This year on Sunday, June 26th, the station “where the music matters” is joining forces with the legendary 5 Point Café for a day-long party in historic Tilikum Place park — right at the end of the annual Pride Parade route. The event features a soundtrack provided by KEXP DJs, and a beer garden, BBQ, and full cash bar.
Music kicks off at 10:00 AM with DJ El Toro, and continues into the afternoon with sets by Larry Rose, Alex, and Riz. Assorted Pints and cocktails will be available at the beer garden. Party admission is FREE. Cash bar with drink specials throughout the day and BBQ. This event is 21+ only, please.
El Toro – 10:00 AM
Larry Rose – 12:00 PM
Alex – 2:00 PM
Riz – 4:00 PM
“Pride gives anyone who chooses to participate an opportunity to bond together through love and music—and that’s vitally important. Because despite the steps forward America has taken, just celebrating together as LGBTQ individuals and allies still constitutes an act of bravery, as underscored by this month’s devastating hate crime at Pulse nightclub in Orlando, FL.
Pride feels more important than ever this year, and I’m grateful to everyone who helps make KEXP a safe, welcoming home for music lovers from all walks of life.” — KEXP’s DJ El Toro (aka Kurt B. Reighley)
KEXP is proud to celebrate LGBT Pride Month with a variety of programs, podcasts, such as:
• Music That Matters #517: The Big Gay Podcast 2016 (aka The Angry Gay Podcast) features 16 LGBTQ artists including locals SassyBlack, Erik Blood, and Tacocat, plus the premiere of a new Thalia Zedek Band song (“All I Need”).
• KEXP’s Song of the Gay celebrates Pride from Monday, June 20th, through Friday, June 24th, with free downloads from LGBTQ artists including Mykki Blanco, Alex Andwandter, and the Spook School.
• On Wednesday, June 22nd, from 9:00 PM until 1:00 AM, DJ El Toro hosts the annual “Gay-EXP” extravaganza, featuring four hours of songs by, for, and about the LGBTQ community.
• DJ Cheryl Waters kicks off pride weekend with four hours of music from LGBTQ artists on Friday, June 24th from 10:00 AM to 2:00 PM, featuring past live in-studio performances from THEEsatifaction, Courtney Barnett, Brandi Carlile, and Bob Mould.
• A special edition of Audioasis on Saturday, June 25th, spotlighting LGBTQ music from the Pacific Northwest. Highlights include an in-studio session with DoNormaal at 8:30 PM and the re-broadcast of a 2006 live set by Gossip at 6:30 PM.