven. David Bowie so lovely!

14. Caroline Cunningham
    Posted January 11, 2016 at 2:34 pm | Permalink

David Bowie in my opinion is the only artist of this genre who could align himself with the greatness, originality, creativity and imagination of Freddie Mercury. In essence, he created his own genre and brought an artistic nature in terms of composition and committment to style, to his craft which I do not believe can be said of many who call themsselves artists in the music industry. My favourite track is Absolute Beginners but I love so many of his songs and especially Ziggy Stardust and Star Man are just so full of imagination and futuristic impressions. I Absolutely Love You David Bowie! May your spirit return to inspire the world once more…..very soon.

15. Sara Monzo
    Posted January 11, 2016 at 3:30 pm | Permalink

Any word on a local vigil being held for our Starman? Was hoping to attend something at Seattle Center (like we did for Kurt way back when). Thought it was fitting that KEXP’s new home is there now. TIA.

16. Tristan
    Posted January 11, 2016 at 5:18 pm | Permalink

I listened to most of Intergalactic David Bowie Day on Friday, and most of the memorial programming today, and just want to offer a huge, heartfelt “THANK YOU!” to the KEXP family.

17. NeedsHelp
    Posted January 11, 2016 at 5:57 pm | Permalink

You URL:
    Doesn’t actually go to any specific audio.
    Can you please help us, how do we listen to Intergalactic Bowie Day?

Thanks.

18. Zoe
    Posted January 11, 2016 at 5:58 pm | Permalink

Thank you for your David Bowie coverage today. I turned it on around 10am while I worked from home, and have enjoyed it all day. It was great to hear his music, and hear people talking about him. He will be deeply missed.

19. Posted January 14, 2016 at 7:50 am | Permalink

Click the box that says “Launch Player” to stream the audio. You can also select other times throughout the day, as our “Day” ran from 6AM to 6PM, and you can also select the bit rate for streaming, depending on has fast your connection is. But to start, just click “Launch Player”.

20. Sarah in NY
    Posted January 26, 2016 at 1:48 pm | Permalink

Now that Jan 8th is more than two weeks ago, the stream of Intergalactic Bowie Day is no longer available. Is there any way to put it back up? Heard about this too late and would love a chance to listen. Thank you!

21. shana rose
    Posted January 28, 2016 at 11:53 am | Permalink

now that 14 days have passed, we can’t get back to the day this originally aired. has kexp archived it anywhere? i’d love to be able to revisit this.

22. Steve Hermes
    Posted January 29, 2016 at 11:21 am | Permalink

Rey Alvarado above comment is what I have been telling my friends for years. I was lucky enough to see a show when that live album was recorded. Rey, you are spot on and as an advid Bowie fan since early 70’s I appreciate your insight. Sad day:(